GDT: Official 2016 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
If Tkachuk keeps up his game I think he stays past the nine games. We are pretty weak on the left side even with Gaudreau back so he has a really good opportunity to keep his spot. I really thought Shinkaruk would look good on the top line though

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
A thought on Bollig being waived.

After the Gaudreau signing we are still over the cap until Smid is placed on LTIR and Pribyl can be demoted (or placed on LTIR).Sending Vey down would only leave 500k in space and no room for a waiver claim if someone comes along that they want today (ie. Parenteau makes 1.25), so an extra 925k by leaving Bollig off the roster until Smid is on LTIR could be huge.

Yeah that's how I interpreted it too. Putting Bollig on waivers wasn't so much to get rid of him, but to make space on the roster to clear up a log jam until things get ironed out.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we really are rolling with:
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Ferland-Monahan-Vey
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Bollig-Stajan-Chiasson

Giordano-Wideman
Brodie-Engelland
Jokipakka-Hamilton

Elliott

A slow start is very likely, unfortunately I have to agree. I'm not a big fan of spreading out the d pairings like they have been. Biggest hope is that top line catches fire, some uncharacteristic performances, or riding goaltending to a couple wins.

Regardless, I'm still excited for Wednesday, just hard to be optimistic at this point.

It's funny how switching Gaudreau and Vey can make it go from a complete eye sore to decent. If we get a Pulkinnen or someone similar I'll be even happier.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik

The 4th line is still a disaster but... Owell

I really liked the way Bouma played and if he stays healthy I think he's poised for a bounce back season. Our fanbase doesn't like him in general but if we get 2014/15 Booms back then that's a very effective 3rd liner IMO. Him and Backlund had great chemistry.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
It's funny how switching Gaudreau and Vey can make it go from a complete eye sore to decent. If we get a Pulkinnen or someone similar I'll be even happier.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik

The 4th line is still a disaster but... Owell

I really liked the way Bouma played and if he stays healthy I think he's poised for a bounce back season. Our fanbase doesn't like him in general but if we get 2014/15 Booms back then that's a very effective 3rd liner IMO. Him and Backlund had great chemistry.

No kidding. There's no question our offence goes through Gaudreau, and our top 3 defencemen. Tkachuk/Bennett/Brouwer should be able to create as well this year, but without Gaudreau we would struggle to score for sure. I'd still change up the d pairs, and I don't expect them to last long the way they have been at practice, but it looks much better now for sure.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Hey Flames fans I come in peace!

What do you think of Tkachuk? Is he worth a waiver pick up for my fantasy league? It's a deep league, 25 players and 20 teams. He's still available! Thanks for the help!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey Flames fans I come in peace!

What do you think of Tkachuk? Is he worth a waiver pick up for my fantasy league? It's a deep league, 25 players and 20 teams. He's still available! Thanks for the help!
for 25 players and 20 teams, yeah I think he will be worth it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bollig waived, Higgins released, Gaudreau signed, im going to sleep like a baby. All is right in the universe.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bollig waived, Higgins released, Gaudreau signed, im going to sleep like a baby. All is right in the universe.
The Flames are more than a million over the cap right now, they have to have guys to send down at least 2 people on Tuesday so they can recall them Wednesday when Smid goes on LTIR.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Flames are more than a million over the cap right now, they have to have guys to send down at least 2 people on Tuesday so they can recall them Wednesday when Smid goes on LTIR.

I thought we disproved that with what we learned from the Franzen and Dupuis situations.

Did Grossman get released and I missed it?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
No kidding. There's no question our offence goes through Gaudreau, and our top 3 defencemen. Tkachuk/Bennett/Brouwer should be able to create as well this year, but without Gaudreau we would struggle to score for sure. I'd still change up the d pairs, and I don't expect them to last long the way they have been at practice, but it looks much better now for sure.

I'd like to think Backlund and Frolik will be good offensively; Backs has always been a possession beast. Hoping Bouma returns to form.

Agreed, if we make the playoffs we really need a 4th line to go deep.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought we disproved that with what we learned from the Franzen and Dupuis situations.

Did Grossman get released and I missed it?
The Flames have 2 options.

1. Place Smid on LTIR today, keep up Bollig, Vey & Kulak and they will be able to exceed the cap by $1,041,334 for the entire season as it would be deemed that Smid has been replaced.

2. Demote 2 or 3 of Vey, Bollig and Kulak, place Smid on LTIR tomorrow and be able to exceed the cap by the full amount of his cap hit all season.

Since option 2 is possible, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

1. Place Smid on LTIR today, keep up Bollig, Vey & Kulak and they will be able to exceed the cap by $1,041,334 for the entire season as it would be deemed that Smid has been replaced.

2. Demote 2 or 3 of Vey, Bollig and Kulak, place Smid on LTIR tomorrow and be able to exceed the cap by the full amount of his cap hit all season.

Gotcha.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

While I don't have much faith in the geniuses on Fan960 morning show, they interviewed Treliving and apparently it's not that straightforward. Of course, they had no idea why, and couldn't understand it, but that was the gist.

Pribyl is also still with the club, and may be counting against the cap.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
While I don't have much faith in the geniuses on Fan960 morning show, they interviewed Treliving and apparently it's not that straightforward. Of course, they had no idea why, and couldn't understand it, but that was the gist.
Well it's never that straightforward, but I do think Treliving would rather move Smid's contract so any available cap space can accumulate for a potential deadline deal.

And Pribyl is counting against the cap. He is 925k of the reason we are over the cap by over a million at the moment.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hopefully it's more a sign that we just have that good a leadership group than people getting snubbed.

I believe so. I prefer having just three guys named instead of the captain and four alternating alternates thing to make sure everyone gets a participation medal. It doesn't mean Backlund, Brodie or anyone else isn't a leader, it's just that Monahan and Brouwer are best suited for that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad