*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Otters draft goalie Jake Lawr with pick #28. Two picks in the third round coming up.

Don't really get this pick. Have to think we are set in net next season with Dekoning and Williams.

Would have liked to see us take a run at Nick Pastujov. Top ten talent, US kid.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
I like the pick of Bily. I think Bassin and Brown have made great selections so far.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I like the pick of Bily. I think Bassin and Brown have made great selections so far.

don't know anything about him. I know he's committed to Northeastern University, hopefully Bassin can get him to sign.

EDIT: From this tweet, seems like he's probably going to sign here.

Shaun Bily ‏@ShaunBily24 48s
So pleased and thankful to be drafted to the Erie otters, I can't believe my dream is coming true this is an amazing feeling #OHLDraft2014

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
I think there is a good chance he will play here. I doubt they draft him in the third if they felt it was to much of a long shot.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think there is a good chance he will play here. I doubt they draft him in the third if they felt it was to much of a long shot.

yeah judging from his reaction I'd say he's coming here.

Also, is Erie the city of brothers now? Grab LW Kyle Maksimovich with the 59th pick.

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
The Jake Lawr selection is an excellent decision by Bass and the Otters brass for a number of reasons.

Lawr is 6'1 150 and will be adding strength. He's played two years of big time minor midget. First with the Brampton 45's and then this past season with the Halton Hurricanes. He was arguably the best goalie in this years draft that was extremely deep at the tender position. He plays like Pekka Rinne with great lateral movement and a cool, composed head. Has one helluva glove hand.

Next year with Dansk likely departing, Williams will be starting. If Williams has a good year, he could conceivably be gone after next year too. That would leave Dekoning to start a maximum of 2 years if he stayed as an OA. Getting Lawr gets us a goalie for the future. Lawr has the ability to come in next year and backup Williams. The following year he could take over the reins and be the Otters tender for the next 3 years. That gives them more security than Dekoning. Love the pickup.

Local Fan

Apr 5, 2014
Looks like "Director of Local Favors" has made good on another hometown favor....5'9", 131 pounds with 24 pts and 10 pms...at least its not a top pick that gets the whole package this time! New winger on the McDavid line???

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
1st round: RW Taylor Raddysh 6' 0" 190 lbs.

2nd round: G Jake Lawr 6'2" 150 lbs.

3rd round: C Shaun Bily 5' 11" 170 lbs.

3rd round: LW Kyle Maksimovich 5' 6" 150 lbs.

5th round: LD Mitchell Byrne 5' 11" 175 lbs.

6th round: LD Taylor Egan 5' 11" 172 lbs.

7th round: LW Riley MacRae 6' 0" 155 lbs.

7th round: RD Zack Hoffman 6' 0" 164 lbs.

8th round: RW Jack Gill 6' 0" 185 lbs.

9th round: LD Cole Evans 6' 3" 190 lbs.

10th round: RD Jordan Sambrook 6' 1" 162 lbs.

11th round: LW Christian Girhiny 5' 10" 131 lbs.

12th round: LW Holdyn Lansik 5' 11" 172 lbs.

13th round: LD Bailey Newton 5' 10" 152 lbs.

14th round: G Colton Point 6' 3" 231 lbs.

15th round: LD Noah Tooke 5' 10" 185 lbs.

-First pick couldn't have gone any better. Honestly shocked Raddysh fell to Erie at #19. I don't know if he pulled the NCAA card to play with his brother, or if Erie just got really lucky, but whatever it was, great pick. I think he can step right into the top six next season and be a key component to retooling around McDavid and Strome.

-I was surprised about taking a goalie with the second pick, but seems like it was a solid pick. With the import goalie ban it's always helpful to have depth at the goalie position. Interested to see if he challenges Dekoning for the backup job or spends a year down, maybe in the OJHL.

-Bily was a surprise pick, committed to a D1 University. I'll make a judgement when I see him at rookie camp (assuming he's there).

-I think Maksimovich was a great pick. Speed, hustle, and solid offensive tools. Just small. If he can grow a few inches over the summer he could definitely step into the lineup next season.

-The two LD picks in the middle, 5th and 6th round, intrigue me. Saw good things about both of them. Could crack the lineup in 2015-2016.

-Late round picks are always a crapshoot. Hopefully someone pans out.

Still some holes to fill:

For the purpose of this projection I'll hope either one of two happens: Burakovsky comes back, or Larkin signs with Erie.

Larkin/Burakovsky-McDavid-Import
?????-Strome-Raddysh
Evans-Pettit-Betz
Maksimovich-Maksimovich-Murphy

Extras: Wood, Wigle possibly (OA?), Trent Fox, Shaun Bily, possibly a 2013 pick? (liked what I saw from Pucci)

Dermott-Donnay
Genovese-Raddysh
Felker-?????

extras: MacDermid as an OA?, Saban, Mayo, Fergus?, Headrick?, Robertson?

Williams
Dekoning/Lawr

Honestly not a bad lineup at all if Burakovsky/Larkin happens (though it's honestly doubtful, would be an absolute miracle if both happened). Need to hit on the import pick. Expecting Bassin to be aggressive in the trade market. Perhaps take a look at Campagna from Sudbury or Payne from Saginaw as OA trade candidates, would make fine additions to the top six. Would also like to grab a veteran dman to play in the top four. Defense scares me a bit as is. Guys are going to have to work hard over the summer and take some steps forward. Lots of youth as trade bait and a good amount of picks as well.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
-First pick couldn't have gone any better. Honestly shocked Raddysh fell to Erie at #19. I don't know if he pulled the NCAA card to play with his brother, or if Erie just got really lucky, but whatever it was, great pick. I think he can step right into the top six next season and be a key component to retooling around McDavid and Strome.

-I was surprised about taking a goalie with the second pick, but seems like it was a solid pick. With the import goalie ban it's always helpful to have depth at the goalie position. Interested to see if he challenges Dekoning for the backup job or spends a year down, maybe in the OJHL.

-Bily was a surprise pick, committed to a D1 University. I'll make a judgement when I see him at rookie camp (assuming he's there).

-I think Maksimovich was a great pick. Speed, hustle, and solid offensive tools. Just small. If he can grow a few inches over the summer he could definitely step into the lineup next season.

-The two LD picks in the middle, 5th and 6th round, intrigue me. Saw good things about both of them. Could crack the lineup in 2015-2016.

That 5th is a really good pick, Mitchell Bryne could push Saban and Mayo for a job at camp but should be on this team for sure after 1 year of seasoning if thats the decision they make at camp. He is an all rounder, plays with heart and stepped up huge when Chychrun and Mete went down before the OHL cup started.

Lawr is massive I think he is closer to 6-4 and has some nice potential, he played 2 years of minor midget.

Raddysh at times was the most consistent reliable Marlboro as others around lack compete and intensity. Great pick and u could argue could have gone higher. A great finisher who can skate with talented top 6 lines. Finishes his checks and likes the blue area of the ice.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That 5th is a really good pick, Mitchell Bryne could push Saban and Mayo for a job at camp but should be on this team for sure after 1 year of seasoning if thats the decision they make at camp. He is an all rounder, plays with heart and stepped up huge when Chychrun and Mete went down before the OHL cup started.

Lawr is massive I think he is closer to 6-4 and has some nice potential, he played 2 years of minor midget.

Raddysh at times was the most consistent reliable Marlboro as others around lack compete and intensity. Great pick and u could argue could have gone higher. A great finisher who can skate with talented top 6 lines. Finishes his checks and likes the blue area of the ice.

Thanks for the insight mapleleafs. Sounds like Bryne is very promising. I don't think he'll crack the lineup next season but certainly sounds like he has a very good chance to be there in 2015-2016.

Also, check out this interview with Sherry Bassin:

http://telly.com/1INCX1S

The part I found most intriguing was when he talked about 3rd round pick Shaun Bily.

Obviously he isn't going to say anything negative about his prospect but it sounds like it could be a great pick. Potential first round talent and turning down a D1 offer to sign with Erie. Really looking forward to rookie camp.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Really liked what the otters did in the draft today.

Raddysh- obviously an all around good pick up. Could have been a top 10 pick and his brother already plays for erie. Sounds like he could step into top 6 right away and already has a good body frame

Maksimovich- another brother but with all the talk about his speed and passing as well as work ethic he could turn into a connor brown type player. Maybe he makes the roster next year but if he doesn't it might just be because of size and strength. But looking forward to his potential.

Lawr- loved this picked a lot. Mainly because he is a 2nd round goalie who is 6'2 with quick athletic ability. Smaller on the weight size but he isn't probably gonna be expected to be in an erie uniform for a year or 2 so he has time to get bulkier. With Williams having only 1 or 2 years left we needed to go get a higher prospect goalie

Looking at the later rounds:

Erie tends to do good with around the 8-13 round picks.
2012- Daniel Dekoning- (8th round)
Travis Dermott- (9th round)
Quentin Maksimovich- (11th round)

2011- Travis wood (11th)

2010- Liam masakant (8th)
Connor brown (13th)

2009- johnny McGuire (12th)

2007- mike cazzola (13th)

2006- shawn szydlowski (10th)
Shawn Owen (13th)

2005- Luke gazdic (9th)

2004- justin hodgman (13th)

So keep an eye out for some later picks as more than likely 1 or 2 will make the roster and maybe one of them will become a breakout player like cazzola or hodgman.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Now moving on to game 3 and 4 at the EIA. About 2600 tickets left for Mondays game.. Kinda surprised me as they had around 3000 to start the week and I was expected about 5500 at the game. Now I'm only expecting around 4500 or so. Either way looking forward to the game. In sure erie wants to wrap it up at home to avoid any more 10+ hour road trips to SSM and a nice break before the conference finals. Also losing game 3 just makes this a whole new series. Gotta go out strong and close it out

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am thinking that with the "new era" Otters (arena, success on the ice) that it may affect our team in a positive way down the line. The NCAA committed players will take a second look at Erie, as they always do for London, Kitchener, and Windsor. It seems like the draft picks were good ones, addressing some needs for the future. Hockeye, I am hoping that we have a few more walk ups on Monday. There are usually around 400 or so. A crowd of 5,000 would be nice!

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I am thinking that with the "new era" Otters (arena, success on the ice) that it may affect our team in a positive way down the line. The NCAA committed players will take a second look at Erie, as they always do for London, Kitchener, and Windsor. It seems like the draft picks were good ones, addressing some needs for the future. Hockeye, I am hoping that we have a few more walk ups on Monday. There are usually around 400 or so. A crowd of 5,000 would be nice!

I really do believe that kids are starting to be more willing to come here. Are they saying "I really hope I get drafted by the otters" ? Probably not many who say that but when they are drafted by the otters they aren't saying "oh crap" like they might have before. and it all started with Mcdavid. Which allowed us to go get Dansk probably and more than likely Burakovsky. It's a chain reaction when you get a guy like mcdavid as everyone wants to play with him. Now the new arena, the success of this team, the fan support we have in erie, it's all having an influence. This is Erie's chance to start being a more consistent organization and getting the guys that only the Windsor, London, Kitchener teams consistently get. Like Shaun bily. Drafted 3rd round (could have been first round pick) already committed D1. Maybe he had something worked out with erie to come here. You never know. Now just have to continue the success on the ice and we will get these guys to report

As for the fans on Monday, I really hope they crack 5000. The worst part is it is a weekday game. And a Monday at that. I'm sure if the otters made it to game 6 on Saturday (lets hope not) there would be 5000+
I believe by round 3, if they make it, it won't matter when the games are, they will have a lot better attendance

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Like Shaun bily. Drafted 3rd round (could have been first round pick) already committed D1. Maybe he had something worked out with erie to come here. You never know. Now just have to continue the success on the ice and we will get these guys to report

If you watch Bassin's interview it seems Erie did have something worked out with Bily. Some scouts saw him at a US tournament and talked to him, apparently he wanted to come to Erie. And Bassin spoke with him friday night and Shaun said he'd give up the full ride to Northeastern to sign here.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
If you watch Bassin's interview it seems Erie did have something worked out with Bily. Some scouts saw him at a US tournament and talked to him, apparently he wanted to come to Erie. And Bassin spoke with him friday night and Shaun said he'd give up the full ride to Northeastern to sign here.
That just surprises me because it doesn't happen to erie. Maybe he wanted to play with mcdavid. Or be closer to home. Either way I'm happy. And if he had the talent to be a first round pick than maybe hopefully he makes the team next season

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
I really do believe that kids are starting to be more willing to come here. Are they saying "I really hope I get drafted by the otters" ? Probably not many who say that but when they are drafted by the otters they aren't saying "oh crap" like they might have before. and it all started with Mcdavid. Which allowed us to go get Dansk probably and more than likely Burakovsky. It's a chain reaction when you get a guy like mcdavid as everyone wants to play with him. Now the new arena, the success of this team, the fan support we have in erie, it's all having an influence.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of a quality coaching staff either.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
new arena + winning season + players coach + Conner Mc David = an inviting place to play thinking more than a few kids wished they had been drafted here.

like the blood lines that were taken in the draft

Strome (are they the next staal 's )

Fox if younger can learn from older's early mistakes

Maxsimivich (sp) really like " Q's " game hope " K " grows and is as good

as for Monday as long as the 5000 are LOUD i am willing to take that over a quiet sellout crowd

the boys know how important game 3 is, as far as travel and mental status. I am thinking , Brown (c) , fox, curtis , macdermitt will let the boys know just how important it is to be ready, and have them there.

win Monday sell out crowd Tues

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Congrats.. You guys have one hell of a team this year. I know there is still game 4 but I can't see how you won't win that. Otters can go the distance this year...

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
1 goal in 3 games sends a pretty strong message and if the Otters can seal the deal they can sit back and watch the Knights/Storm go at each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad