[Official] Around the NHL 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
Say we do somehow acquire Hamilton via offer sheet. What's the rules on UFA/RFA status? For example, would signing a 3 year deal (would make him 25 when the contract is done) make him a UFA?

No he'd only have played 6 seasons. To be a UFA you either play 7 seasons or are 27. Whichever comes first.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, given Burkie's stance on offersheets, he'd veto that decision if it came to it.

This is a complete misconception of Burke. He's fine with the offer sheet, he just wasn't fine with the one he got for Penner; simply because it was a ridiculous raise and it came out of nowhere. Hell, he was going to offer sheet Kessel before the trade as a bargaining tool.

Calgary should absolutely be in on Dougie. This team is honestly pretty close, I think with Bennett + another top 4 dman, we are set up for success; that plus some of the good talent we have coming up from the minors. You're talking about a top 2, sub 25 y.o that plays in all situations and has offensive talents... These don't come around too often.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No he'd only have played 6 seasons. To be a UFA you either play 7 seasons or are 27. Whichever comes first.

I knew that rule, was just unsure whether an offersheet just removes the RFA status.

It would have to be a 2-3 year offersheet then to keep Hamilton's RFA status since he is playing his 3rd season. If there was a player that I'd want us offersheeting, it'd be Dougie. Boston is in cap trouble, I think Dougie would sign over here.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd offer sheet Hamilton all day. He's already a top pairing dman, he's going to be of the premier defenceman in the league for the next decade. Even if we gave up 3 x 1st round picks, I'd do it. Especially with the depth of picks we have this year, I would totally do it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
This is a complete misconception of Burke. He's fine with the offer sheet, he just wasn't fine with the one he got for Penner; simply because it was a ridiculous raise and it came out of nowhere. Hell, he was going to offer sheet Kessel before the trade as a bargaining tool.

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall him going on a tirade on offer sheets even when he was in Toronto.

Edit: You're right. I guess I mistook that for another rant he had haha

[nhl]120355120355120355[/nhl]

Aug 21, 2014
How about this?

Offersheet Hamilton, Feaster-like 2 years 5m Average salary (year 1 3.5m, year 2 6.5m) So the compensation would 1st and 3rd in 2016

Then trade Wideman to recoup assets? Rationale, Wideman's value has never been so high as a Flame.

Potential D-Pairings:

Gio-Brodie/Hamilton
Russell-Brodie/Hamilton
Schlemko/Wotherspoon-Engelland/Diaz
Schlemko/Diaz/

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, given Burkie's stance on offersheets, he'd veto that decision if it came to it.
Burke has no issues with offer sheet. He will just tell the Bruins our intentions to give the player one so there is a chance to work out a trade first.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How about this?

Offersheet Hamilton, Feaster-like 2 years 5m Average salary (year 1 3.5m, year 2 6.5m) So the compensation would 1st and 3rd in 2016

Then trade Wideman to recoup assets? Rationale, Wideman's value has never been so high as a Flame.

I am absolutely on board for a nice big offer sheet like that; I'd even be okay with a 6.25-6.5 million dollar offer sheet; there's little difference between giving up your 1st, 2nd and 3rd... and your 1st & 3rd; if that's the stray that breaks the camels back, then you have to do it.

Backload the offer on a short term to set the value that you'd have to resign him for. Let's say 6.2 million: 6, 6.2, 6.4. They have all of 10 million cap to spare; have all of 10 forwards, 3 Dmen and 1 goalie signed. At 5-6.5 million; that gives very, very little wiggle room for this team.

3.5 million to spend on 6 roster players is really tough. Even at league minimums this is cutting is tight... You could bury Kelly in the minors or something for some more space... but that would be a team close to the cap with a really, really weak bottom half of the lineup.

EDIT*
As for the second part; if the season doesn't go so well, we can always trade some assets to get back into the first round. Wideman, Hudler and a couple others could get some nice big returns from teams at next years deadline, it's why I wouldn't cry about not having a few picks next season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Something tells me regardless of what happens, the Bruins will match the offer. They'll find a way to keep Dougie, because they need him as their #1 guy, especially with how much Chara is declining year by year.

Aug 21, 2014
Something tells me regardless of what happens, the Bruins will match the offer. They'll find a way to keep Dougie, because they need him as their #1 guy, especially with how much Chara is declining year by year.

That's why you backload the deal. So the Bruins have to give him QO of over 6.5M.

Edit: Biggest offersheet I'd offer is 2 years 12.3m (6.15m AAV) year 1 4.305m 2nd year 7.995m.

Compensation 1st,2nd,3rd. Would probably make Hamilton the 2nd most paid player on the team after Gio's Extension kicks in.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Wow, what's with all of the injuries. Perhaps players are pushing themselves over the limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad