OT: Official 2013 Patriots/NFL Thread **mod warning post 200***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
All about "value". If bill trades a 2nd for a 3rd and a 4th, some people will eat it up.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Are you asking for the odds of it happening or the over/under on the number of times it happens.

Odds - 1:1 - I think it's a given they'll do it at least once.

Over/Under - 1.5 - I'll take the over

I'd be shocked if they didn't and I think it will be multiple times...:laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The money doesn't matter to me or most fans though. I don't care that second rounders cost less and that their value is higher because of that. I want game breaking talent, and the odds of finding that later in the draft are lower than if they traded up instead of down. :laugh:

I'm with ya.

Still wish they'd have pulled the trigger on the Peppers trade.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Been sick of all the trading down for awhile. True we have gotten some good players in the value picks over the last few years but we have also missed out on some.

IMO our only holes are in DB, DL, WR. Could also use some OL help

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
i'd love to have the dataset on that study to answer some questions i have:

- what's the merit function for "effectiveness"
- are they treating pick #33 the same as #64
- what's the average and standard deviation in effectiveness as a function of draft number
- the league is capped so you can only have so many dollars spent; you can also only have so many guys on the field, so how are they doing the merit function that takes into account two 2nd round guys at 70% of the effectiveness versus one 1st round guy at 100%
- why am i spending my time at work when it seems like if one demonstrates an undergrad-level understanding of statistics, they are better positioned than half of the damn gms in sports

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
i'd love to have the dataset on that study to answer some questions i have:

- what's the merit function for "effectiveness"
- are they treating pick #33 the same as #64
- what's the average and standard deviation in effectiveness as a function of draft number
- the league is capped so you can only have so many dollars spent; you can also only have so many guys on the field, so how are they doing the merit function that takes into account two 2nd round guys at 70% of the effectiveness versus one 1st round guy at 100%
- why am i spending my time at work when it seems like if one demonstrates an undergrad-level understanding of statistics, they are better positioned than half of the damn gms in sports

You'd figure the concept that a quarter is worth more than two dimes is relatively easy to grasp, but apparently not. :laugh:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You'd figure the concept that a quarter is worth more than two dimes is relatively easy to grasp, but apparently not. :laugh:

It is, but some would argue that last night they turned a quarter into three dimes.

I can understand the logic in them hedging their bets a bit and figuring that they can potentially plug two holes rather than just one. Another way of looking at it is that you get more bites at the apple with this method so there's a greater chance that one of the picks will work out, rather than striking out on a first rounder.

Again, part of it is just BB apologists rationalizing and selling themselves on the fact that if he chooses this method, it must be right because "he's a genius".

Mountain

Mar 16, 2011
Quincy, MA
I want Johnathan Banks and either justin Hunter or Robert Woods, whoever is still on the board at their pick.

I'm really hoping Bill picks CB and WR during the 2nd.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm glad I didn't watch. It must be frustrating to wait three hours only to have your team trade out at the last minute.

I flicked between it and the Bruins game last night, during commercial breaks and intermission.

The amount of time it takes to make one pick, have the commissioner say it, and have the kid walk out to the stage is excruciatingly slow. I'm glad I didn't stay up any longer. :laugh:

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
With their two picks in this round I want to see them go with Robert Woods at WR, and Bacarri Rambo S, Georgia or the Honey Badger (basically a playmaker in the secondary). Although John Jenkins out of Georgia could be an ideal successor for Wilfork coming in at 6' 3" 350lbs.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Shortening time in between picks is the greatest thing to ever happen to the draft...can't believe they didn't do this years ago

Guest celebrity pickers is an equally terrible idea...can't understand some of these dudes

So miss state had two corners taken in top 40 picks? Dang...

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Also, I am thrilled the jets took a qb. Immediate controversy and I don't believe in geno to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad