OFFICIAL North Stars Thread

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
Here's the thing, sports is supposed to be fun. There's nothing fun about this team right now. There really hasn't been since the year three playoff run. They had a chance to build off of that and establish an identity we could be proud of. The Ravens were able to accomplish this in Baltimore, the Sharks in San Jose. Our management failed. Haven't been bad. Just collectively, 'Meh', for about ten seasons running. I really hope this team rallies and goes on a magical playoff run, but it probably isn't happening. And if this team fails to make the playoffs, I can't think of a better time to hit the reset button.

Step away from the product. Step away from the identity of a team that's neither fast, physical, durable, mentally tough, protects its teammates, or skilled around the net. Step away from a history of injuries or anything DR ever did. The name is SO hard to get past.

I would venture that the name is almost certainly a product of late 90's public relations "group think" by people with zero ties to Minnesota or an understanding of the sport. We're the uprooted child that just wants to fit in at school, but our damned Hippie parents named us 'Sycamore'. Anyone remember the KMSP 9 poll where fans voted on the six finalist team names? It's the only such public poll that I can recall from that time. Certainly, the team didn't leave it up to the fans (outside of the original name submissions). I don't remember the exact results, but I believe 'Wild' came in dead last or at least bottom two. I believe 'Northern Lights' was the winner, and you can be certain that the North Stars would have smoked the Lights if it was on there. In no way, did this state choose the name. It was thrown at us.

The green jerseys are our best look, by far. Why? It's simple. Classy. Miraculously, a relatively unique color scheme in a 30-team league. But most of all, it allows us to forget that we're NHL team #29.5. It's the look of an original six expansion team that we deserve. However, the 'Minnesota' text logo is not a real logo. It does not belong on the crest of an NHL uniform. But that's what they had to use. For all of the ambiguity and vast marketing options that some agency decided the 'Wild' name would give, it apparently doesn't lend itself to a simple, concise, meaningful emblem. Hey Iowa, we know we have a stupid name that's even more stupid when applied to your state, so here's a bright shiny line of text with a swirl underneath it. Pretty awe-inspiring, huh?

Players come, players go. New coaches and management shuffle in and out. At the end of the day, professional sports fans are ultimately left with nothing more than a name and some laundry. Why can't we have good looking laundry? Why can't we reclaim a great name that defines this state to its core? We have always been the North Star State. Look at a map of the US. The only state sitting high, center, with any kind of a shape to it, extending past the 49th parallel. We are the North Star State. Wildlife? The Canadian Rockies and western U.S. makes our wildlife look like a petting zoo. That IS an identity that our hockey team has embraced.

I don't care about the history or record books. It would be nice, but it is what it is. The Wild brand? I actually do like the logo, as busy as it is. But I'm past the point of holding a candle for a team that was swept out of the conference finals more than a decade ago. The history of this franchise has been non-descript. In the grand scope of it, it means nothing more to the game than the history of the Atlanta Thrashers. 2000-2013 will still be on the record books, for whatever that's worth.

I couldn't give two craps about there being another 'Stars' name out there in the league. Don't like it, you should have been more creative branding your new hockey team. We won't touch the 92-93 logo or jerseys. We should try to take advantage of their financial situation and strike a deal to get the retired numbers in the rafters where they belong. That's something that should happen regardless of our name.

Sports is supposed to be fun. Yeo or some other defensive minded coach brings this team out for the 2014-2015 team that underachieved the year before, collective yawn in the Twin Cities. Replacing Heatley with a bright shiny free agent? Can only help. Did two prized free agents and a bluechip rookie make us leaps and bounds better in the standings last year?

If that same team comes out opening night, unannounced, wearing kelly green and the N-Star on their sweater, the whole state is buzzing. I want a team that we can be proud of regardless of what's happening on the ice on any given season.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I can't even imagine getting so emotionally worked up about the name of our team. It's not like we are called the "Minnesota D-bags" or the " St. Paul Sheepbangers"

North Stars, Fighting Saints, Wild, Vulcans, etc. It is OUR team, so either support them or not. But to base your entire passion because of the team name is one of the more idiotic things I've ever read.

I can't believe that this thread is still going. Just let it die people. We are not, nor will we EVER again be the North Stars. MOVE ONE, get over it!

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Why the hell do you care so much that some people find the name Wild too be a horrible name for a hockey team? We wen't from having the best name in sports to the worst one. Don't comment in this thread if you don't care about it.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If you're a hockey/NHL fan, I would assume that you'd care much more about the Minnesota name, than the Wild.

At the end of the day, it's a nickname. Frankly, it's bizarre that this topic still exists almost 15 years later...

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
The North Stars provided great memories and it wasn't because they were called the North Stars. How about this thread talks about the players and moments as I think it was intended?

My favorite North Star? Steve Payne. I wonder where his career would have ended up if it hadn't been for the back problems. Nino reminds me of him but Payne would have dropped the gloves in some situations Nino has slated away from but it was a different time then when it came to that.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Why the hell do you care so much that some people find the name Wild too be a horrible name for a hockey team? We wen't from having the best name in sports to the worst one. Don't comment in this thread if you don't care about it.

Whether the North Stars was the best name in sports and the Wild is the worst is a matter of opinion and VERY subjective. His point remains the same though. Minnesota will NEVER be the North Stars again, it's not going to happen. Even if it did, the retired numbers are NEVER coming back because it is an entirely different franchise. The North Stars have been gone for more than a generation. Let it go.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
You still don't get it. This thread is about the North Stars so the topic of discussion is going to be about the North Stars. Don't comment in it if you don't want to talk about it.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You still don't get it. This thread is about the North Stars so the topic of discussion is going to be about the North Stars. Don't comment in it if you don't want to talk about it.

Saying that the Wild is an embarrssing name isn't talking about the North Stars, it's whining. You want to bask in the glow of the "glory days" then fine. Just realize that the North Stars name is never coming back, nor are the banners, numbers, records or anything else associated with the Stars, because that all resides in Dallas and with that franchise.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Saying that the Wild is an embarrssing name isn't talking about the North Stars, it's whining. You want to bask in the glow of the "glory days" then fine. Just realize that the North Stars name is never coming back, nor are the banners, numbers, records or anything else associated with the Stars, because that all resides in Dallas and with that franchise.

I was just giving an opinion, which is kind of the whole point of these forums. I just don't get why talking about the North Stars is such a bad thing, especially in a thread called, OFFICIAL North Stars Thread.

If you want to let it go, fine, but that doesn't mean everyone has to.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I 100% agree that the Wild are never going to bring the name back. But I do think it's worth mentioning that the only reason for that is that the Wild choose not to do so. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from changing their name to North Stars, bringing back the 67 jerseys, hanging the retired numbers, etc., except that they think it's in their best interest not to do so. The NHL, not the Dallas team, owns the trademark, and is not preventing them from using it.

I've always thought the argument that "the records are in Dallas" is tenuous at best, because none of it actually happened there and there's almost no actual, tangible connection to Dallas except a few players and coaches who stayed on the roster. As far as I'm concerned all that history ended in 1993 and doesn't "belong" to anybody.

I've also always thought "Wild" was a really silly name, but hey, MS&E decided it was best to create an identity from scratch and somehow that's what they settled on. Nothing we can do about it now.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
We could take the name back, but the records absolutely belong to Dallas. Just like the old Jets records belong to Phoenix. The numbers just moved with the franchise.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Dallas doesnt display the old retired numbers do they? To me that tells me that they consider their history to have started when they moved there.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Dallas doesnt display the old retired numbers do they? To me that tells me that they consider their history to have started when they moved there.

They do.
#7 Broten (1 1/2 years in Dallas)
#8 Goldsworthy
#19 Masterton
are all up there besides Modano

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
We could take the name back, but the records absolutely belong to Dallas. Just like the old Jets records belong to Phoenix. The numbers just moved with the franchise.

I get where you're coming from, I just don't really think it makes a substantial difference. It's just moving some numbers in some columns. Recordkeeping is completely arbitrary. Like, if the Wild wanted to start acknowledging "Minnesota NHL Records" instead of "Franchise Records" and listing Neal Broten as their top scorer...who the **** is going to stop them?

It wouldn't be unprecedented, either. When the Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens, the new expansion team that came to Cleveland assumed the name and history of the Browns. (The Ravens were then considered an expansion team.) Seattle has a similar agreement in place if the NBA ever comes back, and the Sonics' banners are literally sitting in a warehouse in Seattle waiting for a new team.

In fact, by state law under the new stadium bills, the Twins and Vikings are subject to the same arrangement if they ever move:

18.16 Subd. 14. Name retention. The lease or use agreement must provide that the
18.17 team and league will transfer to the state of Minnesota the Minnesota Twins' heritage
18.18 and records, including the name, logo, colors, history, playing records, trophies, and
18.19 memorabilia in the event of any dissolution or relocation of the Twins franchise.
The lease or use agreement must provide that the NFL shall retain the Minnesota Vikings' heritage and records, including the name, logo, colors, history, playing records, trophies, and memorabilia in the event of relocation of the NFL team in violation of the lease or use agreement, and shall not permit use of these rights except for a team located in the state of Minnesota.

(Clearly the state learned their lesson with Norm! :laugh:)

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I get where you're coming from, I just don't really think it makes a substantial difference. It's just moving some numbers in some columns. Recordkeeping is completely arbitrary. Like, if the Wild wanted to start acknowledging "Minnesota NHL Records" instead of "Franchise Records" and listing Neal Broten as their top scorer...who the **** is going to stop them?

It wouldn't be unprecedented, either. When the Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens, the new expansion team that came to Cleveland assumed the name and history of the Browns. (The Ravens were then considered an expansion team.) Seattle has a similar agreement in place if the NBA ever comes back, and the Sonics' banners are literally sitting in a warehouse in Seattle waiting for a new team.

In fact, by state law under the new stadium bills, the Twins and Vikings are subject to the same arrangement if they ever move:

(Clearly the state learned their lesson with Norm! :laugh:)

Wish we could apply that retroactively and force former minnesota teams to leave the minnesota parts of their history here the next time they visit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad