OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Is there any possibility at all that the NHL season will resume? Or is it over? I've heard absolutely nothing about it.

I was hoping they would announce the golf courses could open...although weather for the immediate future looks pretty bad. Hopefully be able to go out and play beginning of May.

I heard grounds crews will be allowed to cut the courses. That's a good sign.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As long as they are sensible, and keep the club house as take out only, don't see why golf courses should be closed. Pretty easy to keep your distance on the course, especially the way I play.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
As long as they are sensible, and keep the club house as take out only, don't see why golf courses should be closed. Pretty easy to keep your distance on the course, especially the way I play.
Wonder if they will only let current members play on them right now.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Good thing hockey is a winter sport. U of WM isn't letting their spring athletes get a additional year of eligibility even though the NCAA has pretty much said all spring sports will be able to.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Phalen must've had two dozen people out there the other day. Next day, no one. I wonder if it's just people who hopped on. I stopped by Como on way to work to try my new putter on their practice green but they said nope...we're waiting til this Saturday for word from Walz.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The weather has been pretty crappy, too, which makes it hard to golf. Supposed to snow Sunday.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Covid-19 isnt going away anytime soon and a vaccine isnt close, and at some point we have to get the economy going again...but when????

Reactions: Northerner

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Covid-19 isnt going away anytime soon and a vaccine isnt close, and at some point we have to get the economy going again...but when????

At the potential of risking lives? I'll hunker down as long as I can if it means keeping people safe.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
At the potential of risking lives? I'll hunker down as long as I can if it means keeping people safe.

It's a tough proposition, no doubt, glad I'm not the one in charge. Clearly we can't stay shut down indefinitely, but I'll hunker down as well until they tell us otherwise.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
So shut down everything for a year??
Is everything shut down? That's news to me
A year? If that's what it takes, I guess. They predict the precipice to by April 23rd in our state. My work (large corporation) is predicting in person functions to resume in June. Small sacrifice for people's lives.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There's never been an option on the table that didn't involve risking lives. Keeping the millions of people indefinitely unemployed seems as big a risk as the virus itself. I think how long is long enough is still an open question, but there seems to be increasing talk of keeping this up through the summer, which I have a hard time seeing as tenable.

I think we need to remember that there's a difference between minimizing risk and eliminating it. Fixating on the latter is likely to do more harm than good.

Reactions: TaLoN and 57special

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Is everything shut down? That's news to me
A year? If that's what it takes, I guess. They predict the precipice to by April 23rd in our state. My work (large corporation) is predicting in person functions to resume in June. Small sacrifice for people's lives.
Yes everything is shut down . tell me a place you can go and hang out with your family? other than taking a walk. So the People who lose jobs and their business and go into depression because they are on lock down and commit suicide those lives dont count? And all the other issues we are creating by being in lock down. Look I get we have to be safe with this and it is unfortunate situation your causing more health issues with people, the models change daily on this so I do not know what to believe anymore. Thankfully this hasnt impacted anyone i know so maybe if it had Id sing a different tune. I dont know. Im just venting fearing for our economy etc. I hope everyone stays safe!

Reactions: Northerner

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Quite a difference between having a place to hang out with your family, and going to, say, an arena or concert, or stadium that has tens of thousands of people crammed into it. I know of many people who are still working, though many, if not all, have had to change the way they work. Little things like doing meetings on line instead of in person, eliminating handshakes, wearing masks and gloves where appropriate(i.e. health, food, hygiene), limiting travel, all make a difference.

The entertainment/service/tourist/travel industry is getting killed, though SOME of them can adjust if they are nimble and smart. The others will be in a tough spot till a vaccine is available.

The reason the models change is because what we do now affects where we will be in the future. The numbers are going down in MN, and most places in the US. I am not complaining about that. I can also say that we still have to be vigilant. This thing can, and does, get into nursing homes and hospitals and will wipe out swathes of those populations in weeks. The death figures aren't out here that i know of, but in Canada close to 50% of the deaths are in Nursing homes. I would bet that it is similar here.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
The balance is determining how opening things up will in turn, result in the economy being in even worse shape for a longer duration. Do you limp along with constant disruption or do you simply shut down, take your lumps and then when it's safe, everyone stands back up at once? I don't know but glad I don't have to pick.

Also, make sure it isn't political. Don't open it up and risk being even worse off because November is looming. Don't keep it closed just to make Trump look like he f'd this up and killed people out of ignorance and economy so you can take control back. Again, glad it's not me that has to pick.

Reactions: 57special

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I know this is a very small thing in the grand scheme of things, so before anyone says otherwise -- I know. I have friends who already lost loved ones to this horrible virus.

Anyone who wants to think that everything is going to go back to normal is fooling themselves. Like many of you, I world travel too. The biggest hindrance we will have as a society is that the majority are not going to want to conform to wearing masks just to go out about their business. That doesn't help things like Entertainment Events or the Service-Industry. It would get things open like salons and stuff though. But people in this country don't like being told they have to do something. Japan, South Korea or China? It is just part of the day to day grind.

But let us say the hypothetically remove the orders under the guise that you have to wear a mask. How many people are going to go to US Bank or Xcel for a game when you're going to be told that you need to sanitize every time you get up from your seat? That in the bathrooms, every 3 urinals need to be empty to maintain social distance? That you must eat and drink only in a designated area where you can remove your mask. You can do either at your seat for fear of water droplets and the close proximity of people?

Doubtful. Even larger corporations are going to have a hard time with bullpen style open-concept cubes because, again, social distancing is still going to be in place until a vaccine is ready.

Same goes for bars and sit-down places. It would require every other table be vacated and you will most likely get a time limit for how long you can stay because they'll have a waiting list for probably weeks because people are so ready to get the hell out of the house and eat. Socialization is going to be hard as well.

And don't forget that Dr. Fauci is also advocating that we stop shaking hands all together. Something that has been culturally embedded in both business and social interactions as a method of a warm reception greeting to one another. This is a country where people are not going to bow, and they certainly are not going to bump elbows....

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The point of the shutdown of most of the institutions in this country was to "flatten the curve." I don't see this going through the whole summer, because that would have a bigger negative impact than it's worth. Private companies are already focused on making products to help treat those that get sick, so once they feel the stockpile is large enough, things will open back up. There is no chance everything stays this way until we have a vaccine and can get rid of the virus.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The point of the shutdown of most of the institutions in this country was to "flatten the curve." I don't see this going through the whole summer, because that would have a bigger negative impact than it's worth. Private companies are already focused on making products to help treat those that get sick, so once they feel the stockpile is large enough, things will open back up. There is no chance everything stays this way until we have a vaccine and can get rid of the virus.
If there is another big spike things will stay the same. The next few months will ultimately decide what we do for the next year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
well, it's adapt or die. Not a lot of choices, here. AS a tradesman, I never was a big fan of shaking hands. They were always dirty, or sore from all the abuse I put them through.

We planned a family reunion in July at Myrtle Beach before all this went down. Rented out a big house, and will fill it with about 25 people ranging in ages from 10-80. All of us will have to fly there, some from the West Coast. Doesn't seem to be wise right now. Will it be worth it if Grandma ends up catching Covid-19 as a result of all the travel and the attendant exposure?

The sports thing is a killer, both for fans and for players. both of my sons are pretty good baseball players. 95% of the actual time on the field is apart from others, but the catcher and umpire see a lot of traffic. What's the worst, though, is the dugouts. Everyone is burping, spitting, chewing and spitting out seeds, and all sitting right beside one another.

Hockey and football has close contact either in the game, on the bench, or in the dressing room. Basketabll has almost no shielding from one another. F1 and NASCAR time? Downhill skiing?

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If there is another big spike things will stay the same. The next few months will ultimately decide what we do for the next year.

There will be another spike when these social distancing and quarantine measures end. The idea is that we'll be better prepared for that spike based on the measures we've taken in March and April, in terms of supplies and treatments and knowledge. But the point is you can't keep everything in lockdown to avoid the spike. The lockdown is to help us prepare, not to completely rid ourselves of it.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Five weeks ago it was widely reported that Seattle was the hardest hit area in the US for corona virus which is probably why they decided to put a field hospital there. Now “The hastily built field hospital set up by the Army in Seattle's pro football stadium is shutting down without ever seeing a patient” -https://news.yahoo.com/armys-seattle-field-hospital-closes-165646379.html.

”Durkan said the judgment has been made that the state's hospitals currently have the capacity to deal with the coronavirus threat.”

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Yes everything is shut down . tell me a place you can go and hang out with your family? other than taking a walk. So the People who lose jobs and their business and go into depression because they are on lock down and commit suicide those lives dont count? And all the other issues we are creating by being in lock down. Look I get we have to be safe with this and it is unfortunate situation your causing more health issues with people, the models change daily on this so I do not know what to believe anymore. Thankfully this hasnt impacted anyone i know so maybe if it had Id sing a different tune. I dont know. Im just venting fearing for our economy etc. I hope everyone stays safe!
The lack of empathy towards those who have to go in to work is shocking.

One state suicide line saw an Iincrease in calls from 1000 to 25000 in one day. Those are real people with real lives - mortgages and car payments - that God knows what they're going through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad