GDT: Official 2017 #hcanes NCAA Football Thread

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
TIL WVU and VA Tech play for a Black Diamond, that the Hokies Twitter feed has been trolling the **** out of cause today was the first time since 2005 they played, so it's been in Blacksburg for like 4,800 days lol

Interesting thing is that some random fan does that account for both the Black Diamond Trophy (WVU) and the Commonwealth Cup (UVa). ESPN showed it was a verified account last night, but it most certainly isn't, so I'm not sure how that happened. Also interesting to note that despite us not playing WVU since 2005 (and getting the BDT with the 2004 win) that we've held the Commonwealth Cup for only a month or so less. And yes, we play UVa every year. 13 in a row, and 17 of the last 18 over the Hoos. Been a 1-sided rivalry for a very long time.

Couple of penalties, like the one on Dana, could have won that one.

You could say similar for VT as well. Missed 2 FGs that Slye rarely misses, and had 2 shots for a TD on our first scoring drive that resulted in a FG due to errant throws. We left 10 points out there, easily. But that's football for ya. We've been on the short end of that stick too many times to count, so its good to finally have one fall our way.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh for sure, though similarly I'd argue that WVU left points out there a few times since Molina is a pretty solid kicker most of the time.

Game was about as close as I was expecting it to be. Figured it would be a 1 score game either way with neither team breaking 40 unless something just spectacularly stupid happened. Special teams really ****ing killed us though, it feels like we haven't had a good punter since Pat McAfee was on the team. IMHO that Ausie guy Tech has easily could have been the player of the game with how dominant he was in the starting field position battle.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Interesting thing is that some random fan does that account for both the Black Diamond Trophy (WVU) and the Commonwealth Cup (UVa). ESPN showed it was a verified account last night, but it most certainly isn't, so I'm not sure how that happened. Also interesting to note that despite us not playing WVU since 2005 (and getting the BDT with the 2004 win) that we've held the Commonwealth Cup for only a month or so less. And yes, we play UVa every year. 13 in a row, and 17 of the last 18 over the Hoos. Been a 1-sided rivalry for a very long time.

The 50 point blowout last year was packed to the final horn with Hokie fans exulting in the Hoos embarrassment. I've never seen a crowd cheer that loud for a score to put them up by 4 dozen points lol.

Meanwhile it's great in basketball.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The 50 point blowout last year was packed to the final horn with Hokie fans exulting in the Hoos embarrassment. I've never seen a crowd cheer that loud for a score to put them up by 4 dozen points lol.

Meanwhile it's great in basketball.

That was the first game I've been able to make in Lane in a few years. That game just felt like the staff was sending a message to all recruits in the state about the caliber of play in the major programs in the state.

And Dave, I was very happy with our punting game last night. I'd heard good things about him in the Spring so it was good to see it replicated on the field. Don't think he allowed any return yards on the game, and you rarely see that anymore. On the flip side, I hope your punter is alright. Looked like he hurt his calf on his first kick and it was downhill from there. If he was hurt, I don't know why he was still taking snaps, especially at that position.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That was a good game, Tennessee/Georgia Tech.

Sorry though AD :(

Looks like the SEC is back to owning the ACC again.

Meh, its not like the results were overall unexpected. Only NCSU is really the one that can be argued was an upset. That said, there seems to be a gap in both divisions in the ACC between the top and bottom teams with Clemson, FSU, and to a lesser extent, UofL in the Atlantic, and Miami and VT in the Coastal. All of those teams, except for FSU, who lost in expected fashion to the team likely to run roughshod through everyone this year, took care of business this weekend. This weekend with the Clemson/Auburn matchup will show a better picture of how the two conferences align.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
i am still mad from saturday

good lord we had absolutely no business losing that game

I'm not. :D

After Week 1, ESPN's prognosticators (Kyle Bonagura and David Hale) have the following bowl projections (I'm only using teams listed in the OP)

UNC
Bonagura - Military Bowl (vs. Navy)
Hale - Not bowl eligible

NC State
Bonagura - Sun Bowl (vs. UCLA)
Hale - Pinstripe Bowl (vs. Maryland)

Wake Forest
Bonagura - Not bowl eligible
Hale - Independence Bowl (vs. South Carolina)

ECU
Bonagura - Not bowl eligible
Hale - Not bowl eligible

App State
Bonagura - Dollar General Bowl (vs. Western Michigan)
Hale - Dollar General Bowl (vs. Western Michigan)

South Carolina
Bonagura - Texas Bowl (vs. Texas)
Hale - Independence Bowl (vs. Wake Forest)

Florida
Bonagura - TaxSlayer Bowl (vs. Louisville)
Hale - TaxSlayer Bowl (vs. Miami)

West Virginia
Bonagura - Cactus Bowl (vs. Cal)
Hale - Alamo Bowl (vs. Oregon)

Georgia Tech
Bonagura - Belk Bowl (vs. Tennessee)
Hale - Belk Bowl (vs. Tennessee)

Virginia Tech
Bonagura - Camping World Bowl (vs. Kansas State)
Hale - Citrus Bowl (vs. Georgia)

Clemson
Bonagura - Rose Bowl (vs. Southern Cal)
Hale - Orange Bowl (vs. Michigan)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If indeed GT plays Tennessee in a bowl game they should feel confident. They ran through that defense like it was the banner coming out the locker room

Yup. Pretty much this.

My only concern with the offense this season after that game was our 5'10", 180lb QB running 40 times and having no idea how to avoid punishing hits. We will need to rely on the other two options a whole lot more; if we keep running like that Marshall will be in a bodybag come Week 4.

Tech's defense on the other hand was pretty yikes.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
i am still mad from saturday

good lord we had absolutely no business losing that game

davedoeren.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad