Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with defenseman Dylan McIlrath.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yes, I stand with them and I believe... Inferno and Dactyl as starch non believers in McIlrath.

I honestly don't even want to give him a chance, I've seen enough, its been long enough. I'd rather trade him for another project.

Yeah ok man.

"I've never seen a player play but can tell you that he sucks"

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
I think he steps on to the third pair/7th dman this season and sticks with the big club. I am certain that he has talent as he has shown being a top pair AHL guy, although he has taken a bit longer to get to this point than I originally hoped at the time he was drafted it is nice to have a huge guy whom defends well. He is solid imo (even has some untapped offensive potential), and he will get his chance to prove his worth this season. Now is the time to take that opportunity and run with it, I'm pulling for the kid

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
You mean when no one jumped in for Rolfe?--including his defense partner Brad Park. Park was hardly a player who was afraid of anybody.

It's true Girardi should have stepped in in that instance but it's not like Gaborik didn't put himself in a bad situation--pushing it when he would have been better off skating away. IMO--you should just let it go. Avery fought Carcillo later in the game and did pretty well against a bigger player--he was the best the Rangers had to offer at that time which led to Sather bringing in Prust and Shelley later in the season.

Not to side track the thread more, but Gaborik started that fight, Tortorella had clear instructions to not take penalties like third man in, and none of the other three rangers on the ice get even a mention in that situation.

Not directed at you, eco, just this topic but:
Seems like an insanely silly thing to hold onto years later. Nothing happened during the fight, Carcillo became a Ranger (if that shows you what actual hockey people think of the dust up) and Girardi was a top pair d man on three conference finalists. If that still bugs you then maybe there's a little more than bias at play here.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think he steps on to the third pair/7th dman this season and sticks with the big club. I am certain that he has talent as he has shown being a top pair AHL guy, although he has taken a bit longer to get to this point than I originally hoped at the time he was drafted it is nice to have a huge guy whom defends well. He is solid imo (even has some untapped offensive potential), and he will get his chance to prove his worth this season. Now is the time to take that opportunity and run with it, I'm pulling for the kid

I agree that Mcilrath has some untapped offensive potential. He has a good shot and can use his strong north-south skating to move up into shooting position. You won't see it in the NHL the first couple of seasons, but he can get 15-25 points in his prime.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I think a prime Jeff Beukeboom would have a hard time getting even a cup of coffee in the modern NHL. He was a necessary evil on the dead puck Rangers, especially considering the fact that he was there to protect one of the best defenseman the game has ever seen. The thing is though, Leetch was so damned good that he was able to cover up for all of the dumb, positionally ******** plays that Beukeboom was

Four Stanley cups and he barely contributed to any of them.:shakehead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
this

I like Diaz and think he can fill in similar to Hunwick, not as versitle since he's a righty and not very comfortable on the left side. I like his skating and especially his shot. The people touting him as better the Klein ignore the fact he's been on like 5 teams in 3 years. They should really ask them selves if they're smarter than the management of 5 nhl clubs who let him go.

We'll have injuries, hopefully few than last year so Diaz will get his shot to fill in, but he's not taking a full time spot from anyone.

To add to what you say Diaz moves from one team to another year after year--for 6th and 7th round draft picks. If he were really good he'd bring back more than that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's McIlrath's time to sink or swim.

There's little point in debating about him at this point - he's either going to take the next step in becoming an NHL player for us, or he isn't.

Etem, Miller and McIlrath all enter this season at a crossroads. We can speculate all we want, but they're either going to show themselves be long-term players for us, or they aren't.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

There's little point in debating about him at this point - he's either going to take the next step in becoming an NHL player for us, or he isn't.

Etem, Miller and McIlrath all enter this season at a crossroads. We can speculate all we want, but they're either going to show themselves be long-term players for us, or they aren't.

Unfortunately as it stands now, we're banking quite hard on two of those kids taking a big step forward. Miller, Etem, or Fast, as it stands now, will be on Stepan's RW when the season starts. That's asking a lot of those three. That's a position where we need consistent production.

Can they bring it?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Unfortunately as it stands now, we're banking quite hard on two of those kids taking a big step forward. Miller, Etem, or Fast, as it stands now, will be on Stepan's RW when the season starts. That's asking a lot of those three. That's a position where we need consistent production.

Can they bring it?

I think Miller, Etem, Fast, Lindberg and McIlrath are a key, though often overlooked component of this team's success for the upcoming season.

If somehow the Rangers hit a grand slam (plus) and all five become key contributors, it's a huge boost (think 1991 Rangers kid of boost). The boost goes down from there, depending on if three or two or one of them takes the next step, or if they flat line, regress or simply don't make the jump.

That's five players at a crossroads, on a team of 18 skaters. I think either way the Rangers are a competitive team this season that makes the playoffs. But I believe the advancement (or lack thereof) from those five is probably the difference between making the playoffs and being a legit contender.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I think Miller, Etem, Fast, Lindberg and McIlrath are a key, though often overlooked component of this team's success for the upcoming season.

If somehow the Rangers hit a grand slam (plus) and all five become key contributors, it's a huge boost (think 1991 Rangers kid of boost). The boost goes down from there, depending on if three or two or one of them takes the next step, or if they flat line, regress or simply don't make the jump.

That's five players at a crossroads, on a team of 18 skaters. I think either way the Rangers are a competitive team this season that makes the playoffs. But I believe the advancement (or lack thereof) from those five is probably the difference between making the playoffs and being a legit contender.

If Klein isn't moved, I don't see Mcilrath making the jump - there isn't a spot to jump to and if the Rangers were convinced that he's ready then Diaz doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Etem is at a crossroads and I don't see Miller making a huge jump but maybe taking another small step. I think Fast is ready and I'm curious to see the amount of faith put into Lindberg by the Rangers' brass.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Klein isn't moved, I don't see Mcilrath making the jump - there isn't a spot to jump to and if the Rangers were convinced that he's ready then Diaz doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Etem is at a crossroads and I don't see Miller making a huge jump but maybe taking another small step. I think Fast is ready and I'm curious to see the amount of faith put into Lindberg by the Rangers' brass.

I doubt they're convinced before camp, but that doesn't mean they're convinced he's not going to make it either.

Diaz is as disposable as a player can possibly be in this league. His signing means absolutely nothing IMO. If McIlrath doesn't impress at camp, Diaz can be 7 decently enough. If McIlrath does impress, Diaz can be sent down, waived, whatever applies to his exact situation. They didn't go out a sign a sure fire NHL player to a contract thus sealing McIlrath's fate. It's a guy to compete with, and a guy who can plausibly win the spot if Dylan falters.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Granted I don't know helluva lot about Etem so only going to comment on Miller. Why is Miller at crossroads? So if he has an inconsistent year and/or something similar to the year he just had, we should write him off? If he doesn't break through next season he is just as likely to do it the following season. Remember it took Kreider little while to figure it out too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Granted I don't know helluva lot about Etem so only going to comment on Miller. Why is Miller at crossroads? So if he has an inconsistent year and/or something similar to the year he just had, we should write him off? If he doesn't break through next season he is just as likely to do it the following season. Remember it took Kreider little while to figure it out too.

I think there comes a point for a team when you move a different direction. Not because a player will never get it, but because the window for him to get it with your team is closing and/or other options present themself.

At some point, if Miller doesn't take the next steps with his game, the Rangers will have to decide if they want to pursue a player who more readily contributes to their success and allows them to capitalize on their current window. This player may come from inside the organization, or he may come from outside the organization. Said player would, theoretically, receive and/or earn ice time that comes at the expense of players who didn't take advantage of their opportunity - which could include Miller.

The question wouldn't so much be whether Miller's NHL career is over, so much as whether the Rangers go with guys who potentially show them more - be it Fast, Etem, Lindberg or whoever. If that happens, it doesn't mean Miller is done as a Ranger, but it does take away some level of opportunity, if not ice time. That makes it that much harder to take those next steps.

The Rangers would also have to weigh the cost of resigning him, his potential value to other teams and whether they want to cut bait and try and recoup some return from a team that may be interested in Miller and capable of providing an opportunity.

In his upcoming age 22/23 season, and with several pro years of experience under his belt, Miller is expected to find a consistent niche on this team. He doesn't have to be the finished product, but he does need to win and keep a regular role. If he doesn't, the Rangers are likely to explore other options at his expense.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I think there comes a point for a team when you move a different direction. Not because a player will never get it, but because the window for him to get it with your team is closing and/or other options present themself.

At some point, if Miller doesn't take the next steps with his game, the Rangers will have to decide if they want to pursue a player who more readily contributes to their success and allows them to capitalize on their current window. This player may come from inside the organization, or he may come from outside the organization. Said player would, theoretically, receive and/or earn ice time that comes at the expense of players who didn't take advantage of their opportunity - which could include Miller.

The question wouldn't so much be whether Miller's NHL career is over, so much as whether the Rangers go with guys who potentially show them more - be it Fast, Etem, Lindberg or whoever. If that happens, it doesn't mean Miller is done as a Ranger, but it does take away some level of opportunity, if not ice time. That makes it that much harder to take those next steps.

The Rangers would also have to weigh the cost of resigning him, his potential value to other teams and whether they want to cut bait and try and recoup some return from a team that may be interested in Miller and capable of providing an opportunity.

In his upcoming age 22/23 season, and with several pro years of experience under his belt, Miller is expected to find a consistent niche on this team. He doesn't have to be the finished product, but he does need to win and keep a regular role. If he doesn't, the Rangers are likely to explore other options at his expense.

Yeah, well that is the nature of things. Sometimes it's not that you don't feel someone will be a solid contributor, sometimes you don't think they will contribute ENOUGH, or SOON ENOUGH, and so you use resources to fill that need NOW.

RangerFan10

If I remember it right, the team can send players that are waiver-eligible down to the A before the season starts, but after the deadline passes (I think it's a couple weeks prior to the season starting?) they need to clear waivers to get recalled.

Would it shock anyone really if McIlrath just spends another year in the AHL, with Raphael Diaz being the 7th d-man and Brady Skjei and Mat Bodie are the callups should somehow two d-men get hurt?

I don't know about carrying 2 d-men on the roster for the entire season, especially when you consider there were nights where we had two forwards with day-to-day injuries that required two call-ups to be in the lineup at forward. We're good enough on D where we don't need to roll 7 defensemen.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

miller is already an nhl forward. shows signs of top 9 nhl talent. prob 3rd line.

etem. same. similar players really. shows signs of top 9 nhl ability. ditto, 3rd line.

fast. same again but smarter than the 2 above. but again, already an nhl player.

lindberg is the most nhl ready kid on the farm. ahead of mcilrath, skjei and hrivik. he's the most ready hartford player not on the rangers roster right now. he's gonna be an nhl player.

mcilrath. unproven ahl defenseman. hes proven nothing at the nhl level. he's the only one at a "crossroads".

imo, mcilrath, given our already strong defense, has little to do with us making the playoffs this upcoming season.

potentially, his abscence from- given diaz and klein, or his addition to the lineup, makes little difference either way.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
miller is already an nhl forward. shows signs of top 9 nhl talent. prob 3rd line.

etem. same. similar players really. shows signs of top 9 nhl ability. ditto, 3rd line.

fast. same again but smarter than the 2 above. but again, already an nhl player.

lindberg is the most nhl ready kid on the farm. ahead of mcilrath, skjei and hrivik. he's the most ready hartford player not on the rangers roster right now. he's gonna be an nhl player.

mcilrath. unproven ahl defenseman. hes proven nothing at the nhl level. he's the only one at a "crossroads".

imo, mcilrath, given our already strong defense, has little to do with us making the playoffs this upcoming season.

potentially, his abscence from- given diaz and klein, or his addition to the lineup, makes little difference either way.

With regards to Miller, Etem and Fast it's less a matter of them becoming NHL players so much as it is question of what kind of NHL players they will be and/or whether they can more effective in their role.

If Miller and Etem can post say 15 goals and 30-35 points a piece, that's very helpful. If they are more in the 10 goal, 25 point range that's actually a pretty significant difference.

With Miller, I think the Rangers would be thrilled if he had a season similar to Dubinsky at roughly the same age (22/23 season).

Of the bunch, Miller is my personal favorite. I believe he has 20 goal,40-50 point talent. While I don't expect that from him this season, I recognize that this is probably his best window to show that he's making significant progress in that direction.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, well that is the nature of things. Sometimes it's not that you don't feel someone will be a solid contributor, sometimes you don't think they will contribute ENOUGH, or SOON ENOUGH, and so you use resources to fill that need NOW.

Bingo.

I think all the players I mentioned will play in the NHL. It's more a matter of whether they fit the needs of the Rangers now and in the more immediate future.

The odds of all of them making it here are probably pretty well below average, though it would be a pleasant development. However, if even two of the lot can take the next step and contribute at a higher level, it will make a signficant difference.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Disagree with Miler being at the crossroads. Even if he doesn't break out next season he's still under team control and you bring him back on a cheap 1 year deal.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If I remember it right, the team can send players that are waiver-eligible down to the A before the season starts, but after the deadline passes (I think it's a couple weeks prior to the season starting?) they need to clear waivers to get recalled.

That is not correct. To get sent down, he first has to clear waivers. There are no recall waivers, so if he gets waived, clears and gets sent down, we can recall him at any time. That's unlikely though. He'll get his chance in training camp and if he doesn't make it, he'll be traded or waived. If he's waived, he most likely gets picked up by someone.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Disagree with Miler being at the crossroads. Even if he doesn't break out next season he's still under team control and you bring him back on a cheap 1 year deal.

Personally, if Miller doesn't progress beyond 58 games, 23 points and a semi-important spot in the lineup, I tend to see the Rangers moving him.

I think anything less than 15 goals and 35 points is going to be considered a disappointment. I'd dare say that they are probably expecting for closer to 40 points and a consistent presence across 200 feet.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Klein is NOT being traded. Why anyone would want to deal Klein is beyond me.

I am one of the seemingly few here who scratch my head a lot about the enthusiasm for getting rid of Klein. Though I agree that he may not be able to keep up, over the longer term, the level of play he showed after he landed, he is still the kind of defenceman every team would love to have. Broke his arm pretty bad, probably came back early.
Is his contract not attractive?
Is his play as poor as so many here say it is?

I do understand that the status of Klein is not decided in a vacuum. After all, this is the Dylan McIlrath thread, and what happens this season for DM matters greatly when it comes to succession.
Still not a great idea to ditch Klein, IMO.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Personally, if Miller doesn't progress beyond 58 games, 23 points and a semi-important spot in the lineup, I tend to see the Rangers moving him.

I think anything less than 15 goals and 35 points is going to be considered a disappointment. I'd dare say that they are probably expecting for closer to 40 points and a consistent presence across 200 feet.

I'd actually be surprised if he didn't have a good year. I thought he only got better as the year went on, and he strikes me as a hard worker, although he does seem to have an interesting personality.

I'm really pulling for Dylan. He seems like a really good guy whose biggest criticism is his draft slot.... Through no fault of his own...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad