*OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodeoClown

Oct 28, 2013
How has Harper looked recently? I have noticed he is starting to get some points but just wondering how he is doing in belleville

He has really stepped things up over the past week and a half or so. For awhile it seemed he was going through the motions, but lately he's playing the way a guy his size should.

He has a lot of potential. Hopefully he'll continue playing this way.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
I hope you realize that as a self-proclaimed colour commentator on Cogeco during Bulls games, these comments don't lend you any credibility.

Let's get real here, the team isn't making the playoffs this year, and even if they do they'll be swept.

I want the future of this team to be as bright as possible, and that happens to be by them finishing last and getting the first overall pick. Sorry if you disagree, but I think it's in the Bulls best interest to draft first overall, and not 2nd or 3rd.

RodeoClown

Oct 28, 2013
Let's get real here, the team isn't making the playoffs this year, and even if they do they'll be swept.

I want the future of this team to be as bright as possible, and that happens to be by them finishing last and getting the first overall pick. Sorry if you disagree, but I think it's in the Bulls best interest to draft first overall, and not 2nd or 3rd.

I'm not suggesting that they'll make the playoffs, that isn't the issue.

The issue is the utter lack of integrity that would be shown by intentionally tanking. You just don't do it. This whole DeAngelo circus in Sarnia just makes that franchise look like a joke. (and yes I'm aware he's been suspended by the league now. Convenient timing isn't it?)

There's a whole human side to this issue as well, it's more than just numbers on a page. Are you really going to tell a group of hard working kids to mail it in? What kind of message does that send them?

As a paying fan I want to see the current players cultivate winning habits. The last few games have been good ones for guys like Heffernan, Petti and Berisha. It's taking awhile and we've all had to watch a lot of mistakes this season, but I'm happy to have a second or third overall pick if it means doing things the right way and not abandoning all manner of class in the process.

Additionally, when I listen to a colour commentator on television, I want to be told something of depth and substance. I want to hear information I wouldn't otherwise already know just watching the game by myself. When I turn on Cogeco to watch the game now, the first thing I'm going to think is "there's that guy off the message boards who is hoping the Bulls will lose tonight."

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
I'm not suggesting that they'll make the playoffs, that isn't the issue.

The issue is the utter lack of integrity that would be shown by intentionally tanking. You just don't do it. This whole DeAngelo circus in Sarnia just makes that franchise look like a joke. (and yes I'm aware he's been suspended by the league now. Convenient timing isn't it?)

There's a whole human side to this issue as well, it's more than just numbers on a page. Are you really going to tell a group of hard working kids to mail it in? What kind of message does that send them?

As a paying fan I want to see the current players cultivate winning habits. The last few games have been good ones for guys like Heffernan, Petti and Berisha. It's taking awhile and we've all had to watch a lot of mistakes this season, but I'm happy to have a second or third overall pick if it means doing things the right way and not abandoning all manner of class in the process.

Additionally, when I listen to a colour commentator on television, I want to be told something of depth and substance. I want to hear information I wouldn't otherwise already know just watching the game by myself. When I turn on Cogeco to watch the game now, the first thing I'm going to think is "there's that guy off the message boards who is hoping the Bulls will lose tonight."

There's no doubt the boys have been playing better as of late. It's nice to see the secondary guys like Heff and Crammer get their points.

I'm not saying the Bulls should intentionally lose every game. I'm not saying they should sit veterans in favour of rookies and cause themselves to lose. And I'm not saying Graham/Guigs should intentionally allow easy goals in an effort to lose the remaining 14 games.

I want the guys to play hard. I want them to give it all they've got. I don't want them to lose 14 in a row to finish the season. If there's a way for them to play as hard as they can and still finish with the first pick, I would be all over that. I'm not going to go on a tirade and bash the team should they finish a few points ahead of Sarnia/Kitchener, but I will be a bit disappointed that they missed out on a player as hyped as Chychrun.

I'm a fan of the team whether they finish last, second, or third. Whichever player they draft this year will be a huge part of the future of the Bulls, and I'm looking forward to watching whoever it may be. There's just one player I, along with 99% of Bulls fans, would like to see over any others.

RodeoClown

Oct 28, 2013
Been wanting to see Owen Sound play for awhile. They seem to have had modest results this year in what might be called a "rebuild season" for them.

They draft well consistently and are still a respectable team even without Jarrod Maidens who has battled concussions for two years now.

Will be interesting to see how Subban responds tonight after his "timeout" on Thursday.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Still no word on Worrad's availability for tonight's game? Big loss if he's a no go. Puts alot of pressure on Morris and Bean to eat up his minutes. Still not thinking we will sneak in the playoffs, hoping for a very good draft, this group needs an infusion of big-time talent.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
This rebuild could turn around in a huge way next season. A (likely) top 3 pick in the OHL draft, and probably a top 5 pick in the import draft, along with the growth of the 2nd and 3rd year guys the Bulls have already, next year could be fun.

Not really any high profile names on the Attack eh? Hope coming off a 41 save shutout last night. Wonder if he'll get the start tonight

jdan1997

Aug 22, 2012
Chad heffernan is on a tear! Good to see some other guys picking up points as well. Very impressed

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Happy the boys are winning, but on the other hand I'm wishing the bulls the highest pick possible.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Happy the boys are winning, but on the other hand I'm wishing the bulls the highest pick possible.

From a Sarnia fan's perspective, I agree with you. There should be some sort of lottery or different system for the order people pick in the draft. Sarnia is pathetic right now with a top player out on suspension and are barely fielding three lines right now. This really shouldn't be rewarded.

Belleville is three points ahead of Sarnia - a fan should be able to go to a game, hope their team wins and still have a chance at the top pick. Other posters on this and other boards have question if Sarnia is tanking - if you look at their long term record you would realize they probably aren't - the fact is they are a very poorly run team.

The draft needs to change for the integrity of the game.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
From a Sarnia fan's perspective, I agree with you. There should be some sort of lottery or different system for the order people pick in the draft. Sarnia is pathetic right now with a top player out on suspension and are barely fielding three lines right now. This really shouldn't be rewarded.

Belleville is three points ahead of Sarnia - a fan should be able to go to a game, hope their team wins and still have a chance at the top pick. Other posters on this and other boards have question if Sarnia is tanking - if you look at their long term record you would realize they probably aren't - the fact is they are a very poorly run team.

The draft needs to change for the integrity of the game.

Great post! 100% Agree
Maybe its something the BOG will take a look at in the summer for future drafts? As a OHL fan i'm not a huge fan of teams sitting on the fence on rebuilds, either go all in or total rebuild. Just my opinion

RodeoClown

Oct 28, 2013
Whale of a game last night. Great atmosphere in the building and the Bulls played outstanding! Bricknell is a wild man!

Love seeing some of these guys who have really struggled starting to see results for their hard work.

If a positive finish to the season, and at least somewhat of a race for the last playoff spot heats up in the final few weeks, I'm willing to pick anywhere in the top five. I think a positive finish and some competitive games that hold significant meaning would be good for some of these young players, even if the Bulls come up short. Will send the team into the offseason on a positive note.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Whale of a game last night. Great atmosphere in the building and the Bulls played outstanding! Bricknell is a wild man!

Love seeing some of these guys who have really struggled starting to see results for their hard work.

If a positive finish to the season, and at least somewhat of a race for the last playoff spot heats up in the final few weeks, I'm willing to pick anywhere in the top five. I think a positive finish and some competitive games that hold significant meaning would be good for some of these young players, even if the Bulls come up short. Will send the team into the offseason on a positive note.

This momentum swing is just what the Doctor ordered for confidence building and development. If they can avoid a huge swing back the other way they will finish off on a win whether they make the playoffs or not and will definitely be in a much better position to start next year.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
This momentum swing is just what the Doctor ordered for confidence building and development. If they can avoid a huge swing back the other way they will finish off on a win whether they make the playoffs or not and will definitely be in a much better position to start next year.

From watching this league for more years than I want to admit, games get harder to win after the trade deadline. I have often questioned why this is - coaches tend to shorten their bench more, more focus with playoffs coming,....

Regardless of their standings, it is a good sign for any team to be improving at this time of the year. It not only shows improvement, but improvement during a period when wins are tougher to come by. Belleville is showing they are truly rebuilding and have something to look forward to next year.

RodeoClown

Oct 28, 2013
Having watched the game today it's clear that losing Lemcke off the blueline leaves a pretty big hole. He plays with a calmness to his game that you don't get in Bean, Morris or to be honest even Subban. In the long term I think Justin is going to be a real leader on defence.

Subban did have two assists today and the power play scored three times but he had his usual adventures back there too.

Bulls lost Bignell and Raycroft and were down to four defence by the end of the game. Harper dropped back to play D in the third. I don't know the severity of Worrad, Lemcke, Bignell but it's going to be tough sledding to win games without all three in the lineup. Bean struggled with an increased workload.

Wasn't a whitewashing by any means. Bulls didn't quit but getting down early seemed to put them behind the eight ball for the rest of the game.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Major trouble now:
M archment season over shoulder
L emeke season over shoulder
Jake Worrad high ankle
Bignell day to day
RAYCROFT DAY TO DAY

Lyons89

Aug 21, 2012
Yeah this game is going to be tough for bulls. They have 2 forwards playing defence tonight. Harper and berisha.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
NorthBayMaroon: Welcome to HFBoards. This being your first post may I make a friendly suggestion: scroll down to the Peterborough Petes link and try your question there. I'm sure you'll get a good reply or two. Again, welcome aboard.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Nice to see Jake Bricknell starting to evolve in the second half of the season. Kinda reminds me of a young Matt Beleskey, has heart just starting to get his feet used to the speed. Hope he cuts that hair thou! Lol

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Heffernan not listed on game sheet today. If he's out he'll join Marchment, Worrad, Bignell, Lemke and Raycroft on the sidelines.

RodeoClown

Oct 28, 2013
The mighty Bulls prevail again! Great weekend all around. Put up a good fight on Saturday and gutted out a hard win this afternoon.

Not sure what is up with Heffernan. Another guy out of the lineup now and Morris took a shot in the head today so who knows how long he's going to be on the shelf.

Someone needs to make a Mighty Mouse poster for Laishram and put it up at the rink. Kid has heart!

Berisha and Harper have both been excellent playing defence. Almost tempting to want to leave them back there even if Raycroft or Bignell get healthy. At least these guys can move the puck.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
The mighty Bulls prevail again! Great weekend all around. Put up a good fight on Saturday and gutted out a hard win this afternoon.

Not sure what is up with Heffernan. Another guy out of the lineup now and Morris took a shot in the head today so who knows how long he's going to be on the shelf.

Someone needs to make a Mighty Mouse poster for Laishram and put it up at the rink. Kid has heart!

Berisha and Harper have both been excellent playing defence. Almost tempting to want to leave them back there even if Raycroft or Bignell get healthy. At least these guys can move the puck.

Can this get any worse...err I mean any better?? So many guys out and key guys and they have forwards playing D and they're winning games?? Wtf?

Yes, you get two skilled forwards and suddenly you get passes and the breakout starts working much better and the puck gets into the offensive zone more often thereby giving you more chances to score and helps with shots against!

Bulls outshot PBO! Well they also outshot Oshawa...point is the ratio of Shots for and Shots Against compared to the the beginning of the season has dramatically changed and hence wins coming along rather well. 5 wins 3 losses past 8 games is a great improvement but the concern has to be there with so few guys left and with almost all your rookies playing every night and only 5 D how much longer can this last? 5 D is tough let alone 2 of them being forwards. Short shifts and lots of rest might buy time for someone to come back, but who? Bignell gone for season along with Marchment, Lemcke and Worrad. Not sure about the others...would be great to see the ever patient Raycroft come back and get an opportunity. That would allow one of 2 skilled forwards to help bolster the front end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad