Official 2017 NHL Draft Thread (Part III): FLYERS AWARDED THE SECOND PICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Post-draw conversation

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-first-pick-goes-to-new-jersey-devils/c-289159762

TORONTO -- The New Jersey Devils will have the No. 1 pick in the 2017 NHL Draft after winning the NHL Draft Lottery on Saturday.

The Philadelphia Flyers were awarded the No. 2 pick, and the Dallas Stars have the No. 3 selection. The Devils, who had an 8.5 percent chance of winning the lottery, will be picking No. 1 for the first time.

The Colorado Avalanche, which had the best odds to win the lottery, will pick No. 4, the Vancouver Canucks will pick No. 5, and the Vegas Golden Knights will pick No. 6.*
The Flyers moved up from No. 13; the Stars moved up from No. 8.

The NHL Draft will be held at United Center in Chicago on June 23 and 24.

The winner likely will use the pick to select center Nolan Patrick of Brandon in the Western Hockey League or center Nico Hischier of Halifax in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.*

---------------------------------

The Philadelphia Flyers have won the second overall pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft after the NHL Draft Lottery was held this evening in Toronto.

The Flyers held a 2.4 percent chance of receiving the second overall selection in the draft through the weighted lottery after finishing 19th among all NHL teams this season.

They jumped ahead of 11 other teams with the lottery win and will be "on the clock" after the New Jersey Devils selects first overall on June 23 at Chicago.

This is just the second time in franchise history that the Flyers will have the No. 2 overall pick, previously selecting James van Riemsdyk in the 2007 NHL Draft.

Additionally, the Flyers have only had six draft picks in their history that have been in the Top 5 of a draft, with four of those six selections prior to 1991:
  • 1967 - 5 (Serge Bernier)
  • 1975 - 1 (Mel Bridgman)
  • 1982 - 4 (Ron Sutter)
  • 1990 - 4 (Mike Ricci)
  • 2002 - 4 (Joni Pitkanen)
  • 2007 - 2 (James van Riemsdyk)

Last edited:

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
surely hextall will take his pick of hischier or patrick? cant see anything else happening, nor would i like to see anything else happen

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Like Magua said, all that thought into creating star charts about who could be there at 13 and whether moving up or down is out the window. Hilarious.

Is there a point in debating Hischier vs Patrick? We need something to talk about.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I'm happy that they moved from 13 to 2, but a little salty that this year isn't as great as many in the past. It really changes the off season plan.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad