OFFICIAL: 2012 Free Agent Results Thread

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Can a team with $12M in bank afford to run a $55M payroll though? I lost $6-8M last year running a $45-47M payroll.

A team that won't make the playoffs? No. Because I had almost 15.36 to start last year and we all know how that worked out :)

I spent 55.77 last year on pro + minor league salaries. And finished with -3 million in the bank. Thats despite trading for 3.25 million in cash as well.

Any team that has less than 23 million in the bank is at risk of bankruptcy in a single season unless they have a payroll less than 40 million and/or they achieve a whole schwack of endorsement dollars.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
A team that won't make the playoffs? No. Because I had almost 15.36 to start last year and we all know how that worked out :)

I spent 55.77 last year on pro + minor league salaries. And finished with -3 million in the bank. Thats despite trading for 3.25 million in cash as well.

Any team that has less than 23 million in the bank is at risk of bankruptcy in a single season unless they have a payroll less than 40 million and/or they achieve a whole schwack of endorsement dollars.

Scary. :help:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
that is indeed ... Something is wrong

It's also nothing new though. We've known how the finances have worked since the switch to the current SIM. Unless you go deep in the playoffs and/or do very well in endorsements you simply can't spend close to the cap.

I've saved up $30M in the bank and I'm still taking a massive risk with the signings I made this year, pushing my salary up to $52M. If I had $10-15M in the bank I wouldn't be signing anybody. Even if I get lucky and fight for a playoff spot I'm still expecting to be near broke towards the end of the season.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
i concur with Matthew ... i was pretty much left for dead and only because i picked up like 6m in trades did i avoid bankruptcy.

Pasi, you were reckless in your UFA strategies, be prepared for the consequences.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Brunner accepted only one year contract? I offered four years worth of more than 8mil...

Yes. Fixed.

Note that by rule any offers 20% above the others will be accepted. I did miss that SJS offer was within 20% so there should be additional bids.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
It's also nothing new though. We've known how the finances have worked since the switch to the current SIM. Unless you go deep in the playoffs and/or do very well in endorsements you simply can't spend close to the cap.

This. Don't forget that Dion Phaneuf and Niklas Backstrom are on the market as the Flames want to move their 12 million salary. Though you should all start saving for when Pavel Datsyuk becomes available during the All Star break :D The Flames want to run a sub 40 million payroll this season.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
This. Don't forget that Dion Phaneuf and Niklas Backstrom are on the market as the Flames want to move their 12 million salary. Though you should all start saving for when Pavel Datsyuk becomes available during the All Star break :D The Flames want to run a sub 40 million payroll this season.

Just because we knew about it doesn't make it right! It's a shame to see you having to trade away he faces of your franchise.

The NHL cap floor this year is $54M I believe...our league would implode if we had a floor, no non-playoff team can sustain that kind of payroll.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Free Agents updated.

I believe the UDFA is complete minus some outstanding inquiries with GM's who have options to sign players ranked lower on their lists.

All UFA signings are now signed. Any missing players will be added to 2nd bids, did not receive high enough offers or are listed lower on rankings lists and are behind players who are going to 2nd bids.

I still need to sort through the second bids process.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Some UDFA mistakes:

Beau Schmitz
Mitchell Heard
Jordan Martinook
Darren Kramer
Ben Blood

All of these guys, if not more, can clearly be found on either the Roster or Prospect list.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
nice package .. Doan, souray, tanguay, frolik, samson, pyett, gionta. From 35mil closer to 55mil in salaries. Brunner accepted only one year contract? I offered four years worth of more than 8mil ..

Yikes. Hopefully you do get off to a fast start with you're bank account. Winning all those players says two things:
(i) You offered 20% more than anyone else for those players (Zac thought I was crazy offering $4.25 for Tanguay).
(ii) Barring a good winning percentage some of these guys are going to show up on San Jose Trade Block posts before the All-Star break.
The scary part is that some GM will likely agree to take the bloated contract plus send you cash and other assets :shakehead

BTW: yes I am frustrated being shutout so far on the FA signings with these crazy contracts ... soon to be followed by the inevitable league financial crisis threads b/c teams are on pace to go bankrupt.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Michael Frolik (STL) 1,900,000 x 4 SJS - Compensation is a 2nd Round pick in 2013.

The St. Louis Blues choose to match this offer, thereby commiting themselves to keeping Mr. Frolik on the team for the duration of the season, with the exception of trading him to San Jose. Despite his struggles in Chicago, he has scored 20 goals 3 times and is only 24. Hopefully the Hawks move him to a lottery team where he can get ample PP time.

I was tempted to take the 2nd, but with all of the additions to San Jose in free agency, they could be quite good and the pick might be a late 2nd. Of course, whether they can finish the season without going bankrupt is another question, but that likely won't help the position of the pick much. (just kidding Pasi! Sort of...:D)

Beau Schmitz - property of existing HFNHL teams (Sinner = STL)

Sorry about that. Must have messed up the spelling when I did a roster and prospect search on the site.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Paul Ladue - has not signed a pro contract but has committed to NCAA. (Sinner = DET) http://www.lincolnstarsblog.com/2011/11/congrats-to-paul-ladue.html

Uhmm actually I did do my research. He is only a verbal and not for over a full year yet (it's for the 2013/14 season not 2012/13). There was more than enough indication that he was not truly committed (i.e. hoping for a contract) - I doubt he does go the college route.
Believe me there were many commits I intentionally omitted b/c they were committed for 2012/13.

Please add him back.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Uhmm actually I did do my research. He is only a verbal and not for over a full year yet (it's for the 2013/14 season not 2012/13). There was more than enough indication that he was not truly committed (i.e. hoping for a contract) - I doubt he does go the college route.
Believe me there were many commits I intentionally omitted b/c they were committed for 2012/13.

Please add him back.

He has not signed a pro contract. He is also not a CHL'er so he still has NCAA eligibility. He cannot be signed. If he does sign a pro deal you can make an offer to the agents.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Just a few things from the Panthers end.

1. The Panthers should be included in the Austin Smith lottery. Offered him the max.

2. I offered Cody Sol the max (900k). He's not listed as a UDFA signing or as a lottery. Would I be signing him then? He was a first priority.

3. The UDFA guy should be Alexander Mallet, not Andrew (just so no one gets confused!).

4. Question regarding some of the guys who haven't signed yet. I had offers in to players like John Mitchell (who I believe is a UFA correct)? and to Arron Asham. Neither has signed yet. Mitchell was my 2nd priority behind Steckel (who did sign), while Asham was 4th on that same list (behind Lombardi who I'm still in the running for). Is that sort of stuff still being sorted out, or was Mitchell missed?

Thanks so much to everyone involved with putting this together. It's greatly appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad