*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2014 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
“Nelli Report: Part Oneâ€
I just returned from the mini camp—four scrimmages (beginning at 8 am and ending at 4:15 pm). Here’s my report on what I observed--focusing primarily (not exclusively) on the newcomers. I can do no more than pass on what I observed today.
DEFENCE:
Biggest surprise was the play of Brandon Crawley. This kid is a smooth skating, puck rushing d-man, who goes end to end with minimal effort. If he proves to be sound defensively, then I’d slot him into our top 4 ( behind Mermis, Bergman, Jamieson)
J. Bergman: He comes as advertised. Solid defensively, passes/moves the puck well, can jump into the rush. Poised; He’ll log lots of minutes.
C. Martenet: Tall, lanky, d-man. Played much better in the afternoon. Looked awkward at times in the morning scrimmage, but he can skate with the puck. On the depth chart, I have him below Crawley (no question about that).
B. Gleason: Played much better in the afternoon. This kid plays with a lot of confidence, not afraid to make mistakes. He likes to jump into the rush.
T. Nother: quite impressed with Nother today. Tall kid, right-handed shot. Hard shot from the point. Looked good in his own end. Played with poise. I know that mapleleaf1979 is not a big fan, but I think he’s one of our best prospects on defence. Can’t wait to see him in the exhibition games.
M. Kreis: This kid has good hockey instincts; breaks up plays as well as anyone. Doesn’t have the size, but I’m hoping the Hunters give him a long look.
J. DeFarias: Steady; didn’t see a lot of improvement over last season. He’ll challenge for a top 6 spot.
D. Melaragni: Great skating d-man. Liberati 2.0. I don’t think he has the greatest hockey sense; passing needs work. Definitely a project. I don’t think the Hunters keep him.
A. Jamieson: Played well—noticeable improvement over last season—much more confident. He should be in our top 4.
TOP 6 PROJECTION: 1. Bergman 2. Mermis 3. Jamieson 4. Crawley 5. Martenet 6. Gleason [7. DeFarias 8. Nother]
FORWARDS:
R. Valentini: Keep your eye on this kid. He’s my sleeper pick to make the team. A skilled player who skates well, has great hands, and good hockey I.Q.
Klima twins: Invisible in the morning; played well in the afternoon. I find it very difficult to gauge their play. Are they ready for the OHL? I need to see more of them. How they fare in the exhibition games could very well determine their fate. I’ll say that they’re in Hunter’s top 12 if Domi and Horvat stick in the NHL.
D. Miromanov: Invisible in the morning, hardly touched the puck. Displayed his skill in the afternoon on a line with M. Rupert and Dvorak. Great hands, good playmaker, right shot. Decent skater for a tall kid. Another player who I need to see more of in order to assess.
E. Henderson: Invisible today. When he did touch the puck, made the safe play.
J. Soper: scored a goal, but I can’t see the Hunters keeping this kid. Didn’t impress at all.
D. Rymsha: I can’t see him cracking the roster this season, but I like his potential. Smart player, strong along the boards, decent skill set.
P. Kudla: Likely has no chance of making the team, but he made the most of his opportunity today. Played with the Wellington Dukes last year.
PROJECTION: [excluding Domi and Horvat whose status is up in the air]:
[1. Marner 2. Dvorak 3. McCarron 4. M. Rupert 5. Yakimowicz 6. Welychka [?] 7. Seguin 8. MacDonald 9. Grzelewski 10. Valentini 11. Klima (a)? 12. Klima (b)? [13. Miromanov]
GOALIES:
I find it difficult to evaluate goalies in this type of setting (mini camp scrimmages that are not known for their commitment to defence first).
T. Parsons: athletic goalie, good reflexes. Extreme butterfly style which seems to work for him, but I wonder if a butterfly goalie who is by no means tall can thrive in the O.
E. Vella: Tall goalie who is solid positionally. More of a standup goalie than Parsons.
D. Graham: Not the best debut—just looked average.
T. Fassl: played well in the afternoon.
M. Giugovaz: looked ok.
PROJECTION:
[1. Giugovaz 2. Graham…waiting in the wings, 3. Parsons]
GAME NOTES:
I’ve been attending mini camps for about 8 years, and this one had the most fights (7)—surprising given that the O is cracking down on fighting.
1. Mitch Brooks vs Bryce Mayea. [Hunters look at each and laugh—seemed to be entertained by this Brooks kid (Stratford Cullitons) who loves fighting/mixing it up.
2. B. Baker vs S. Mitchell
3. S. McCormack vs
4. B. Crawley vs K. Ratcliffe
5. Jordan Anderson (Josh’s brother) vs ?
6. Mermis vs. ?
7. McCarron vs B. Baker

The weekend camp brought out even more fans than usual.

Was just there in the morning but share most of Nelli's comments.

I actually was more impressed with Gleason. Jumped into the offence a lot.

I don't think Valentini is a sleeper. He's on this team.

Yakimowich looks like he bulked up. He will be a force.

Guys like McDonald, Seguin and Elie didn't particularly stand out. Not good for them.

Domi dominated in the first scrimmage and Marner in the second.

Nother will be a standout when he gets some experience.

On the goalies I thought Parsons came as advertised and could very well be No. 1 by November. Vella needs some puck handling training but other than that he was almost unbeatable.

I thought Soper showed a lot of jump. Could see him on the 4th line.

I also liked Kreis but wonder if there is room.

Overall will be a fun year watching this team develop.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Biggest surprises for me today were the play of Mitch Brooks (fearless and plays the Hunter style of game, looked like a young Rupert out there) and Patrick Kudla (played great with Valentini in the morning skate, but they got split up in the afternoon session, which I thought hurt Valentini more than Kudla). Brandon Crawley definitely stood out on D and the Klima twins showed that they both have good sniper potential (quick releases and very accurate).

Based on what I saw today, my top 6 D would be Mermis, Bergman, Jamieson, Crawley, Gleason and Nother (I'd keep Martenet around as a 7th D and wait for him to fill out and learn the position a little more) and my top 12 forwards would be Marner, Dvorak, McCarron, Yakimowicz, Welychka, Rupert, Valentini, Miromanov, Kudla, Brooks, Klima and Klima (assuming the Vets don't return).

I'd say guys like Seguin, MacDonald, Elie and company had better step it up tomorrow, or they may find themselves re-located in the near future.

My biggest disappointment was Eric Henderson...from everything I'd read in the off-season, I was expecting a lot more and he was pretty much invisible all day. I also expected more from Rymsha and Buch, but they were barely noticeable as well.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I know knights fans on other forums were not pleased to hear the knights picked up Jimmy Soper off waivers. But make no mistake when ever he gets in the game you guys will like him. For your sake lets just hope hes a late bloomer and shows he can play in this league this year!

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
T. Nother: quite impressed with Nother today. Tall kid, right-handed shot. Hard shot from the point. Looked good in his own end. Played with poise. I know that mapleleaf1979 is not a big fan, but I think he’s one of our best prospects on defence. Can’t wait to see him in the exhibition games.

Its nice to read that Nother is doing well(I liked what I saw from him at U17 camp, more engaged), im definately never rooting against any of these young canadian hockey players to do well. ;)

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Enjoying the commentary.

I actually liked McCarron's play relative to last season. McCarron's skating, agility and balance all looked improved to me. Of course, I'll see if this translates to games come regular season.

I agree Seguin/MacDonald/Elie coasted. In MacDonald's case, he proved himself as a legitimate top-12 forward in the second half, so I'm not worried. I'm confident he'll regain that tenacity and aggressiveness once meaningful games start. Seguin is a little worrisome because Soper showcased himself better in comparison, but I'll chalk it up to small sample size. Seguin is better in just about every facet of the game; I really don't want to see Soper swipe Seguin's spot because I think Soper's ceiling is what we saw at camp. Elie doesn't have the pedigree of MacDonald or Seguin, and has 8 forwards on his tail for 5-6 spots. Elie's in 'Should Be In' territory, but could be moved if a younger forward makes him vulnerable. Elie's invisible when he's not pressing the forecheck, so he needs to reassume that habit.

Out of the newbie forwards, Rymsha, Miromanov and Valentini impressed me. Rymsha's the most fundamentally sound of the young forwards. His defensive game is already stellar for his age, his instincts+decision-making ooze of a cerebral player. He makes the simple, easy passes and does so quickly. I think Rymsha has the highest ceiling of all the 97-98 newbie forwards. He may not have been the most noticeable newbie, but his game is subtle and well-rounded, he will flourish more than any of the newbie forwards with experience, IMO.

I like Miromanov when he has the puck, but his game without the puck needs work. Miromanov works well with skilled players, but is the type of player whose attributes are maximized by others rather than driving the play himself. I really hope he can be the missing piece to the Yakimowicz-MacDonald line, albeit his offwing.

Valentini offers a lot of the same attributes as Rymsha -- strong defensively, work ethic, keeps the game simple, makes the easy/short passes and does so quickly. I envision Valentini as a quality 4th liner, but not morphing into a top-9 forward until I see more offensive upside.

Will need more time to evaluate Grzelewski/Klimas/Henderson.

I was actually more impressed with the defencemen. Bergman came as advertised. Jamieson/Crawley/Gleason execute breakout passes as good as last year's D. Crawley is an elusive skater who times his decisions well. He's also fundamentally sound in coverage. Gleason was much of the same, just a more conservative version.

DeFarias's quality stay-at-home play is needed, and will translate better to games. Nother impressed -- it seems his effectiveness is predicated on his assertiveness/passiveness pendulum, and he certainly adopted the assertive side. If Nother keeps that mental make-up indefinite, he holds the tools to be a 2D in 3 years. Kreis is a heady D completely capable of a 6D role now. He's excellent at anticipating and clogging passing lanes/removing options. Heady player, just lower ceiling.

I wasn't enthused at all with the two veteran goalies. I like Parsons and Vella. Vella needs work on his glove, but is very methodical.

Newbie forwards:
1 Rymsha
2 Miromanov
3 Valentini
4 Soper (though I want his spot to go to a young forward, sorry)
5 Grzelewski
6 Klima
7 Klima
8 Henderson (but he'll move up & have the 2nd best career of these 8... that was his floor)

I want Rymsha to play 4C for the Knights, but know that won't happen. Rymsha/Henderson will play JrB for prime playing time, Soper wont last, Valentini/Klimas are in, Grzelewski/Miromanov fight for last spot.

My revised ranking of D:
1 Mermis
2 Bergman
3 Jamieson
4 Gleason
5 Crawley
6 DeFarias
7 Nother
8 Kreis
9 Martenet

I think both Nother/Kreis play JrB. However, both can assume a 6D role now swimmingly, if necessary.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Out of the newbie forwards, Rymsha, Miromanov and Valentini impressed me. Rymsha's the most fundamentally sound of the young forwards. His defensive game is already stellar for his age, his instincts+decision-making ooze of a cerebral player. He makes the simple, easy passes and does so quickly. I think Rymsha has the highest ceiling of all the 97-98 newbie forwards. He may not have been the most noticeable newbie, but his game is subtle and well-rounded, he will flourish more than any of the newbie forwards with experience, IMO.

DeFarias's quality stay-at-home play is needed, and will translate better to games.
I want Rymsha to play 4C for the Knights, but know that won't happen. Rymsha/Henderson will play JrB for prime playing time, Soper wont last, Valentini/Klimas are in, Grzelewski/Miromanov fight for last spot.

Ive been waiting for someone other than myself to talk about Rymsha. I think his compete level is too reliable to send down, along with his rapidly growing game. Dont mean to beat a deadhorse here, but this kid has a fire inside.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
From someone who isn't watching any of the training camp, I appreciate the posts.

Still it's just training camp and I wouldn't get too high or low on free agents or returning players, respectively.

For example, I'd be pretty shocked if Jimmy Soper/Mitch Brooks oust Tait Seguin/Owen MacDonald of a forward spot.

Hopefully Hunter found something of value from the free agents he signed. Crawley sounded like an OHLer when first signed, Martenet didn't. Didn't know anything about Valentini or Klima x2.

I will guess that 1 of DeFarias/Jamieson/Kreis is dealt before November. All of them should be OHL players right now, but not all of them can fit into the top 6. London's always loved trading away D depth so they can keep up thier annual forward converted d-man experiement, so it should be a lock.:laugh:

This team could compete nightly and with a lot of luck COULD win their division but man, where are the goals going to come from? A team that is not overly big up front doesn't matter too much but besides M. Rupert, who on the Knights can shoot the puck and be legit goal scorer? Horvat and Domi are gone. You'd think a big man like McCarron could shoot the puck but I don't see him putting up more than 20 goals unless he's with Marner and/or Dvorak all season. Someone said the Klimas can snipe? I like hearing that but it's a stretch to expect them to be scoring golas consistently if they're 4th liners or healthy scratches.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Bergman- looks like a player. Skates well, good head. Top 2 for sure. Well see how he adjusts come Reg season, I expect some growing pains, not as much as a true took but he's gotta shot to be our #1
Rhyshma- I'm on the "like his game" bandwagon
McC- good positioning, will be better in Reg season games . I didn't mind him at all. If his heads on right he'll be a key to this club. Not in a Marner type way, but he did lots of good, lil, simple things out there.
Mirawhoever- agreed with JH. Hrs got a learn the game and how to play without the puck. A lil taller than I thought- not sure why, but I'd rather take a shot with him than some others in that 11-14F range

As I said before I don't put too much into the camp, but it's always good to get a look.

Brooks probly doesn't fit, but he did look good, talking with a few who saw the am skate .
Kids gotta remember there's lots of eyes there to impress, not just the Knights brass. One recruiter was talking him up.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Bergman- looks like a player. Skates well, good head. Top 2 for sure. Well see how he adjusts come Reg season, I expect some growing pains, not as much as a true took but he's gotta shot to be our #1
Rhyshma- I'm on the "like his game" bandwagon
McC- good positioning, will be better in Reg season games . I didn't mind him at all. If his heads on right he'll be a key to this club. Not in a Marner type way, but he did lots of good, lil, simple things out there.
Mirawhoever- agreed with JH. Hrs got a learn the game and how to play without the puck. A lil taller than I thought- not sure why, but I'd rather take a shot with him than some others in that 11-14F range

As I said vefoe I don't out too much into the camp, but it's always good to get a look.

Brooks probly doesn't fit, but he did look good, talking with a few who saw the am skate .
Kids gotta remember there's lots of eyes there to impress, not just the Knights brass. One recruiter was talking him up.

"Nelli Report: Addendum"...

Only attended morning scrimmages today and left the second one early.

Mr. Marner shouting at Junior to shoot!!! I think Mrs. Marner has gotten taller...she must be at least 5'10". :)

After what I've seen over the last two days, I predict that Nother not only makes the team, but will be in our top 6. Here's my revision to the D: 1. Mermis 2. Bergman 3. Jamieson 4. Crawley 5. Gleason 6. Nother [7. Defarias, 8. Martenet 9. Kreis]. I think we have at least nine d-men capable of cracking an OHL lineup, and you'd think a few will not take kindly to being re-assigned.

Soper centred the Klimas and that line generated offence on a number of shifts often capitalizing on their opportunities.

I can't see the Russian kid cracking the top 12 unless he plays well in the exhibition games.
Elie has been disappointing.
I'm on the 'Valentini' bandwagon, rve. And, what better name for a player who will be an integral part of the 'Renaissance' era!
I also like Rymsha--at the risk of making an early and somewhat premature comparison--he reminds me of a Seth Griffith who backchecks!
Crawley played well again--this time at both ends of the ice.
I have a feeling that the Hunters like Brooks much more than the fans which is not to say that he's disliked.
Who was the crazy guy in the crowd who stood up in a quiet arena, and shouted at two players who dropped the gloves (Seguin and some rookie)? Well, he was wearing a Leaf jersey! :)

I'll be at tomorrows skate...the filler will be gone by then and the Knights should be down to around 40 skaters and 4 goaltenders. Only players in the running and players the boys want one last look at will lace 'em up. To the others..thanks for filling out the rosters for the weekend.

I think Miromanov can play in the top 12 with the talent we've got in camp(and I haven't seen a scrimmage)..and I've only seen him on video.

Who was the crazy guy in the crowd who stood up in a quiet arena, and shouted at two players who dropped the gloves (Seguin and some rookie)? Well, he was wearing a Leaf jersey! :)
I thought you were a Hawks fan

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Thanks Nelli!

I didn't catch much of Brooks, just what I heard.

Valentini did look ok yesterday aft, I agree.

Some tough choices for those 11-14 F spots and the 4-7 D spots. Quality goes a little deeper than that so a couple on the outside def have OHL talent.

I think the Hunters got their top 6 D and 11 Fs ( if not 12) picked ;)

It's down to 3 guys for the 7D spot and probly 4-5 Fs for the 12/13 spot.

Not looking good yo get down tomorrow am but I'm a goin to try.

Thanks all for the posts

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I'll be at tomorrows skate...the filler will be gone by then and the Knights should be down to around 40 skaters and 4 goaltenders. Only players in the running and players the boys want one last look at will lace 'em up. To the others..thanks for filling out the rosters for the weekend.

I think Miromanov can play in the top 12 with the talent we've got in camp(and I haven't seen a scrimmage)..and I've only seen him on video.

I thought you were a Hawks fan

I should have said that 'other' crazy guy! :laugh:

Miromanov could very well be top 12, but he'll have to prove it in the exhibition games--others outperformed him this weekend--at least after two days of scrimmages.
See ya tomorrow, PP.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Supposedly Brody Milne was waived by Windsor. 17 goals last season and he's a freebie. Why not claim him if you're London? Really need a '95 forward with O/A potential and he could turn into a Platzer replacement for nothing. And if he doesn't, nothing is lost.

If you give Jimmy Soper a chance, you should give Brody Milne one too.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I agree, wholeheartedly. Milne should be in-line for 30-40 points with 3rd line ice this season. I wouldn't bet on any sub-MacDonald forward obtaining similar production. Milne is LH and the exact LW solution needed to spell the Yakimowicz-MacDonald line. Moreover, you obtain a 2-year OHL balance and fill our first O/A hole for next season, as mentioned.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Green/Gold Game, Sept. 1:

Parsons played very well this morning, saving 27 of 30 shots, several of which were quality shots, before being replaced by Wheaton. It would be a shame if Parsons started the season anywhere but London. He's ready to assume a backup role.

Another impressive showing from Tyler Nother--he's OHL ready--without a doubt.

Valentini and Rymsha did not play as well as they did on Saturday and Sunday.

Klimas continue to play well--should get a serious look.

Not impressed with Tristan Elie at all.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Milne

I agree, wholeheartedly. Milne should be in-line for 30-40 points with 3rd line ice this season. I wouldn't bet on any sub-MacDonald forward obtaining similar production. Milne is LH and the exact LW solution needed to spell the Yakimowicz-MacDonald line. Moreover, you obtain a 2-year OHL balance and fill our first O/A hole for next season, as mentioned.

Even the Spits website says released, Milne and the others have to go on waivers first, then become free agents, my guess is perhaps another team will scoop him up before the Knights do

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Green/Gold Game, Sept. 1:

Parsons played very well this morning, saving 27 of 30 shots, several of which were quality shots, before being replaced by Wheaton. It would be a shame if Parsons started the season anywhere but London. He's ready to assume a backup role.

Another impressive showing from Tyler Nother--he's OHL ready--without a doubt.

Valentini and Rymsha did not play as well as they did on Saturday and Sunday.

Klimas continue to play well--should get a serious look.

Not impressed with Tristan Elie at all.

Well considering Dominic Graham has quit hockey I'd say he's in line for the backup, perhaps even the starter role now.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
@jfplante_Droit: Tout un revirement de situation à London. Le gardien gatinois Domenic Graham abandonne le hockey et les #knights #20ans #ledroit

@jfplante_Droit: Domenic Graham, la tête disait oui au hockey, le coeur n'y était pas. Perdu toute motivation. Retraite du hockey. #ledroit

@jfplante_Droit: #knights ont des problèmes avec leurs gardiens de 20 ans. Graham prend sa retraite quelques jours après retraite de Jake Patterson. #ledroit

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
@jfplante_Droit: Tout un revirement de situation à London. Le gardien gatinois Domenic Graham abandonne le hockey et les #knights #20ans #ledroit

@jfplante_Droit: Domenic Graham, la tête disait oui au hockey, le coeur n'y était pas. Perdu toute motivation. Retraite du hockey. #ledroit

@jfplante_Droit: #knights ont des problèmes avec leurs gardiens de 20 ans. Graham prend sa retraite quelques jours après retraite de Jake Patterson. #ledroit

Merci JH.
Voici une traduction pour les autres.

"The Gatineau goalie abandons hockey and the Knights".

"Graham's head says 'yes' to hockey, his heart is not into it. Has lost all motivation. Retires from hockey".

"Knights have some problems with their 20 yr old goalies. Graham retires a few days after Patterson retires".

Works for me! Giugovaz and Parsons! (and frees up an OA spot)

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
After what I witnessed Saturday and Monday (missed Sunday's action), my 25 man roster would look something like this:

Dvorak, Marner, McCarron
Rupert, Klima, Klima
Brooks, Yakimowicz, Welychka,
Seguin, Rymsha, OMac
Kudla, Valentini, Miromanov

Mermis, Bergman
Jamieson, Nother
Mattinen, Crawley
Martenet, Gleason

Parsons, Giugovaz

Mattinen really impressed me today with his size and simple defensive game, Gleason, on the other hand, was very disappointing with all his mental mistakes and turnovers. The potential is there, but he needs to learn to pick his spots a lot better when joining the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad