Official 2022 IIHF World Championship Thread

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Aight Canada that was a bit unexpected when I was checking the live scores. Nylander f***ed his own team though

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
....men

My liver is ready.

Kind of weird one, Riga was going to co-host with Minsk I think, but that one's gone for obvious reasons. I don't know why they need to have two host cities now, much less 2 different countries to do it.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
It’s wild to me the amount of higher end talent a smaller hockey country like Germany has produced recently. Draisaitl, Stutzle, & Seider are pretty much there already. We’ll see what Reichel & JJP can do still.

I’d be curious to see what their youth participation numbers do going forward with legitimate players like that who are some of the best in the NHL.

They were a main stay at the senior level when I was a kid with guys like Kolzig, Sturm, etc. but then they really faded. This is a more talented group than that era. But obviously the entire world not counting the big powers are getting better at hockey. Switzerland for example made huge strides over my lifetime.
Germany is very good in producing talent in most sports due to training grounds and medical help. And the financial help for athletes is also very good.

I think we will continue to get good results in Hockey, cause Draisaitl, Stützle and Seider will be good role model for young kids.

Maybe sometime the Flyer draft another German player! Noebels wasnt good. Seidenberg was!

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Insanely dumb penalty by Pastrnak in a 1-1 semi-final game has opened the floodgates for Canada

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Germany is very good in producing talent in most sports due to training grounds and medical help. And the financial help for athletes is also very good.

I think we will continue to get good results in Hockey, cause Draisaitl, Stützle and Seider will be good role model for young kids.

Maybe sometime the Flyer draft another German player! Noebels wasnt good. Seidenberg was!

Red Bull money is also going to help the whole region... the facilities and programme at the Salzburg academy are insane.

Make every CHL, USHL and most NCAA facilities (and a lot of NHL facilities) look a joke.

Already seeing results and will push youth levels higher too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Red Bull money is also going to help the whole region... the facilities and programme at the Salzburg academy are insane.

Make every CHL, USHL and most NCAA facilities (and a lot of NHL facilities) look a joke.

Already seeing results and will push youth levels higher too.

A lot of North American’s playing in the DEL too. Some of those guys might stay there & have kids. That can help a country when these guys stay after their career & establish roots at the grassroots level.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
A lot of North American’s playing in the DEL too. Some of those guys might stay there & have kids. That can help a country when these guys stay after their career & establish roots at the grassroots level.

I think as well because the league is 2nd tier in terms of Europe level wise... people underestimate just how popular the sport is in Germany. Especially in specific localities.

Some cities are also really hockey mad. Ofc, not the whole country... but some pretty big cities and some regions have a real hockey culture.

Berlin is one of the best hockey atmospheres I have ever been to. 12,000+ fans almost every game and ofc means a lot of kids in the region want to play hockey.

Cologne, Mannheim also average OVER 10,000 a game. Dusseldorf also get like 9k a game.

Which country in Europe has the most teams who are top 10 on continent in attendance?
Not Russia, not Sweden, not Finland... but Germany.

And in average attendance only NLA tops DEL year in, year out (KHL and DEL are really similar actually).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I've seen a teammate high-stick another teammate, but I've never seen a player high-stick himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad