*OFFICIAL* Ottawa 67's 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
On that note I was at the rink this am and spoke to somebody who knows the Mete family. Apparently they want him to go to a team that offers the Blight academy which is the private schooling. She told me 4 teams offer it in the O,Ottawa,Barrie, Oshawa and London so Owen Sound is limited as London is completely out of picks right now but am not sure how the pick cupboard is for Oshawa and Barrie.

I believe it is the 'Blythe' academy. It is an International high school.

I hope the 67s make it happen.

London posters are suggesting they don't have the required picks in hand for that kind of deal.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
On that note I was at the rink this am and spoke to somebody who knows the Mete family. Apparently they want him to go to a team that offers the Blight academy which is the private schooling. She told me 4 teams offer it in the O,Ottawa,Barrie, Oshawa and London so Owen Sound is limited as London is completely out of picks right now but am not sure how the pick cupboard is for Oshawa and Barrie.

Blyth Academy also has a campus in Missisauga,Burlington and 3 Toromto area spots

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I don't think Urbanic was ever at camp. At least the roster I had from Thursday did not show him, nor did I notice him on the ice. As for Hill, I was really impressed with him on Thursday and Friday afternoon. His skating looked better, he battled and won a lot of pucks and made quite a few moves around players with the puck. Pearce was not at the camp yesterday afternoon. They were down to 21 skaters, so a lot of were let go after the morning session.
Bell has a hairline fracture in his ankle and has a walking cast. Vlajkov 'tweaked' his hip. Bradford was on the ice both days before the scrimmages with Donovan going through skating drills. Luentiniemi (sp?) is in Minnesota I was told training before he goes to LA's camp. They all should be back for the season opener.

duffer12

Nov 17, 2013
If u look on the 67's website, the team is posted there. Move mcdonald up front and add Vlakov to D. Mercer is still there also, but hasn't signed yet.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I believe it is the 'Blythe' academy. It is an International high school.

I hope the 67s make it happen.

London posters are suggesting they don't have the required picks in hand for that kind of deal.

Thanks wasn't sure about the spelling.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Blyth Academy also has a campus in Missisauga,Burlington and 3 Toromto area spots

Not all campus have each grade level. I believe some are only grade 7 and 8 for example. They are relatively small so maybe not all of them offer the same enriched programs. It could be that only those four centre's offer what he needs?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As mentioned above, the 67s website has the current roster minus Vlajkov. So that gives them 8 D-Men including Davis and Brown. It is typical to keep 8 guys early in the year so I imagine that there will be no changes there barring trades.

Up front we have the top 10 which are initially identifiable (Bradford, Bell, Konecny, Salituro, Hill, Addison, Tyanulin, Todd, Barron, and Studnicka). Then add AAA, McDonald, Fanjoy, and Graham. Dulong is still listed but apparently has been cut.

Goalies are clearly up in the air with Herbst and Lazarev the two clear front runner but who starts is anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Upon reflection I noticed another thing this AM. The coach was having fun! At one point Bradford jumped in a passing drill but did not have a partner so Brown jumped in went down the ice and scored, he then reacted like a little kid. It was nice to see. He also skated a lot with the guys and encouraged them. No clue if he's gonna be a good coach but what a difference from Byrne. Last three years I don't recall Byrne having fun!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Upon reflection I noticed another thing this AM. The coach was having fun! At one point Bradford jumped in a passing drill but did not have a partner so Brown jumped in went down the ice and scored, he then reacted like a little kid. It was nice to see. He also skated a lot with the guys and encouraged them. No clue if he's gonna be a good coach but what a difference from Byrne. Last three years I don't recall Byrne having fun!

I'm pretty sure Byrne was a mannequin.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I may be a minority here but I think that the fourth line should be a rookie line. Keeping an OA and playing them on the 4th line is a waste of skin. T^o me an OA is keepable if they bring a steady influence to the team and can produce or lead.

That is not a 4th line player.

having rookies on the 4th line adds some excitement to the team and also prepares that line for next year.

Remember when Killer used to bring lines up each year.
1st line was teh older players in last year
2nd line was a checking scoring line that was getting ready to take over the next season
3rd line was the checking line
4th line was usually rookies getting used to laying in the O.

It seemed to work great before except for the draft do you see it any different.

Also the idea of having a top 6 draftee for 4 years seems stupid to me (Sorry OMG) but if the kid is good you are probably only gong to have him 3 years at best.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
:laugh::laugh:

Just too good I'm gonna sleep well tonight.

I talked to people who were around him in Tier II and he wasn't like that at all then. He was animated and energetic and very involved in coaching and motivating. Somewhere in the time since, he changed to the expressionless and apparently unhappy man we saw the past two years. Hopefully, he will find his mojo again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I may be a minority here but I think that the fourth line should be a rookie line. Keeping an OA and playing them on the 4th line is a waste of skin. T^o me an OA is keepable if they bring a steady influence to the team and can produce or lead.

That is not a 4th line player.

having rookies on the 4th line adds some excitement to the team and also prepares that line for next year.

Remember when Killer used to bring lines up each year.
1st line was teh older players in last year
2nd line was a checking scoring line that was getting ready to take over the next season
3rd line was the checking line
4th line was usually rookies getting used to laying in the O.

It seemed to work great before except for the draft do you see it any different.

Also the idea of having a top 6 draftee for 4 years seems stupid to me (Sorry OMG) but if the kid is good you are probably only gong to have him 3 years at best.

I highly doubt anyone would disagree with you regarding the 4th line. There are some minor exceptions but generally speaking, you are correct.

Your logic on the drafted player is off though. Players jumping to the NHL early is an exceptional circumstance. There are usually as many as 10 or 12 players per year that are in the NHL before they are 20 but that is divided by the three CHL leagues (55ish teams), Europe and USA-NCAA. I don't think OHL teams can make decisions based on an expectation of a player leaving early with the exception of the can't miss superstars like McKinnon. There is always a risk but you need to make decisions going into the OHL draft to take best available always.

I think in Ottawa. Only Monahan left early over the last 20 years. I can't think of one other.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I think in Ottawa. Only Monahan left early over the last 20 years. I can't think of one other.

Donovan sort of counts. He played part of a year here and then went to play with San Jose and in the "I". Before that, I think Doug Smith was the last to do so.

It is not that common.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Donovan sort of counts. He played part of a year here and then went to play with San Jose and in the "I". Before that, I think Doug Smith was the last to do so.

It is not that common.

And Dono would have been gone at the start of the season if it hadn't been for the lock-out. He left as soon as the NHL was back on the ice.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
I like the look of the emerging roster and am optimistic for the season. There's a good mix of the proven, fresh potential, and a new approach to getting the most out of them. Can't wait for the exhibition games to get the first sense of how they gel and respond.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
A few interesting names still reside on the roster page for the 67's. My assumption is the posted roster is what they will carry into exhibition.

Kevin Groulx, Connor Graham, Dylan McDonald, and Ben Fanjoy seem to have all made the cut for exhibition to give them 15 forwards. Brown, Mercer, and Davis have all made the cut for exhibition to give them 9 D-Men.

Mercer is a big boy at 6'3" 220. I didn't take in training cap but if anyone can speak to his mobility it would be appreciated. Groulx looks like he may have packed on the beef too. A couple big kids here. We can use the size for sure provided they are mobile.

No surprise in net. It is nice to hear Herbst is focused now on hockey and not rehabbing and getting healthy. I hope that mindset change translates into success. As much fanfare as Lazarev brings to the ice, Herbst is the one we really need to take on that role considering what we paid for him. It would also be great for him to prove himself after the road he took to get here. I am pulling for him.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It all sounds somewhat positive so far. I am really holding out hope that AAA has matured a bit and this 'new opportunity' lights a fire under his butt and he uses it for motivation.

I assumed Urbanic would be released. Dulong isn't a surprise but I thouht there was a chance for him to centre the 4th line.

No surprise about Hill either. I didn't like him much last year and doubted he would change my mind much this year either. If I am being completely honest, if we could package him for a 19 year old big D-Man of the Cajkovsky style, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think we have enough up front to do that.

Interesting regarding Herbst. He clearly needed a summer to refocus and get mentally prepared to play. His focus was on rehab and just getting on ice after those surgeries. Now that he is healthy, he can get back that competitive edge that had him drafted 1st round!

Great news regarding Addison. I really liked that trade a lot. We were lacking the game he brings to the ice.

Vlajkov injured? What are the odds of that happening?

Does it look like Pearce will stick? How does the mobility of the defense look?

Here's some feedback on the D. Take it with a grain of salt though as I only saw the saturday practice and 3 on 3 scrimmage. Also Lintuniemi and Vlajkov weren't on the ice and the players didn't have names or numbers on the jerseys so even though I was looking out for Mercer and Brown am not completely sure was looking at the right kids.
Here it goes:Middleton looked good. The best of the bunch out there.Seemed to be a bit of fire under him. Skating was improved.
Duchesne looked OK still not great feet, he looks like he's gonna be a 4/5 type guy with toughness.Needs to become positionnally smarter to compensate for his speed.
Henley looked good and even stronger physically not flashy but efficient. Would not be surprised he's in our top 4 by year end.
Guy seems to be a bit wider in the shoulders and remains a good skater. Was unable to judge if he improved in his own end and on one on one battles due to the type of practice.
Davis was well Davis good effort,big body but mobility remains an issue. Could be in trouble see below.
Brown well taller than I expected (must have grown over the summer) but needs to fill in. Good fluid skater and could eventually be the type of player you're looking for OMG.
Likely needs a bit of time in junior A. Wouldn't be surprised we saw him 2nd half of the year.
Mercer is a big kid reminds me a bit of callaghan but better mobility. Quite liked him and believe he's got good upside.
So that's 9 Dmen so likely Brown starts in junior A. I wouldn't be surprised Davis is traded early on to make room for Mercer who is as big ,two years younger and a better skater.
That's all I've got.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Here's some feedback on the D. Take it with a grain of salt though as I only saw the saturday practice and 3 on 3 scrimmage. Also Lintuniemi and Vlajkov weren't on the ice and the players didn't have names or numbers on the jerseys so even though I was looking out for Mercer and Brown am not completely sure was looking at the right kids.
Here it goes:Middleton looked good. The best of the bunch out there.Seemed to be a bit of fire under him. Skating was improved.
Duchesne looked OK still not great feet, he looks like he's gonna be a 4/5 type guy with toughness.Needs to become positionnally smarter to compensate for his speed.
Henley looked good and even stronger physically not flashy but efficient. Would not be surprised he's in our top 4 by year end.
Guy seems to be a bit wider in the shoulders and remains a good skater. Was unable to judge if he improved in his own end and on one on one battles due to the type of practice.
Davis was well Davis good effort,big body but mobility remains an issue. Could be in trouble see below.
Brown well taller than I expected (must have grown over the summer) but needs to fill in. Good fluid skater and could eventually be the type of player you're looking for OMG.
Likely needs a bit of time in junior A. Wouldn't be surprised we saw him 2nd half of the year.
Mercer is a big kid reminds me a bit of callaghan but better mobility. Quite liked him and believe he's got good upside.
So that's 9 Dmen so likely Brown starts in junior A. I wouldn't be surprised Davis is traded early on to make room for Mercer who is as big ,two years younger and a better skater.
That's all I've got.

Brown won't be in Jr A. The Gloucester Rangers (team with his rights) don't want 16 year olds on their team. So he either makes the big club, or plays Major Midget AAA or Jr B.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Has Gloucester changed their policy? I'm sure they had 4 sixteen year olds on their team last year.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Has Gloucester changed their policy? I'm sure they had 4 sixteen year olds on their team last year.

Yes, they want a contending team immediately. Might be because of the financial situation of the team, and a top team brings more revenue. That's pure speculation on my part though. But they traded away their top protect, and sent the other 16 year olds down to Jr B/AAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce