Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chychrun has struggled at times in the post season. I’m hesitant to move OEL unless he starts to consistently play at a much higher level than we are seeing right now; especially with Goligoski and Hjarlmarsson a year away from UFA status.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chychrun has struggled at times in the post season. I’m hesitant to move OEL unless he starts to consistently play at a much higher level than we are seeing right now.
OEL and Chychrun both seemed to flip a switch today. Excited to see how the play Friday. And hopefully next series!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Throwing more shit at the wall - Schmaltz for Johansen? Just thinking it gets Nashville out of that contract and gets us a more natural center. It's a bit of a cap bump for us but nothing unmanageable.

Reactions: Grimes and hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
Throwing more shit at the wall - Schmaltz for Johansen? Just thinking it gets Nashville out of that contract and gets us a more natural center. It's a bit of a cap bump for us but nothing unmanageable.
i just want Hall. I wouldn't add cap at this point. I'd be shedding whatever I can to keep him.

Reactions: Jakey53

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Could we realistically dump Kessel, Stepan and Raanta this offseason and keep him? Or we do we need to shed more?
I think if we can shed $6m and have a full roster once it's done, we can sign Hall. That's $9m for Hall at whatever term but gives us zero cap flexibility. Stepan alone gets us close. If we can drop Goligoski while we're at it then we can sign a 3c and 7d and have enough space left if we need it. Kessel makes the most sense to move because of term but no one is going to give us anything useful for him at 2y/$6.8m.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Coyotes roster makeover Version #1,045

Trying to improve the roster with the fewest number of moves possible to keep it realistic.

1. Stepan and Hossa to Ottawa for an AHLer. Gives the Sens a cheap vet center and a cap floor buffer for when they sell at the deadline. If you take back an AHLer making NHL money, it'd only be about a 1 mil bump cash wise, so excellent value. Pure cap dump for us.

2. Re-sign Hall for 8.5 mil x 8 years. That makes him our highest paid player. Don't love the term but that's what it may take. Edit: Give Stepan's "A" to Hall.

3. Raanta to Carolina for Reimer. Gives the Canes an elite goaltender when healthy for less than a 1 mil cap increase and a negligible acquisition cost. Not sure how Carolina upgrades at G otherwise when they already have two goalies under contract and others will be more expensive to acquire via trade. Raanta shares the net with Mrazek. We downgrade but get assurance of a healthy backup and about 1 mil cap savings.

4. Schmaltz to Nashville for Johansen. Admittedly I don't love this deal but the only way we will add a legitimate C is to add a flawed one. Johansen is a more natural C than Schmaltz and helps us change our core. For Nashville, they get out of Johansen's 8 mil deal (5 years left), save 2+ mil in cap space, and get a little younger (28 vs. 24).

5. Demers to Vancouver for Roussel. My thinking here is Vancouver previously tried to add Demers (from Florida) but he wouldn't waive his NTC. That NTC is expired now and he could fill a role at RD in Vancouver if they lose Tanev in UFA. Demers and Tanev have relatively equal cap hits. Roussel has one more year of term and moving that out is beneficial to free up future cap for young players like Hughes. For us, Roussel brings that much needed "edge".

6. Buyout Grabner. Release (don't qualify) Hinostroza. The below leaves just under 2 mil in cap space.

Hall - Johansen - Kessel
Keller - Dvorak - Garland
Crouse - Hayton - Fischer
Roussel - Richardson - Bunting
Burke

Fourth line has potential to be irritating. I was actually surprised Bunting wasn't brought into the bubble. I gave Fischer his QO and Richie 1 mil.

OEL - Hammer
Chychrun - Goligoski
Oesterle - Soderstrom
Capobianco

Kuemper
Reimer

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes and Surfshop

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Trying to improve the roster with the fewest number of moves possible to keep it realistic.

Did you factor in the Kuemper and Keller raises? That doesn't look like nearly enough salary shed to fit Hall.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
1) I don't think it's enough to entice Ottawa, but it helps that it costs them next to no actual money. I think we end up taking some salary and cap back.
2) I don't think he's interested, and I am afraid of the term. I'd much rather hand him more money shorter-term. I think we wave him goodbye.
3) Not that interested. Move Raanta for an overpaid position player, not another overpaid goalie. I don't think Raanta has negative value-- and it certainly is higher than Riemer at his hit. It doesn't save us nearly enough to tempt me. . Bright side is they are both expiring. I'd target Dzingel or Gardiner both of whom they may find expendable. Take Riemer at 50% and we add ~$800k cap and fill a hole. Gardiner and Riemer at 40% would add $1.5M. We probably have to add, but it fills a F or D slot for under $2M∆.
4) I'd consider this if we've exhausted other options. What about Schmaltz for Risto? Or Schmaltz and Stepan for Risto and MoJo. We shed ~$2.5M cap, so maybe we have to retain on Stepan (only one year) to make the cap even.
5) I'm okay with moving Demers or adding Roussel, but that looks awful to me :dunno:
6) I think we let Vinnie walk. Not sure it's worth buying out Grabner. Depends on how bad we need to squeeze cap.

rt

May 13, 2004

1. Stepan and Hossa to Ottawa for an AHLer. Gives the Sens a cheap vet center and a cap floor buffer for when they sell at the deadline. If you take back an AHLer making NHL money, it'd only be about a 1 mil bump cash wise, so excellent value. Pure cap dump for us.

2. Re-sign Hall for 8.5 mil x 8 years. That makes him our highest paid player. Don't love the term but that's what it may take. Edit: Give Stepan's "A" to Hall.

3. Raanta to Carolina for Reimer. Gives the Canes an elite goaltender when healthy for less than a 1 mil cap increase and a negligible acquisition cost. Not sure how Carolina upgrades at G otherwise when they already have two goalies under contract and others will be more expensive to acquire via trade. Raanta shares the net with Mrazek. We downgrade but get assurance of a healthy backup and about 1 mil cap savings.

4. Schmaltz to Nashville for Johansen. Admittedly I don't love this deal but the only way we will add a legitimate C is to add a flawed one. Johansen is a more natural C than Schmaltz and helps us change our core. For Nashville, they get out of Johansen's 8 mil deal (5 years left), save 2+ mil in cap space, and get a little younger (28 vs. 24).

5. Demers to Vancouver for Roussel. My thinking here is Vancouver previously tried to add Demers (from Florida) but he wouldn't waive his NTC. That NTC is expired now and he could fill a role at RD in Vancouver if they lose Tanev in UFA. Demers and Tanev have relatively equal cap hits. Roussel has one more year of term and moving that out is beneficial to free up future cap for young players like Hughes. For us, Roussel brings that much needed "edge".

6. Buyout Grabner. Release (don't qualify) Hinostroza. The below leaves just under 2 mil in cap space.

Hall - Johansen - Kessel
Keller - Dvorak - Garland
Crouse - Hayton - Fischer
Roussel - Richardson - Bunting
Burke

Fourth line has potential to be irritating. I was actually surprised Bunting wasn't brought into the bubble. I gave Fischer his QO and Richie 1 mil.

OEL - Hammer
Chychrun - Goligoski
Oesterle - Soderstrom
Capobianco

Kuemper
Reimer
If that’s cap-compliant, I’d definitely do all of that. I’d definitely get meaner, more seasoned, but still cheap veterans for the 12th and 13th forward spots, though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yep. Cap space is 1.65 mil using the capfriendly tool.
So I tried this. I think a few of my deals might be light, like the Carolina one, but I doubt they are more than "add a midround pick" unbalanced.

Riemer@50% + Dzingel for Raanta (+pick or whatever)
Schmaltz for RyJo bc you already did it
AJohnsson for Demers (+ pick or whatever)
Stepan and Hossa for Anisimov (I know, I know, but I really don't think they're interested in that much cap just to add Step. Obviously, if you can do it without him, great. Brown would be better. Some jam and cheaper bottom sixer)

Dzingel - RyJo- Keller
AJohnsson- Dvo- Garland
Crouse-Hayton-Phil
Burke- Anismov- Grabner
Bunting

OEL-Hammer
Chych- Soderstrom
Goligoski-Oesterle
Capo

Leaves you with $2.9M to chase a decent scoring forward or shuffle more faces around. And that's with Anisimov at full hit ($4.55M) coming back. If you can shave that figure with Ottawa, it's even more money to play with. That $7.4M cap might be Hall's money if rt had his way! ;) Ansimov with $2M retained leaves you a hair under $5M space.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chychrun has struggled at times in the post season. I’m hesitant to move OEL unless he starts to consistently play at a much higher level than we are seeing right now; especially with Goligoski and Hjarlmarsson a year away from UFA status.
There is no way we can trade OEL without a good D coming back in a trade. I don't trade OEL for RNH or Johansen like some have mentioned here.

Reactions: hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
There is no way we can trade OEL without a good D coming back in a trade. I don't trade OEL for RNH or Johansen like some have mentioned here.
I hope we beat Nashville on Friday. I want to get a longer look at post-Watson-hit OEL. It really woke him the f*** up from a three year slumber. I want to make sure he doesn’t fall back asleep.

Reactions: Kaizen

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
We’re all forgetting about the expansion draft. I am honestly not up on the rules of who / how many people we can protect, but maybe the Kraken take Schmaltz or Kessel off our hands

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We’re all forgetting about the expansion draft. I am honestly not up on the rules of who / how many people we can protect, but maybe the Kraken take Schmaltz or Kessel off our hands
We have zero worries on Expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad