Official 2015 U20 World Junior Championship Thread (part 2)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Couple more notes-- Crouse was pretty impressive throughout the tournament. I was expecting less. He'll make a strong complementary piece for an NHL team, imo. Though, I don't think I'm comfortable using a top 10-15 pick on him if I were picking in that range.

And also, this tournament reminds me how incredible a broadcaster Gord Miller is. He's so natural in the booth. Never any hiccups or pauses or moments of confusion. Really smooth. Wish NBC could steal him as their #1. And Ferraro is awesome, too. He's blunt and accurate, and he picks up on lots of ice-level stuff that most between-the-glass guys don't. Too many crews have a guy between benches just talking like a color commentator, but Ferraro actually adds value to the production in that role, and he's a pretty astute hockey mind, too.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Interesting Gold game. The best team in the tournament won, much to the dismay of a few posters around here who would seemingly rather see Canada lose than their own country win. Just makes it extra sweet for the fans but that's old news.

Nothing to worry about with Morin. He performed well in his role with only a few gaffs. He was definitely not used to push or preserve the pace of the game but at ES he was deployed almost solely when the ice was tipped against us-he's a beast when pinned in your zone. Would have been nice to see him used more but despite being reliable in his own end proved to be completely ineffective offensively, imho he was just too predictable with the puck and his size/non-hands. He didn't get much ice to show his offensive game but he was unable to even give a glimpse. He's got a ways to go but he'll get there.

Sanheim should have a great role to watch him in next year.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Nurse was an absolute animal down low for Canada in the 3rd. Quick feet and really pivots well around forwards along the wall. Gets low and achieves really dominant position. Came away very impressed with him and Canada's forward group. Full marks to Russia, would've been an easy game to mail in.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, outside of Petan, I think Virtanen was the best forward out there. But yeah, Morin really should have been used more. And since I guess it was a tourney, using his snarl and physicality would lead to only more and easier called penalties.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Honestly, outside of Petan, I think Virtanen was the best forward out there. But yeah, Morin really should have been used more. And since I guess it was a tourney, using his snarl and physicality would lead to only more and easier called penalties.

Gotta disagree with you there. I thought Domi was the best player in the tournament, and Reinhart was right up there.

Virtanen played his role well, but Canada's first line was a dominant force and the driving factor for their success.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Morin needs about 20-25 lbs more that picture. Good God.

see him listed as 225 on elite prospects, if thats true how big is he gonna be when he fills out? he needs at least 25+ looking at the stringbean in that picture. do these junior teams even have strength and conditioning coaches?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He lost weight due to the injury, so he may be below the 225 pounds he weighed at camp.

What did you guys think of de la Rose? Did he have a better tournament than Hagg?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well he was on a liquid diet. He claimed to be back at his playing weight, but who knows. And if he put the weight back on that fast, that probably wasn't ideal either. I'm not a nutritionist, but that could be a reason his skating legs appeared to be up and down. He was flying his first two games back from the broken jaw, and was pretty inconsistent after that.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
see him listed as 225 on elite prospects, if thats true how big is he gonna be when he fills out? he needs at least 25+ looking at the stringbean in that picture. do these junior teams even have strength and conditioning coaches?

no which is why im not opposed to the college route where players get professional strength and conditioning .

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He lost weight due to the injury, so he may be below the 225 pounds he weighed at camp.

What did you guys think of de la Rose? Did he have a better tournament than Hagg?

JDR was pretty invisible. I expected a lot more. Hagg was pretty terrible the first game and a half. After that he settled in and played pretty well.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Was watching old WJC vids, and came across a pretty funny exchange from 2008 at 2:15 involving three current Flyers:

Giroux and Simmonds with kisses and Mason with a temperament I've never seen from him before. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
While Reinhart was good in his role it still showed he's only going to be good as the guys next to him. I find that disappointing for a 2nd overall pick. We see people complain about the value we got in Couturier at 8th overall but I think Reinhart's going to be a similar player.

Buffalo's really going to have to surround him with talent to get the absolute most out of him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
While Reinhart was good in his role it still showed he's only going to be good as the guys next to him. I find that disappointing for a 2nd overall pick. We see people complain about the value we got in Couturier at 8th overall but I think Reinhart's going to be a similar player.

Buffalo's really going to have to surround him with talent to get the absolute most out of him.

Reinhart acquitted himself very well in a very high speed game vs, Russia.

I don't see him as a big goal scorer in the NHL, but I think his playmaking will hold up pretty well.

Maybe an Andrew Cassels type, if you remember him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Reinhart acquitted himself very well in a very high speed game vs, Russia.

I don't see him as a big goal scorer in the NHL, but I think his playmaking will hold up pretty well.

Maybe an Andrew Cassels type, if you remember him.

I don't see him being a big point producer. He's pretty similar to Couturier for me, smart player who will add more value to the defensive side but not really that toolsy.

I would want more out of a second overall pick personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad