Salary Cap: Official LA Kings 2017-18 Organization Chart

Ron*

Keh69m.png

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
It's a interesting team on paper. Lots of puck moving D-men (more then anyone else I think). Really good top-6 and some questions about defensive centers on the bottom.

It's a under appreciated part of the cap world. Rookies getting playing time just because of the lower cap it. We're seeing all around the NHL.

Ron*

First chart shows Voynov's salary suspended. Second chart does not.

Unless DL rounded up Ehrhoff's salary for ease of media use, we are over the CAP by a few thousand.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
First chart shows Voynov's salary suspended. Second chart does not.

Unless DL rounded up Ehrhoff's salary for ease of media use, we are over the CAP by a few thousand.

If including Voynov, that would be a 24 man roster. If Voynov remains suspended, I would assume that his cap hit would still be off the books until he returned. The Kings would likely send a player down to Ontario to free the roster spot and cap space. It would likely be someone like a McBain, Weal, Andreoff, or even Forbort. All of which would also have to clear waivers.

Ron*

generalfanager and capfriendly are indicating Lucic is at $3.25M.

Thanks for the update, but my number was correct at the time of the signing, so I will stick with that for now, until I hear otherwise.

I have found that the replacement CAP sites have issues, unfortunately. They are just not as accurate as the original (I forgot the name already).

Ron*

If including Voynov, that would be a 24 man roster. If Voynov remains suspended, I would assume that his cap hit would still be off the books until he returned. The Kings would likely send a player down to Ontario to free the roster spot and cap space. It would likely be someone like a McBain, Weal, Andreoff, or even Forbort. All of which would also have to clear waivers.

Yes, someone is going to have to go. I included the 24-man roster for reference only.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I'll have to check CBA to confirm but I am pretty sure Forbort does not require waivers next year.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'll have to check CBA to confirm but I am pretty sure Forbort does not require waivers next year.

I believe you're correct - 23 yrs old w/ < 3 Seasons and < 60 NHL games = Waiver Exempt

And that little bit we are over if Voynov is included will not matter as the salary cap is calculated daily. Voynov's cap hit is essentially $23,148.14/day (cap hit/180 days of NHL season). So him being suspended for even the first day of the season puts us under, and we all know he'll be gone longer than that.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I believe you're correct - 23 yrs old w/ < 3 Seasons and < 60 NHL games = Waiver Exempt

And that little bit we are over if Voynov is included will not matter as the salary cap is calculated daily. Voynov's cap hit is essentially $23,148.14/day (cap hit/180 days of NHL season). So him being suspended for even the first day of the season puts us under, and we all know he'll be gone longer than that.

Will his cap hit get pro-rated like that? thought that usually only happened in trades.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Once his injury is healed and he is clear to play even if suspended by the league his salary would count against the cap.
http://capgeek.org/nhl-salary-cap-faq-how-do-suspensions-affect-the-cap/

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
Will his cap hit get pro-rated like that? thought that usually only happened in trades.

The salary is calculated like that for everything. Voynov's cap hit will count as soon as his suspension is lifted by the Kings (assuming the 180 day season has started).

If Voynov is still suspended without pay (by the Kings) when the 180-day season starts, the Kings are saving $23,148.14 per day until he is re-instated.

It's the same concept of carrying 21 men on a roster instead of 23 to bank cap space. If you eliminate two guys each making $750k, you are saving ~$8,333.33 cap hit per day that they are not on your roster. You can bank that for a trade deadline acquisition.

Once his injury is healed and he is clear to play even if suspended by the league his salary would count against the cap.

Exactly - He is suspended by Kings without pay until he is fit for playing hockey. As soon as he is fit, the suspension ends and the cap-hit starts, regardless of any further suspension from the league.

Ron*

The salary is calculated like that for everything. Voynov's cap hit will count as soon as his suspension is lifted by the Kings (assuming the 180 day season has started).

If Voynov is still suspended without pay (by the Kings) when the 180-day season starts, the Kings are saving $23,148.14 per day until he is re-instated.

It's the same concept of carrying 21 men on a roster instead of 23 to bank cap space. If you eliminate two guys each making $750k, you are saving ~$8,333.33 cap hit per day that they are not on your roster. You can bank that for a trade deadline acquisition.

Exactly - He is suspended by Kings without pay until he is fit for playing hockey. As soon as he is fit, the suspension ends and the cap-hit starts, regardless of any further suspension from the league.

Interesting and good points. That would be an absolute female-dog-in-heat to implement as a formula in Excel, however. I won't even bother with it. The spreadsheet above will have to stay general in nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad