(Official) Around the NHL Thread 10.0: We're Bad, But So Is The Pacific Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
If Phaneuf isn't the number 1 dman he won't be terrible. He's goi g to be paired with Karlsson.

I have nothing against Phaneuf but 7mx6 for a 30 years old #3 defensemen has some pretty bad long-term implications.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't think they would acquired him with the intention of playing him as the #3 dman.

As a Sens fan I disagree. Methot has worked really well with Karlsson, while their other two pairings are a tire fire. Phaneuf's job is to lessen the fire from the second pairing as much as possible.

I could very well be wrong, but that is what managment has been preaching for a while. The need to upgrade the D.

moon*

I don't think they would acquired him with the intention of playing him as the #3 dman.

Why?

They didn't give up a ton to get him so why would they feel a need to play him higher than he is a fit for? Especially when Karlsson-Methot seem to have decent chemistry and working well and they have (reportedly) been looking for a partner to pair with Ceci?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Odd. Babcock did nothing but rave about Phaneuf.

Pretty underwhelming all around. Leafs get cap space, Senators get a overpaid but legitimate top four defenceman signed forever, while dumping a bunch of their bad contracts.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
What would that trade have looked like from a Calgary perspective?

Stajan, Raymond, colborne, 2nd for phaneuf + contracts?

If the flames were still in the mix, that is not a bad trade for the flames. I think Dion would pair very nicely with Hamilton.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Stajan+Raymond+Smid+Klimchuk/Poirier+2nd

And still do not want Phaneuf's 7M cap hit for the next five years. All of the Flames bad contracts save Stajan are done after next season and they'll be in an excellent spot to aggressively pursue free agents or quality RFA's. But they need to restock the cupboards with assets now to make that happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

If the flames were still in the mix, that is not a bad trade for the flames. I think Dion would pair very nicely with Hamilton.
Raymond, Colborne, Smith and Engelland?

It's tough to say because the Flames don't really have a comparable to Cowen.

Aug 21, 2014

Stajan + Smid + Raymond + 2nd for Dion...

Smid becomes Polak's replacement, Raymond becomes Grabner's replacement. Stajan a good vet too keep around during a rebuild...

I was pretty close... :laugh:

Stajan = Michalek
Smid = Cowan
Raymond = Greening
? = Lindberg
2nd = 2nd

Just missing the Lindberg replacement..

If that happened I would've wanted these pairings:

Gio-Phaneuf
Brodie-Hamilton
Russell-Engelland

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Cowan has a cap hit of 3.1M and an actual salary of 3.7M this season and 4.5M next season.

Smid's cap hit is 3.5M and an actual salary of 3.75M this season, and 4M next season.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Cowan makes Smid look like a dynamo. :laugh:

Cowan actually has some offensive tools (his NHL stats don't reflect this) but he is so bad defensively you can't really use him as anything more than a situational #6.

Trust me, I know. Cowan being moved as a Sens fan is practically a gift in itself.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Phaneuf's dollars paid goes down over the contract each year too, so it's a higher cap hit than pay amount which is good for the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad