Official 2015 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i said i liked my russians and swedes so I'm gonna add my second kid to my 2015 draft list. again, taking into consideration where we will be drafting and our lack of 1ST ROUNDER, I'm looking at late early 2nd (russian factor !) for the russian wizkid guryanov and now this kid with a 3rd or 4th rounder. we have to look for bargains and sleepers. i think this kid fits that bill.

sebastian aho. seabass.

images

ok, he's small. like really small. say 5'10 170 that kinda small. but before you tear me apart, listen, this kids a player. he's a lion and a competitor and has high end skills. great hands. skates like a pro already. he's a fierce competitor and smart. very smart. he's worn a letter in international play- captain ed he swedish u18's in 14 and is a high character type player. natural leader. played for SKELLEFTEÃ… in the shl.

this kid has a very high complete level, offensively gifted puck mover with great vision and high end hands. he's small but he competes and plays a physical game. as a 3rd or 4th round pick, he's a steal and a kid to certainly consider. high end offensive talent in a small package. small men can play this game. we cannot be afraid of a puck moving, swift skating dman who can play the pp and push the puck. think marek zidlicky.

central scouting has him 13th ranked euro skater.
iss and mckeens has him in the top 40

if he's there in 3 or 4, i take him without hesitation. he's got that kinda upside.

ODC, I really respect your opinion on the draft. At 5'10 that's a bit on the small side. I like where the thought is though. Skill and players with high hockey IQ are the way to go.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Aho has Enstrom like potential. He could be one of the top 5 best defenseman to come out of this draft. He's an absolute steal in the 3rd round.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
What do you think the thought process is here? For him to replace Mcilrath in Hartford if Mcilrath comes up next season....or would they be hoping for this kid to step ahead of Mcilrath?

like Zamorsky, this kid has played 3 years vs men in top tier europe leagues
McIlrath has 3 years in AHL,
they are all '92's
let's see who earns it

if Noreau and Donnay are long-shot projects and Kostka is gone,
this is great righty depth added to Hughes
parallels adding Skjei and Graves to Allen, Summers, Bodie

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
All the PMD's available in the late 2nd suck defensively but can move the puck. Andersson is a nightmare in his own end.

But, they need skill and youth back there. I'd gamble on a PMD in the 3rd but not with the 2nd. Too many skill forwards will be there, and there's a drop off after the mid-3rd round where you run into a lot of 3rd line types.

And they can't trade Talbot. They aren't getting a 1st for him.

After seeing what I saw in the CF, and Lundqvist turning 34 in March, they need to ensure next year in a Cup Contending season. And injury to Lundqvist and no Talbot pretty much kills the season, unless you think Skapski is anything special.

I would trade Klein and Hagelin before trading Talbot.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
All the PMD's available in the late 2nd suck defensively but can move the puck. Andersson is a nightmare in his own end.

But, they need skill and youth back there. I'd gamble on a PMD in the 3rd but not with the 2nd. Too many skill forwards will be there, and there's a drop off after the mid-3rd round where you run into a lot of 3rd line types.

And they can't trade Talbot. They aren't getting a 1st for him.

After seeing what I saw in the CF, and Lundqvist turning 34 in March, they need to ensure next year in a Cup Contending season. And injury to Lundqvist and no Talbot pretty much kills the season, unless you think Skapski is anything special.

I would trade Klein and Hagelin before trading Talbot.

I don't think we should settle for losing Talbot for nothing next summer, just because we want insurance in case Lundqvist gets hurt next season. Even if that happened, there's no guarantee Talbot will be good for 60+ games, or good in the playoffs where he has played less than 3 periods total. There has to be a cheap, quality vet out there that we can sign.

Edmonton prob gives us their high second for Talbot, but I wonder if they would give us their low first and a prospect for Talbot and Klein? I'm comfortable with Hunwick stepping in full time or seeing what one of the young guys can do.

This is just too deep a draft to not trade up for a first rounder.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I don't think we should settle for losing Talbot for nothing next summer, just because we want insurance in case Lundqvist gets hurt next season. Even if that happened, there's no guarantee Talbot will be good for 60+ games, or good in the playoffs where he has played less than 3 periods total. There has to be a cheap, quality vet out there that we can sign.

Edmonton prob gives us their high second for Talbot, but I wonder if they would give us their low first and a prospect for Talbot and Klein? I'm comfortable with Hunwick stepping in full time or seeing what one of the young guys can do.

This is just too deep a draft to not trade up for a first rounder.

So who's the backup next season?

The UFA pool blows. Halverson and Shestyorkin are years away. Skapski is hurt.

Lundqvist can't play more than 60 games. He can, it's just not smart.

They can move Talbot at the deadline next year for a 2nd or 3rd when teams are far more desperate than on June 27th.

Keep Talbot. Go for the Cup.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

They can move Talbot at the deadline next year for a 2nd or 3rd when teams are far more desperate than on June 27th.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, the Rangers over the past 10 years have a history of making their backups look, at worst - passable, at best - pretty darn good.

Something tells me they'd find a backup who is, at the very least, passable.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I wouldn't say Thomas Griess and Michal Neuvirth are terrible options, but that's pretty much it.

I agree with trading Talbot at the highest and not to lose hindsight of what they have in him as a backup to Lundqvist. Do not trade him just for the sake of a trade.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
What do you think the thought process is here? For him to replace Mcilrath in Hartford if Mcilrath comes up next season....or would they be hoping for this kid to step ahead of Mcilrath?

like Zamorsky, this kid has played 3 years vs men in top tier europe leagues
McIlrath has 3 years in AHL,
they are all '92's
let's see who earns it

if Noreau and Donnay are long-shot projects and Kostka is gone,
this is great righty depth added to Hughes
parallels adding Skjei and Graves to Allen, Summers, Bodie

I agree with what cwede pointed out. That could be a plausible case, however, I honestly think that the thought process is based on the money. Pretty sure Mozik believes he can play in the NHL, seeing that he's played pro over in the Czech league for a decent amount of time. Could also be family that he doesn't want to leave. There are multiple assumptions.

On a player aspect, I think he has the same chance of making the Rangers as much as McIlrath, Allen, Zamorsky, and Hughes do. They all got to battle hard for a position.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't say Thomas Griess and Michal Neuvirth are terrible options, but that's pretty much it.

I agree with trading Talbot at the highest and not to lose hindsight of what they have in him as a backup to Lundqvist. Do not trade him just for the sake of a trade.

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why I feel Talbot may be worth more to the Rangers than anyone else.

I also think that's why they keep him if they don't get a deal they like.

I'm not so much concerned about getting a first rounder, so much as getting the team in a position to get the guy they want. Whether that is 20th or 33rd doesn't mean much to me.

Cam Talbot is going to have bias against him based on two factors - he doesn't have the pedigree some teams look for, and he came out of nowhere for a lot of teams. There's also concern that the Rangers system enhances goaltending statistics.

I'm just not sure there's an appetite out there for acquiring Talbot at the cost of a first rounder, especially in this draft.

Again, the best for Talbot might just be the Rangers.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
i said i liked my russians and swedes so I'm gonna add my second kid to my 2015 draft list. again, taking into consideration where we will be drafting and our lack of 1ST ROUNDER, I'm looking at early 2nd (russian factor !) for the russian wizkid guryanov and now this kid with a 3rd or 4th rounder. we have to look for bargains and sleepers. i think this kid fits that bill.

sebastian aho. seabass.

images

ok, he's small. like really small. say 5'10 170 that kinda small. but before you tear me apart, listen, this kids a player. he's a lion and a competitor and has high end skills. great hands. skates like a pro already. he's a fierce competitor and smart. very smart. he's worn a letter in international play- captain ed he swedish u18's in 14 and is a high character type player. natural leader. played for SKELLEFTEÃ… in the shl.

this kid has a very high complete level, offensively gifted puck mover with great vision and high end hands. he's small but he competes and plays a physical game. as a 3rd or 4th round pick, he's a steal and a kid to certainly consider. high end offensive talent in a small package. small men can play this game. we cannot be afraid of a puck moving, swift skating dman who can play the pp and push the puck. think marek zidlicky.

if he's there in 3 or 4, i take him without hesitation. he's got that kinda upside.

ODC, I agree with the basis, but I honestly think he's going to go undrafted again this year. I have really no explanation as to why rather than he just has lack luster size. Went undrafted last year for whatever reason, but I think for that said reason is why he goes undrafted again. He's a Rapheal Diaz at best. With this said, he still has breakout potential. I wouldn't go as far as an Enstrom comparison (not trying to bash your assumption IEatCrow, because I like the opinion), but he could be a serviceable puck moving defender on the 3rd pairing one day. Final verdict, I would surely use a 7th on the guy.

Oh and by the way, he's 5'8"/178lbs. ;)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I have a thesis as to why Aho didn't get selected last year. Do any of you other posters recall the name Lawrence Pilut? Well if you haven't, he, too, was a smaller puck moving defender from Sweden that was eligible to be drafted last year. He's probably the same height and weight (just checked it and he's 5'9"/179lbs.) Almost exactly similar, and both have the same exact style of play in the SHL. Both lefty shots, as well. What makes Aho so special when this guy is available for the exact same production?

Just trying to solidify my case that both these players would go undrafted again this year. Would surely use a 7th on Pilut, as well.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think you hit the nail on the head as to why I feel Talbot may be worth more to the Rangers than anyone else.

I also think that's why they keep him if they don't get a deal they like.

I'm not so much concerned about getting a first rounder, so much as getting the team in a position to get the guy they want. Whether that is 20th or 33rd doesn't mean much to me.

Cam Talbot is going to have bias against him based on two factors - he doesn't have the pedigree some teams look for, and he came out of nowhere for a lot of teams. There's also concern that the Rangers system enhances goaltending statistics.

I'm just not sure there's an appetite out there for acquiring Talbot at the cost of a first rounder, especially in this draft.

Again, the best for Talbot might just be the Rangers.

Couldn't agree more :)

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY

As someone above mentioned, the Rangers typically have gotten great value from seasoned backups, i.e. Biron, Vally, etc. Would a guy like Neuvirth post a .928 SP% in 20 games? Doubtful. But if he can give us league average stats or above like Biron did, that's fine. We don't need a guy to help us win the President's Trophy like Talbot did, just an adequate fill-in to give Hank rest.

The thing about Skapski's injury is, I don't think it changed our situation much. There was no guarantee that he would step up and provide an impact. Two games against Buffalo don't mean a whole lot.

Also, Talbot is a UFA next year, so we either trade him now or lose him, because at his age he isn't going to wait more than another season to be a starter. I just don't believe that a backup goalie is such an important position that you can risk losing one with trade value for nothing in free agency. In the grand scheme of things, we don't really need him. Finding a good backup has never been an issue for us. And if Hank does get seriously injured, we're screwed any way you slice it, because nobody brings the playoff experience and value that he does.

If a Talbot trade, packaged with Klein or someone else, can get us a potential stud in this draft, I think that's a wise decision in a cap league.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

if they dont find better, Desjardins

there are always too many goalies for the spots these days
like BUF UFA Matt Hackett ( Lindback is also leaving BUF)

then get help for HWP
maybe trade Summers to Avs, loaded with G's, for 22-yr old RFA Sami Aittokallio who needs a change, and give Benny time with him

and/or add a new 2015 NCAA UDFA (new version of Jeff Malcom) to a AHL deal

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ODC, I agree with the basis, but I honestly think he's going to go undrafted again this year. I have really no explanation as to why rather than he just has lack luster size. Went undrafted last year for whatever reason, but I think for that said reason is why he goes undrafted again. He's a Rapheal Diaz at best. With this said, he still has breakout potential. I wouldn't go as far as an Enstrom comparison (not trying to bash your assumption IEatCrow, because I like the opinion), but he could be a serviceable puck moving defender on the 3rd pairing one day. Final verdict, I would surely use a 7th on the guy.

Oh and by the way, he's 5'8"/178lbs. ;)

he will definitely get drafted. no doubt. in fact, he's gonna be a very good player in the "new nhl" built around speed and flow. there is a spot in the new nhl for that small, skating, offensive dman who primarily plays up ice. i see him as having a spot and i also see him as fitting a niche that seems to be developing. smallish players not only can play but succeed and carve out nice careers.

hello paging mr zuccarello ????

i disagree that he's raph diaz at best. I've seen plenty of raphael diaz and hes an ahl dman/fringe nhler. this kid has way more tools than diaz. if you watch him play thats evident immediately.

when i watched this kid i saw an offensive puck pusher. he's productive as well with a nice shot and soft hands. he's a great passer and plays the pp qb role. likes the puck. his skating is top notch and he's got a heart like zuke. he's got natural leadership qualities and shows high puck confidence.

i say he's a big time boom prospect anytime from round 5 on. if he were 6 ft tall and 200, he would likely be a first round/ early second kid. you take chances on kids with this kind of intuitive hockey iq and motor. in round 5, he's a steal. period.

and he's exactly what this organization needs to develop. a dynamic blue liner who can push pucks and play with pace and speed. he will make the pp point look easy with his fluid hands and feet.

and for the record, he's way taller than 5'8. he's really 5'9 :laugh:

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
What do you think about this picks?

2nd (#59): A Defencemen. One of Jacob Larsson/Nicolas Meloche/Travis Dermott/Noah Juulsen (love what I've read from all of them, help me select? :) who's the most reasonable also in this position?).
3rd (#89): Robin Kovacs
4th (#119): Dante Salituro
6th (#179): Brad Morrison
7th (#209): ??? (hard to say who would still be available here).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Skapski had an injury in the middle of the year and another at the end of the year and he sat a bunch of games as backup for Talbot. He played 28 AHL games and 2 NHL games. He's not a guy that's ready to be an NHL backup yet. Just not enough experience. He needs games--he's too raw and too young just to sit.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
i said i liked my russians and swedes so I'm gonna add my second kid to my 2015 draft list. again, taking into consideration where we will be drafting and our lack of 1ST ROUNDER, I'm looking at early 2nd (russian factor !) for the russian wizkid guryanov and now this kid with a 3rd or 4th rounder. we have to look for bargains and sleepers. i think this kid fits that bill.

sebastian aho. seabass.

images

Very interesting player. Sounds like the Rangers mid round pick from central casting.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/un-problème-d-attitude-1.2438491

Oh boy! Sprong already getting on the **** list. Might be dropped from the 1st round!! :amazed:

"It's his environment (his family) that hurts him and his personal attitude. He puts himself higher than his own team." "His body language on the ice leaves a lot to desire. He sometimes will want to do everything by himself and it's impossible in hockey nowadays. Even Stamkos and Gretzky used their teammates and Daniel doesn't seem to get that. He's stubborn and it's a shame."

^ This came from the Kings "No Draft" List.

Wow! I'm shocked, he's really good too! :shakehead

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
he will definitely get drafted. no doubt. in fact, he's gonna be a very good player in the "new nhl" built around speed and flow. there is a spot in the new nhl for that small, skating, offensive dman who primarily plays up ice. i see him as having a spot and i also see him as fitting a niche that seems to be developing. smallish players not only can play but succeed and carve out nice careers.

hello paging mr zuccarello ????

i disagree that he's raph diaz at best. I've seen plenty of raphael diaz and hes an ahl dman/fringe nhler. this kid has way more tools than diaz. if you watch him play thats evident immediately.

when i watched this kid i saw an offensive puck pusher. he's productive as well with a nice shot and soft hands. he's a great passer and plays the pp qb role. likes the puck. his skating is top notch and he's got a heart like zuke. he's got natural leadership qualities and shows high puck confidence.

i say he's a big time boom prospect anytime from round 5 on. if he were 6 ft tall and 200, he would likely be a first round/ early second kid. you take chances on kids with this kind of intuitive hockey iq and motor. in round 5, he's a steal. period.

and he's exactly what this organization needs to develop. a dynamic blue liner who can push pucks and play with pace and speed. he will make the pp point look easy with his fluid hands and feet.

and for the record, he's way taller than 5'8. he's really 5'9 :laugh:

I agree with you in that he has the upmost potential to boom, but with the way this draft is on forward prospects and defensive defenders, I think he and Pilut would be available in the 7th, which is where I would take the kid. If he were taller, like you said, then for sure would be taken earlier than that. But smaller players up front have been the common thing nowadays, not on the backend.

I like the kid and think he would succeed if given the chance, but I would use the earlier picks to grab some bigger guys that would score and play. Give him the chance in the 7th round. A steal in the 5th? Eh, maybe.

And I'll go the happy medium where he's 5'9" :laugh:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
What do you think about this picks?

2nd (#59): A Defencemen. One of Jacob Larsson/Nicolas Meloche/Travis Dermott/Noah Juulsen (love what I've read from all of them, help me select? :) who's the most reasonable also in this position?).
3rd (#89): Robin Kovacs
4th (#119): Dante Salituro
6th (#179): Brad Morrison
7th (#209): ??? (hard to say who would still be available here).

Larsson, Meloche, Dermott, and Juulsen are all gone by then. On defence at #59, maybe Jepser Lindgren or Gustav Bouramman. But, IMO, I would take Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson or Robin Kovacs with the 2nd rounder.

At #89, I would hope to god that Timashov is still on board!! I really want this dude to be a Ranger prospect. He's just so fun to watch playing hockey. If not, then Cooper Marody or Jesse Gabrielle.

At #119, could be a toss up on what they end up doing with the other picks. I would think BPA, here. Maybe big defender Chris Martenet (6'6"/200lbs.) or centerman Colt Conrad. Would maybe take a Euro player here like Saarela, Malgin, or Stenlund. Could also see a goalie get taken if there is a good one still on the board.

At #179, I like a grinding type in Spencer Smallman here, but also think defenders Nick Boka or Grant Gabriele will drop in this spot. Wouldn't mind either.

At #209, BPA plain and simple. Bring home another star in that they were passed up by so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad