OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Plus the "attractive" ASU students actually hang out in Old Town never Mill. Like RT states, their are "snooty" places and non "snooty" places in Old Town. Unfortunately Mickie's Hangover closed and that was one of the less "snooty" places. A new cool place that is really a hybrid of everything is American Junkie in Old Town.

Which is why I prefer hanging out at Westgate more! Westgate has a more diverse, open minded and down to earth crowd where what rt describes asthe stereotype at old town is just an exception at WestGate!
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Speaking of college student trends and bars, personally I have come across more down to earth students in Tempe than I did in Tucson.
UofA IMO is one of shallow and stuck up schools in the USA. Too many students stay within their own click and the going to the bars on 4th Ave made it difficult for me to meet others while not so much in Metro Phoenix!

Depending on who you ask some will say it has to do with the So Cal influence on the rise in AZ as more people from So. Cal are moving here!
Posted via Mobile Device

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Plus the "attractive" ASU students actually hang out in Old Town never Mill.

I don't know about that. The ones on Mill are certainly easier to approach, that's for sure. If my goal were to "find" a girl. I'd personally prefer Mill to Old Town. Maybe that's just because I'm so rusty, I don't know.

yakko

Mar 19, 2004
Northern California
Speaking of college student trends and bars, personally I have come across more down to earth students in Tempe than I did in Tucson.
UofA IMO is one of shallow and stuck up schools in the USA. Too many students stay within their own click and the going to the bars on 4th Ave made it difficult for me to meet others while not so much in Metro Phoenix!

Depending on who you ask some will say it has to do with the So Cal influence on the rise in AZ as more people from So. Cal are moving here!
Posted via Mobile Device
It is funny you should bring that up. I have always thought Phoenix was more like southern California than like the rest of Arizona. I much prefer being in the cities away from Phoenix, like Tucson.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Is there a cheap hotel near Jobing.com Arena that anyone would recommend? Nothing flashy, but internet connection is a must!

I'm heading in for a Saturday game this year - fly in Saturday morning, out Sunday morning, so I don't need to be close to the zoo or any interesting landmarks or tourist spots! (Assuming I can buy all the Coyotes gear and jerseys I'd need at the arena itself!)

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
I don't know about that. The ones on Mill are certainly easier to approach, that's for sure. If my goal were to "find" a girl. I'd personally prefer Mill to Old Town. Maybe that's just because I'm so rusty, I don't know.

Dude you need to get your game up to par man! I'll be honest I have had "better luck" hunting in Old Town than on Mill. Just me personalty.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
It is funny you should bring that up. I have always thought Phoenix was more like southern California than like the rest of Arizona. I much prefer being in the cities away from Phoenix, like Tucson.

I like Tucson too and wish I could live back there but the money is in Phoenix not down there!
But when the college kids come back into town down there it seems that the So Cal influence has overtaken the college city!
Posted via Mobile Device

TeamTourigny

Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
Is there a cheap hotel near Jobing.com Arena that anyone would recommend? Nothing flashy, but internet connection is a must!

I'm heading in for a Saturday game this year - fly in Saturday morning, out Sunday morning, so I don't need to be close to the zoo or any interesting landmarks or tourist spots! (Assuming I can buy all the Coyotes gear and jerseys I'd need at the arena itself!)

There is a second hotel on the property in the parking lot of Westagte that fronts the 101 freeway, just can't remember who's hotel that is? Quality Inn maybe?

EDIT: It's a Hampton Inn.

ShootThePuckCoyotes

Jul 13, 2006
Phoenix
There is a second hotel on the property in the parking lot of Westagte that fronts the 101 freeway, just can't remember who's hotel that is? Quality Inn maybe?

EDIT: It's a Hampton Inn.

I don't know how cheap it is but the Hampton Inn is really nice. I stayed there one New Years Eve with friends and I don't remember it being cheap. We split it between 4 people and the convenience of being able o walk to our room was well worth it though.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Mill is very good but it's not much different than most college hot spots while Old Town Scottsdale is one of the top destinations in all of the US, where bar hopping is concerned anyway. That said I don't think he'll be disappointed by either Mill or Old Town Scottsdale.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mill is very good but it's not much different than most college hot spots while Old Town Scottsdale is one of the top destinations in all of the US, where bar hopping is concerned anyway. That said I don't think he'll be disappointed by either Mill or Old Town Scottsdale.

I can't disagree, here. Good points.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

When specifically are you coming in? Keep in mind that October is the start of the busy season in AZ and will last till early May which means prices will be on the rise.
You're best bet is to buy a package that includes airfare and hotel and you may want to look at a hotel that is a few miles away from the arena if its cheaper to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

TeamTourigny

Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
With all the Mill ave vs. Old Town debate, it should be noted that our very own Westagte has been quietly building up it's nightlife scene. Tons of people out and about this past Saturday and non looked like they attended the game.

I'm still in my prime, I've just got a lot of ring rust to shake off. Long lay off, man. Looong layoff.

lets get you out there man! A catch and release program.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
With all the Mill ave vs. Old Town debate, it should be noted that our very own Westagte has been quietly building up it's nightlife scene. Tons of people out and about this past Saturday and non looked like they attended the game.

lets get you out there man! A catch and release program.

Also to more people from the far east valley and in Buckeye and west of are taking advantage of Westgate on the Weekends even when nothing big is going on!
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Zyllyx

Just wondering!

What is there to do in Peoria from your perspective?
I can look stuff up but wanted to know more specifically from someone who lives there!
Surely there would be hot spots there from those who got done attending hockey and football games at WestGate!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Zyllyx

Just wondering!

What is there to do in Peoria from your perspective?
I can look stuff up but wanted to know more specifically from someone who lives there!
Surely there would be hot spots there from those who got done attending hockey and football games at WestGate!
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you just relate hot spots and Peoria?!

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I would think there would be hot spots there considering Peoria is the next city just north of Glendale!
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you just relate hot spots and Peoria?!

This place just opened (it's not Peoria but it's on the west side):

http://www.sangrialuxelounge.com/

Their gimmick is to bring Old Town Scottsdale style clubs to the Westside.

Become a Friend with 'Sangria Luxe' on Facebook and you'll get sent all their events.

Westgate and Downtown Phoenix have been quietly building up a great night life scene.

Check out FUSE Friday nights at Bar Smith downtown.

Last edited:

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
When specifically are you coming in? Keep in mind that October is the start of the busy season in AZ and will last till early May which means prices will be on the rise.
You're best bet is to buy a package that includes airfare and hotel and you may want to look at a hotel that is a few miles away from the arena if its cheaper to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

My wife works for an airline, so I can fly down for criminally cheap prices! So a travel package is out for me.

I hope to be down in December for the Sens game! (The 5th I think?)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
My wife works for an airline, so I can fly down for criminally cheap prices! So a travel package is out for me.

I hope to be down in December for the Sens game! (The 5th I think?)

Even better! The game is going to be on the 5th of December.

December is the middle of its money making season and any hotel anywhere is going to be expensive especially for 1 night only!

There are only 2 hotels within walking distance to the arena and they are both in the WestGate City Center: The renaissance and the hotel Team Turris mentioned.

Hampton in is going to be the cheaper of the 2 but could cost you between 70-110 if you purchase on the night on the day of the game unless you have better luck with buying in advance.

They have free wifi as well from what I understand

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=PHXGLHX

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'd hate to see this thread get lost in the pile since there's some good info on here!

Who here has traveled to a Non-Coyotes hockey game before?

I once was a frequent visitor to the IceCats games at the Madhouse on Main Street.

Always looked forward to watching UA taking it to ASU both on the scoreboard and in the ring.

Always brought the tickets cheap and sat at the glass level. Hell I even had some money to buy beer and get drunk in the process.

Anyone been to a Sundogs game?
Posted via Mobile Device

rt

May 13, 2004
Always looked forward to watching UA taking it to ASU both on the scoreboard and in the ring.

HAHA! I got drunk with a bunch of guys from the ASU hockey team like four or five years ago. I was shocked at how small they all were. It was like the soccer team from my highschool all decided to grow beards, and go out drinking, or something. Anyway, it must've just been like the ten smallest guys on the team all hung out, by coincidence because I know the whole team couldn't have been that size. Probably second team freshmen, or something, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad