Official 2017 NHL Draft Thread (Part III): FLYERS AWARDED THE SECOND PICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When the Flyers were picking around 13, a lot of people were hyping Pettersson as being someone special. Isn't that worth Schenn?

The mystery box isn't always worth more than a known quantity. Especially when the known quantity is our 2nd best goal scorer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would feel a lot better about the trade if I knew he was close to being NHL ready. Super skilled but he's so immature physically. How long do you have to wait for him? Tough for the Flyers to trade for futures considering where they are.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The mystery box isn't always worth more than a known quantity. Especially when the known quantity is our 2nd best goal scorer.

Plus, we are talking how we hope the#2 pick is a 60 point guy of more.

Well Schenn just has 55 and 59 the last 2 years. So will the#10 pick ever get that? And if so....when?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
After winning the #2 OA the plans/thought process should have/of shifted a lot. You're getting a player that is much closer to being ready and should be a top quality player.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There's little chance Schenn is traded in the next year at least, maybe two. Given our #2 pick potentially gifting us our deepest need, we can afford to be more patient/selective now with he and Simmer. As in we don't have to be coveting a center prospect.

But push will come to shove with Schenn and Simmonds. Neither are irreplaceable, and the entire point of assembling the deepest prospect pool in the league is to not overpay players past their prime and to get cheap young talent to replace players. Knowing Hextall, he'll likely just sign Simmonds. His intangibles are too important to him. Schenn though has always seemed to have his "sell by" date as soon as he signed that contract. Too much talent bubbling to keep both. Schenn for a 10th pick in an average draft doesn't seem like a great value move though. Just too much uncertainty there. That is not a "safe" move, and Hextall is safe.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

True but if you want to get someone special, you have to get them before they hit or you have very little chance after.

I was just curious because there were a lot of posters excited about his potential and the 10th pick will likely be available. Meltzer also mentioned him in his blog post today as one of the forwards the Flyers would be debating but likely passing on. As Magua has stated Schenn or Simmonds is likely a goner, probably in two seasons when Simmonds contract is up. So if he does have that type of potential, why not take the chance?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I doubt he'd do it anyway but even if he wanted to I don't think Hextall would get clearance by the higher up's to take bigger steps back at this point. Two playoff appearances in five years without ever advancing past the first round in those two appearances. That is going make higher up's impatient if it starts extending further especially in more so a gate revenue driven league like the NHL.

Like said above I think Hextall extends Simmonds but trades Schenn towards the end of his current deal which still has three more years on it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
True but if you want to get someone special, you have to get them before they hit or you have very little chance after.

I was just curious because there were a lot of posters excited about his potential and the 10th pick will likely be available. Meltzer also mentioned him in his blog post today as one of the forwards the Flyers would be debating but likely passing on. As Magua has stated Schenn or Simmonds is likely a goner, probably in two seasons when Simmonds contract is up. So if he does have that type of potential, why not take the chance?

I understand what you're saying, but I think winning the 2nd overall pick makes it so that we don't really need to take a risk like that anymore. We already have a really good center prospect on the way now, so we don't need to pray we get lucky anymore. If we were still at 13 then maybe it's more likely, but I still doubt it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It makes absolutely no sense to trade the only first rate shooter we have on a "maybe in a few years."
We're not in win now mode, but we certainly aren't interested in win someday either.

The only trade that makes sense is to trade one of our three RWs for a LW who is under 25 and already a 40+ point guy with 60 point potential, not some kid who'll probably need 2 more years in junior and 1 in the AHL until he fills out and grows up.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So the Flyers don't have enough goal scoring wingers, and some people want to trade the 25 year old winger who has had at least 25 goals and 55 points over the last two seasons? Yeah, that makes sense.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
wait...doesnt that still make it...1.Patrick 2.Mittelstadt 3.Hischer?

Yep, I should have given you a mor complete answer, sorry. He's been on the Mittlestadt train all year. It's been Patrick 1 and Mittlestadt 2 in every set of rankings he's put out until this one with the caveat of just wanting to see a clean bill of health on the groin. That's not how you make click bait -- he just loves the kid.

He's been clear that he's higher on Mittlestadt and Erik Brannstrom than the consensus and explained why. Let me see if I can find the specific Mittlestadt > Hischier part for you.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Found some of it. I know there's more I'm missing, but I need to crash. He still has Hischier 2 in his Mock for what it's worth.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
It makes absolutely no sense to trade the only first rate shooter we have on a "maybe in a few years."
We're not in win now mode, but we certainly aren't interested in win someday either.

The only trade that makes sense is to trade one of our three RWs for a LW who is under 25 and already a 40+ point guy with 60 point potential, not some kid who'll probably need 2 more years in junior and 1 in the AHL until he fills out and grows up.

I agree with holding our hand on Schenn but besides Konecny (whose potential as a shooter is still up in the air) the Flyers dont have single guy with a plus NHL shot on their forward roster currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad