Confirmed with Link: Official Expansion Rules

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Still needs more clarification IMO. Do expiring NMC contracts have to be protected or are the contracts taken as at the start of the next season? Im sure there are a few other points that need to be worked through as well.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
From the sounds of it, it seems if a player in on a NMC at the time of the draft, whether its expiring or not, have to be protected.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
From the sounds of it, it seems if a player in on a NMC at the time of the draft, whether its expiring or not, have to be protected.

Wyshynski seems to suggest otherwise on twitter (im not smart enough to embed it), but with the confusion in everything the league does (see the whole Daly/Brooks Rangers 1st rounder debacle) i feel we need to wait until absolutely everything is on the table before we can work out what's actually going on

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It doesn't really make sense though. The expansion draft will happen before the amateur draft because it has to, but the players won't actually switch teams officially until July 1st, when the NMC is expired.

The thing I don't get is, why specify 7 forwards and 3 dmen, or 8 skaters? So basically, it's 7 forwards and 3 dmen, or 8 forwards. Why would any team protect 8 forwards instead of 7 forwards and 3 dmen?

BrianLeetch2

The Butcher
Oct 4, 2005
Toms River NJ
It doesn't really make sense though. The expansion draft will happen before the amateur draft because it has to, but the players won't actually switch teams officially until July 1st, when the NMC is expired.

The thing I don't get is, why specify 7 forwards and 3 dmen, or 8 skaters? So basically, it's 7 forwards and 3 dmen, or 8 forwards. Why would any team protect 8 forwards instead of 7 forwards and 3 dmen?

Unless a team really likes 4 of their dmen. Not saying thats the case and prob wont happen but there is that option

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Its either 10 players (divided into 7+3), or its 8 of whoever. Meaning that you can pick and choose exactly as you want, but then you get to protect less.

What the 7+3 system does is essentially force a team to expose half of its forwards and half of its defenders.

Now if you for example had 4 defenders you *really* wanted to keep, you can do that. But then you can only protect another 4 players in total.

As i understand it at least :)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Are some players of a certain age protected no matter what? Or is it everyone with NHL experience.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

The 8 skaters might come in handy for a team that have 2 good goalies. Not saying that Pitsburgh would do this, but they'll have either Fleury or Murray to protect. Things will get interesting over there.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The 8 skaters might come in handy for a team that have 2 good goalies. Not saying that Pitsburgh would do this, but they'll have either Fleury or Murray to protect. Things will get interesting over there.

Will Murray even have to be protected though? He will only have two NHL seasons under his belt after next season right?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Man the Hawks are in an interesting spot. 7 NMC they have to protect, plus you assume they want to protect Panarin. That means that they'll have to expose a guy like Anisimov who i think they'd prefer not to lose

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Man the Hawks are in an interesting spot. 7 NMC they have to protect, plus you assume they want to protect Panarin. That means that they'll have to expose a guy like Anisimov who i think they'd prefer not to lose

That would be really interesting. Anisimov would be one of THE guys on an expansion team.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That would be really interesting. Anisimov would be one of THE guys on an expansion team.

No rule against trades so this will mean teams w extra good players will move them to teams for picks

So on the Rangers they can leave girardi , staal unprotected ?

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
No rule against trades so this will mean teams w extra good players will move them to teams for picks

So on the Rangers they can leave girardi , staal unprotected ?

Staal will have to be protected, Girardi will depend on how they rule on expiring NMCs

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Poor Hawks, would hate to see them loose any of their stockpiled talent. Not having to protect Girardi would be big, I doubt he gets taken in the draft. However his Salary decreases towards the end of his deal so depending on how the team/teams shape up he could he valuable both as a Veteran presence and help to reach the floor. Still doubt he goes anywhere though.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Staal will have to be protected, Girardi will depend on how they rule on expiring NMCs

Crap I thought this year that's the case w staal but after that he can be dealt to team on his list so he'd be unprotected

The roster will change but protecting 3 D is tough . McD, skjei .... Klein will be ufa in a year no? If they sign yandle he's protected but big IF

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Crap I thought this year that's the case w staal but after that he can be dealt to team on his list so he'd be unprotected

The roster will change but protecting 3 D is tough . McD, skjei .... Klein will be ufa in a year no? If they sign yandle he's protected but big IF

Skjei will automatically be protected I believe.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Skjei is not eligible to be claimed. Anyone trying to figure the at Rangers list is wasting their time when management is open to anything and anyone being moved. The Rangers should target some teams with protection issues to see if they can get a deal.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Skjei is not eligible to be claimed. Anyone trying to figure the at Rangers list is wasting their time when management is open to anything and anyone being moved. The Rangers should target some teams with protection issues to see if they can get a deal.

Yes so much can change . I thought if a guy signs a 3 year entry level and is going into year 3 they are eligible ? So that's not right they need to play 2 nhl seasons so non rookie

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For the non-eligible is it two years NHL experience or two years pro experience? I'm thinking it's two years pro experience. It opens up a pathway for guys like Hrivik to make it to the NHL--that's something the NHL has tried to do before with these things.

The other question I have regards the NMC thing and someone mentioning the Hawks having seven of them. What if the Hawks handed out more of them and went over all the protected limits? If they wanted to protect all of Anisimov, Panarin, Shaw, Teravainen and Van Riemsdyk why not give them all NMC's too? I don't expect anyone has an answer to that. Not even sure the NHL does.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People should keep in mind that just because a player---say Girardi is left unprotected---it doesn't mean that he's going to be picked. I suspect that no more than two players will be lost per team in an expansion draft. That would set each of the two new teams up with 30 players each and they'd round out their rosters more or less with free agent signings.

And in past expansions when a player was chosen from a team that team got to protect another player.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I can't see how Girardi would be eligible. If they're considering guys like Skjei ineligible because they're second year pros, then they should be considering Girardi as in the 3rd year of his contract which means his NMC stands. I hope that isn't the case but ruling that his NMC is ineligible because it's expiring is inconsistent with what they've laid out so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad