Official 2022 IIHF World Championship Thread

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I've been hoping for a few months I could nab Kasper in my dynasty league at pick 17. Doubt it now after this tourney.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Yo thanks for beating us (CZ) in the shootout earlier today :laugh:

I didn't see that coming tbh.

Normally, Austria manage one upset early in the tournament, totally exhaust themselves running only 3 lines/two pairs just to break down completely afterwards. I guess they must have found some depth.

Reactions: kudymen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Dominik Simon (CZ) left the team and Finland yesterday. Nothing was known yesterday, citing "personal reasons".

Simon is a pending UFA, was warned by his agent whether he wants to play (risking injury etc.) - today it was revealed that after our loss to Austria he physically assaulted a teammate. Frustrating loss (AUT) but doing this as a pending UFA is the dumbest look

There are Czech sources, the following Tweet is just an EN report

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
In case anyone is interested, you may see Pastrňák playing with Krejčí again in 30 minutes - against Latvia. 3rd player on that line should be Roman Červenka

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
What the f***

We had a tough loss to Austria (!!!!!) 1:2 in the shootout 2 days ago so I am just going to guess that our coach (FIN Jalonen) wanted to change it up a little bit and get Michal Kempný some TOI instead. I guess as the game tonight goes on he (Jiříček) could get more TOI given how the score looks right now (5:0 after the 1st)

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Having a Hertl, Pastrňák, Krejčí, Červenka, Hronek PP unit at a IIHF WC is just unreal. Beautiful

Jiříček is a healthy scratch today

Reactions: TheKingPin

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Do you think it was a valid scratch?

Honestly feels like the coach is simply playing it safe. He cut Jiříček's toi in games that were physically tougher for us and now he just doesn't want to break a working defensive lineup imo. But I believe Jiříček could hold his own today too, were he playing

Given the next (and last) 2 games in the group will be against USA and FIN, I fear there won't be much more Jiříček at the tournament

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly feels like the coach is simply playing it safe. He cut Jiříček's toi in games that were physically tougher for us and now he just doesn't want to break a working defensive lineup imo. But I believe Jiříček could hold his own today too, were he playing

Given the next (and last) 2 games in the group will be against USA and FIN, I fear there won't be much more Jiříček at the tournament
Yea that’s too bad. I do understand putting team first if it’s a close call but would have liked to see what he can do with and against talent.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s wild to me the amount of higher end talent a smaller hockey country like Germany has produced recently. Draisaitl, Stutzle, & Seider are pretty much there already. We’ll see what Reichel & JJP can do still.

I’d be curious to see what their youth participation numbers do going forward with legitimate players like that who are some of the best in the NHL.

They were a main stay at the senior level when I was a kid with guys like Kolzig, Sturm, etc. but then they really faded. This is a more talented group than that era. But obviously the entire world not counting the big powers are getting better at hockey. Switzerland for example made huge strides over my lifetime.

Last edited:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The reffing against the lower ranked nations in this tournament is disgusting.

Britain are being absolutely shit on. 2-0 up and everything goes against them because they are beating a bigger nation.

f*** this tournament.

Probably the most beautiful hip check in the last 10 years of hockey by Johnny Phillips.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Czech fans have reportedly brought a Ukrainian flag to one of the previous games and it had been confiscated immediately. This is what they brought to the next game

FB_IMG_1653330263592.jpg

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
even after this speech? lol

Jonny Phillips. Good Welshman!

Well, its been a great 3 years. The goal against France in OT is the greatest sporting moment in my lifetime.

The refs completely f***ed us against Latvia, but thats what you get for being a minnow in a big pond I guess. Missing Richardson, our best D by far was huge too.

Super proud of the boys, they have done GB proud. Its an interesting note, that the WC pre covid, the lowest paid Canadian player was paid more than the entire GB team, physios, coaches and training staff put together. Puts it into context just how much of a gulf in class there is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad