Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with defenseman Dylan McIlrath.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I hope it's a 1-way contract. That will say a lot about their intentions for him this year.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Does this affect his waiver status at all involving us losing him if we have to send him back to hft?

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
one-year, one way deal according to stop coaching Pat. I guess it's make the Rangers or goodbye for McIlrath.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Interesting, I guess I am missing the point of a 2-way contract then. I thought that 2-way meant he could go up or down without waivers.

Could blame the NHL videogames for that. 1-way deals see that the player gets his full salary regardless whether he's in the NHL or AHL. A player on a 2-way deal in the minors would get a substantially smaller salary.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Interesting, I guess I am missing the point of a 2-way contract then. I thought that 2-way meant he could go up or down without waivers.

Waivers is based on age or experience.

A two-way contract pays one rate in the NHL and another rate in the minors. A one-way contract pays the same no matter if you're in the NHL or the minors.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I really hope he comes into camp and lights it up. Proving that he can handle minutes as a 6D would be huge for this team

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Could blame the NHL videogames for that. 1-way deals see that the player gets his full salary regardless whether he's in the NHL or AHL. A player on a 2-way deal in the minors would get a substantially smaller salary.

Waivers is based on age or experience.

A two-way contract pays one rate in the NHL and another rate in the minors. A one-way contract pays the same no matter if you're in the NHL or the minors.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYP_Brooksie: McIlrath, who would need to clear waivers, in for one year at $600,000.”

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I really hope he comes into camp and lights it up. Proving that he can handle minutes as a 6D would be huge for this team

How would a defensive defenseman light it up? The light goes on when you score. Highly doubt Mcilrath scores a lot. Let's see if he keeps the proper gap control, skates well and doesn't get out of position.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I laid out this exact scenario in the roster building thread yesterday.

A qualifying offer is a one year deal. Any player can be signed for less AAV on a multi-year deal. I believe McIlrath's QO was also a two-way offer, so he could conceivably sign for a 1-year, 1-way deal that pays him less at the NHL level, but guarantees that he gets that amount of money.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Good deal. Dylan is keeping it cheap. And cheap as possible gives him a better chance at fitting into the salary structure. Hoping he makes it this year.

Anyway another thing not mentioned about two way contracts--all ELC's (Entry Level Contracts) are two way. Connor McDavid has one--so does Jack Eichel, Nathan MacKinnon and Sean Monahan.....and Kevin Hayes. When their ELC's are up--their next contract will become a one way.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The one way contract is certainly nice for the player but could also be the Rangers attempt to dissuade a budget team from claiming him if they decide they don't have room.
i.e. Phoenix or Florida will have to pay him full $600k even if they determine he needs more seasoning.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Are the waivers revocable?

Can NYR put him on waivers and pull him back and either: a. Work out a trade with team that claimed him, or b. put him back on the active roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad