***Official Panic Thread: 2012-2013 Season***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think there's something wrong with people when we're still within a playoff spot, but they'd rather we miss altogether to avoid losing in the first round. The chances of us getting beyond the first are pretty small, but with that said, the experience our younger players gain from playing in the postseason may be the kind of thing that keeps them from going on this sort of down-swing in the future.

TristanH

Apr 22, 2012
Ottawa
I agree! When they put Pageau into the lineup it gave us a spark. A body coming up that has something to prove and a lot of energy.

Binghampton's first playoff game is on Saturday... so maybe Thursday would be a good game for Stone to come up?

Finally last night Maclean started making some changes to the lines in the third period. I can't stand it when there aren't in game adjustments when lines are struggling... we are too predictable at times. I found that when we switched things around it created a different dynamic and made us more effective.

We cannot kid ourselves into thinking Spezza is coming back into the lineup anytime soon at a high level. The guy isn't skating... You can see with Cowen that he is struggling with conditioning as well.

Karlsson as well.. We pray he can come back at a high level.. but we might be disappointed by what version of Karlsson we see...

I can honestly say that Benoit did an awesome job on this team.... Cowen is a great D... he just needs to get his timing and conditioning back..

I say lets shake up thing go all offence :sarcasm:

MM9-Zibby-Stone
Cony-DaBosta-Silf
Greening-Turris-Alfie
Lats-Pageau-Smith

Weirdcock-Gonchar
Methot - cowen
Phillips - Gryba

That would confuse opposition

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I agree! When they put Pageau into the lineup it gave us a spark. A body coming up that has something to prove and a lot of energy.

Binghampton's first playoff game is on Saturday... so maybe Thursday would be a good game for Stone to come up?

Finally last night Maclean started making some changes to the lines in the third period. I can't stand it when there aren't in game adjustments when lines are struggling... we are too predictable at times. I found that when we switched things around it created a different dynamic and made us more effective.

We cannot kid ourselves into thinking Spezza is coming back into the lineup anytime soon at a high level. The guy isn't skating... You can see with Cowen that he is struggling with conditioning as well.

Karlsson as well.. We pray he can come back at a high level.. but we might be disappointed by what version of Karlsson we see...

I can honestly say that Benoit did an awesome job on this team.... Cowen is a great D... he just needs to get his timing and conditioning back..

Yeah, blow up Binghamton's chances at a playoff run. Talk about panic. You have a team of AHL players anyways, calling up more AHL players isn't going to fix that. In fact, it will have the opposite effect and hurt the entire organization in the long run.

No the best course of action is to go with what you have now. If you want to further muck things up then do what you suggested. There is no real NEED to win this year, except for Alfie potentially not going to be back. This team WILL get better the next few seasons, jeez just chill out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Don't understand the panic if the Jets and Caps are the teams that can pass us. If one of them passes us they automatically go to 3rd place which will always leave the other below us. The game today will only amplify that.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Here's what we need today.

1. Winnipeg and Washington has a regulation winner. Neither team has really lost in regulation at all recently, but hey. Maybe it'll happen. Absolute optimal situation would be Washington winning in regulation, although if we can beat Washington I'd rather Winnipeg win this one.
2. Carolina beats New York Izzles. Considering New York has 18 pts in their last 10 games compared to Carolina's 5... again, not too likely.
3. Florida beats NYR. Again... not too likely. NYR has destroyed Florida in the past few days and have been flying high recently. Rags 7-2-1 and on a 3 game winning streak whereas Florida is 3-7 with 6 straight losses.

I have faith that at least one thing will go our way. And, as George Michael always said - you've gotta have faith.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I am panicking in an optimistic fashion and have registered in both threads.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
I am both saddened and perturbed by the amount of posts suggesting Lehner should replace Andy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I say lets shake up thing go all offence :sarcasm:

MM9-Zibby-Stone
Cony-DaBosta-Silf
Greening-Turris-Alfie
Lats-Pageau-Smith

Weirdcock-Gonchar
Methot - cowen
Phillips - Gryba

That would confuse opposition

Id like to see Alfie moved onto Zibs line. That should help with the matchup for Turris, not a bad idea bring up Dacosta and Stone they are playing well and scoring.

Silf-Zibby-Alfie
Conacher-DaCosta-Michalek
Lats-Turris-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

This could spark the offense, I know not having condra on the pk hurts but seriously this guy couldnt put a puck in the ocean. This team needs to score and have different matchups because this is not working.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Don't understand the panic if the Jets and Caps are the teams that can pass us. If one of them passes us they automatically go to 3rd place which will always leave the other below us. The game today will only amplify that.

Have you payed attention to how Washington and Winnipeg are playing? Not to mention both teams have the tie breaker. Good news is we will know where we stand after Thursday as that is the last game for the Jets.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Stone was absolutely tearing up the AHL, I might buy all the love for him, but right now I just don't see it. He isn't even a point a game guy there right now - close, but not quite. What's more, his stint here showed that his skating simply isn't NHL calibre. At present, he is a slightly slower version of Latendresse. He needs a summer of power skating to get him to where he needs to be.

On the broader subject of panic, thinking that players from the AHL, or fresh from junior, will somehow save us is ridiculous. I have heard Cody Ceci's name mentioned - I can't think of anything worse for that kid's development than to dump him into an intense, playoff type atmosphere and ask him to save our season. If he goes out there and goes minus two on the night, looking bad on a big goal that hurts us, what does that do for his confidence? Leave him in Bingo and let him learn and develop.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Here's what we need today.

1. Winnipeg and Washington has a regulation winner. Neither team has really lost in regulation at all recently, but hey. Maybe it'll happen. Absolute optimal situation would be Washington winning in regulation, although if we can beat Washington I'd rather Winnipeg win this one.
2. Carolina beats New York Izzles. Considering New York has 18 pts in their last 10 games compared to Carolina's 5... again, not too likely.
3. Florida beats NYR. Again... not too likely. NYR has destroyed Florida in the past few days and have been flying high recently. Rags 7-2-1 and on a 3 game winning streak whereas Florida is 3-7 with 6 straight losses.

I have faith that at least one thing will go our way. And, as George Michael always said - you've gotta have faith.

A Winnipeg regulation loss is better for us. If they lose, we only need two more points to go our way. If Washington loses, and we beat them Thursday, we could still potentially miss the playoffs if we go 0-2 and Wash wins their last game.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Wish we had better ROW, we have the lowest in the east out of the 8 playoff teams + winnipeg

source

Jul 13, 2008
A Winnipeg regulation loss is better for us. If they lose, we only need two more points to go our way. If Washington loses, and we beat them Thursday, we could still potentially miss the playoffs if we go 0-2 and Wash wins their last game.

As much as I want Winnipeg to make it in place of Washington, it's all about the Sens right now. We have to hope for everything to go our way at this point.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
If you want the Sens in the playoffs then tonight, as much as I don't like it, we have to hope for a caps victory in regulation. That will give Ottawa 2 games at hand plus the one point lead over the Jets.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Hello Sens fans,

I'm an Ottawa boy born-and-raised, but I have to say that it really irks me when people are suddenly acting like this team is underachieving. We knew from the outset this season that the Sens were going to be a young, defensive team that were going to struggle to find the back of the net.

Fast forward about four months, and now everyone has lost sight of the fact that, while they are our hometown team, the Sens still are an 8th-11th place hockey club.

Take out Karlsson, and remember that Anderson isn't 100%, it's a miracle this team is even in the playoff picture!

My verdict on this whole panic situation is pretty simple - the Jets don't have enough games left.

The Sens control their own destiny, and for the sake of their warm-and-cool fan base (one bad season = 2000 empty seats per night), I hope they make the playoffs.

What happens in the playoffs is pretty simple too:

Pittsburgh (if healthy): Get swept.
Boston : Get swept/Lose in Five.
Washington : Lose in Five/Six.
Montreal : Probably win because the Sens are better built for playoff hockey.

Thoughts?

malcolmedge

May 4, 2010
Vancouver
Actually, if its a regulation loss things get really messed up.

If either team loses in 60 min then its a win and you're in situation for the Sens.

Win loses they can't pass Sen we know that.

However, say the Jets come back and win in regulation. That is a loss for the Caps, then if the Sens win Thursday, they knock out the Caps as they'll have 1 game to make up 4 points.

Cheer for a regulation loss guys. If it goes to OT put on your Ovechkin jerseys and cheer like you've never cheered before.

cdavis*

Hello Sens fans,

I'm an Ottawa boy born-and-raised, but I have to say that it really irks me when people are suddenly acting like this team is underachieving. We knew from the outset this season that the Sens were going to be a young, defensive team that were going to struggle to find the back of the net.

Fast forward about four months, and now everyone has lost sight of the fact that, while they are our hometown team, the Sens still are an 8th-11th place hockey club.

Take out Karlsson, and remember that Anderson isn't 100%, it's a miracle this team is even in the playoff picture!

My verdict on this whole panic situation is pretty simple - the Jets don't have enough games left.

The Sens control their own destiny, and for the sake of their warm-and-cool fan base (one bad season = 2000 empty seats per night), I hope they make the playoffs.

What happens in the playoffs is pretty simple too:

Pittsburgh (if healthy): Get swept.
Boston : Get swept/Lose in Five.
Washington : Lose in Five/Six.
Montreal : Probably win because the Sens are better built for playoff hockey.

Thoughts?

I don't think it is crazy to think Ottawa could upset Pittsburgh. Upsets often happen to teams that are too confident and teams that try and buy a lot of talent around the trade deadline to stock up (both potentially Pittsburgh).

malcolmedge

May 4, 2010
Vancouver
A loss by Winnipeg and a win Clinches. Two wins clinch or two Winnipeg losses.

Also two regulation loses by the Caps knock the Caps out. Once again Sens fans want this to be a 60 minute game.

1 Loss (Jets) + 1 Win (Sens) = Playoffs for Sens
2 Losses (Jets) = Playoffs for Sens
2 Wins (Sens) = Playoffs for Sens

1 Regulation Losses (Caps) + Sens beating Caps Thursday = Playoffs for Sens
2 Regulation Losses (Caps) + 2 Sens Wins = Playoffs for Sens.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Thank you Panthers and thank you Capitals. Semi-thank you Carolina. After a bad night for our competition, perhaps we can lay off the panic for a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad