Official 8th Baseball ATD Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
If everyone puts their pms on pop-up, it will greatly increase the chance of them being noticed immediately.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There is an argument that the first two players are interchangeable in this draft, it's simply a matter of preference.

However, what Ruth has over this player are postseason stats. He had tremendous stats as a young pitcher as well as a hitter (1923, 1926-28).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If you factor in offense and defense, Mays can be argued as the greatest player ever. No question. Can't fault anyone for taking him at 2.

Figured Johnson would be the pick there. Rarely have i ever seen him out of the top 3 in reputable ATD's. Dominant anchor to your rotation.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If you factor in offense and defense, Mays can be argued as the greatest player ever. No question. Can't fault anyone for taking him at 2.

Figured Johnson would be the pick there. Rarely have i ever seen him out of the top 3 in reputable ATD's. Dominant anchor to your rotation.

Please don't take this as snarky, totally not meant to be, but how many ATDs have you seen/are there?

This is the first I've heard of something like this.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
This is the 8th. I don't recall how many he went in the Top 3 but it was likely most of them. He's easily the best SP of all-time in my and many others estimation.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Please don't take this as snarky, totally not meant to be, but how many ATDs have you seen/are there?

This is the first I've heard of something like this.

No worries. I've done a slew of them over the past 10 years or so. I can only recall one off the top of my head where he wasn't top 3 and i THINK he went 5 that year. A few of the drafts were on KFFL, which no longer exists, otherwise I could have pulled some of those for references.

Johnson is widely regarded as the most dominant SP of all time. I've heard arguments for a few other guys but they are far and few between. Pitching has a smaller pool of dominant players and given that most consider Johnson the best, I don't see how he ever falls below the 3-5 range.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
:laugh:

(oh man, just noticed we don't have Justified/856 in this years draft....he's a good baseball guy)

Yeah bummer. Good guy but made some horrible decisions wrt teams he's following.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region

The reason I took so long to pick was because I was agonizing between selecting Mays or Johnson. The deciding factor to me may have been the fact that Mays played the entirety of his major league career post-integration, whereas Johnson, who I think is one of the three best pitchers ever (if not the best), never did.

Ugh. I hate picking after Ruth is off the board. :laugh:

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
There's always a balancing act between eras yeah? Post vs pre expansion, post vs pre integration, post vs pre Latin influx, etc. I find it tough when you are comparing players against such great lengths of time to hold a specific time against someone. I realize that it was more of a nudge than a deciding factor in your case, however. I recall last draft Murray was trying to overcome a matchup with Big Train by saying someone who threw only fastballs would be absolutely lit up nowadays but by the same token we could also give Mays a maple bat :)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
FotS stated that he was playing Babe at one of the corner infield spots. Was that a typo, or is he playing him there?

Obviously a typo since I also said of which he played both almost equally, whereas he never played 3rd at all and only 32 games at 1st. As much as I'd love to see Ruth man some 3rd for the Indians he'll be staying in the outfield.

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
I had a trade in the works that fell through (since the guy was after Teddy Ballgame). Still interested in trading down. If no offers, I'll make my pick later this morning.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No Teddy Ballgame for me this time around. Had him in most drafts.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
There's always a balancing act between eras yeah? Post vs pre expansion, post vs pre integration, post vs pre Latin influx, etc. I find it tough when you are comparing players against such great lengths of time to hold a specific time against someone. I realize that it was more of a nudge than a deciding factor in your case, however. I recall last draft Murray was trying to overcome a matchup with Big Train by saying someone who threw only fastballs would be absolutely lit up nowadays but by the same token we could also give Mays a maple bat :)

All very prescient points. When you're dealing with so many different factors involving players from different eras, who didn't play against equal competition, who used a dead and a live ball depending on when they played, who traveled exclusively by train versus those who flew through modern jet travel, etc. it's so difficult to normalize and eliminate the variables.

With respect to Barney, I think that his biggest impediment would be the fact that post-integration, aside from the obvious mass influx of talented black and Latino players (many of whom went on to have Hall of Fame-calibre careers), his fastball would no longer stand out as the dominant force that it was in the Deadball Era when virtually no pitcher even approached 90 mph. When you have a league full of hitters used to facing off against fireballers such as [undrafted player names removed - sorry guys], it becomes much less of a weapon. They would have adjusted to it with improved bat speed, and Johnson would have to mix in some more off-speed stuff in order to keep them off-balance.

Anyways, like you said, it's such a fine balancing act judging between eras. I went back and forth for hours on which guy to pick between the two. I almost wish that I had picked third given the dilemma I faced. ;)

Last edited:

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
All very prescient points. When you're dealing with so many different factors involving players from different eras, who didn't play against equal competition, who used a dead and a live ball depending on when they played, who traveled exclusively by train versus those who flew through modern jet travel, etc. it's so difficult to normalize and eliminate the variables. ... Anyways, like you said, it's such a fine balancing act judging between eras. I went back and forth for hours on which guy to pick between the two. I almost wish that I had picked third given the dilemma I faced. ;)
Agreed with all this. I've changed my thinking a lot on a lot of things in the last year including the impact of different era. Teams picking 7-10 have some nice choices this year. Please don't mention undrafted players.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Agreed. Technically, I'm sure if you placed 2001 Barry Bonds in the 1920's and 30's, he'd have gone #1 overall in this draft. :)

But I've always thought that was sort of against the spirit of this thing. At least in my estimation. I love the old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad