Speculation: Offersheet Spencer Knight (Summer 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Goalies take longer to develop and there aren't any elite goalies available in the 2023 draft.

If Primeau underwhelms this season, should MTL consider offer-sheet to Spencer Knight next summer? He is a RFA and Bobrovsky is already signed for 3 more years after this season on a monster 10M caphit with a NMC. Also, FLA traded their 3x upcoming 1sts (2023+2024+2025). You would think waiving a 1st in their face may make them think twice. Also Florida is up againt the cap this season with only Hornqvist (5.3M) coming of the books as. a major salary.

We could roll the dice on say a 7.5 x 7 years. Even if they match, we do not lose an asset and now they would have 17.5M a year locked up in 2 goalies. If they do not match, We lose a 1st and a 3rd. Knight is easily worth a 1st I would say.

Is this a discussion to be had?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t believe we’re going to see an offer sheet for a long time after that whole drama that ensued with Aho.

No team will want to expose themselves to the type of payback that would likely follow from having their hands forced with an offer sheet.

If we want the player, make a trade offer that gets the other side’s attention and attempt a good faith negotiation. It’ll always be the best way to conduct business and preserve future dealings rather than burn bridges.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why is it a clown show? It' s a tool in the CBA that can get us a no1 goalie we need...

If you remember, when Burke went after Kessel in Boston, He made a trade offer. It got refused by BTN so he threatened to offersheet Kessel and forced the trade to happen.

Why can't we do that?

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did you know that Jean Beliveau refused to play for MTL because of his loyalty to a second rate Quebec City team? so MTL bought the whole league Quebec was in to own Beliveau and force him to come to MTL and the NHL?

Did you know Pollock purposely botched a trade to increase LA's position in the standings to ensure they could draft Lafleur?

This is how you become the Montreal Canadiens again. Think outside the box.

Does anyone have a better idea to acquire a young potential franchise goalie? Please entertain me.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Why is it a clown show? It' s a tool in the CBA that can get us a no1 goalie we need...

If you remember, when Burke went after Kessel in Boston, He made a trade offer. It got refused by BTN so he threatened to offersheet Kessel and forced the trade to happen.

Why can't we do that?
Bergevin lost any credibility from all GMs the day he offersheeted Aho and it ended up with Carolina doing the same with KK, which one we lost. Doing it is a war declaration, you dont want to eventually risk to lose Slaf, Caufield ect.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The compensation for a $7.5 million X 7 years contracts would be 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 3rd round pick since:

• The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years
If the deal was 5 years at $7.5 million the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd.

Teams must own their own draft picks to tender an offer sheet. Since the Habs traded their 2024 2nd round pick in the Dvorak trade they could not do either of the above deals. The offer sheet would have to be either less than $6.3 million per year (1st and 3rd) or more than $10.503 million per year ( 4 1sts).

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bergevin lost any credibility from all GMs the day he offersheeted Aho and it ended up with Carolina doing the same with KK, which one we lost. Doing it is a war statement, you dont want to eventually risk to lose Slaf, Caufield ect.
Risk nothing, gain nothing. Also I fully expect us to lock up Caufield as soon as it becomes CBA permitted.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.08.27 PM.png

FINE 1ST, 2ND 3RD. still worth less than a franchise goalie at age 22.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The compensation for a $7.5 million X 7 years contracts would be 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 3rd round pick since:

• The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years
If the deal was 5 years at $7.5 million the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd.

Teams must own their own draft picks to tender an offer sheet. Since the Habs traded their 2024 2nd round pick in the Dvorak trade they could not do either of the above deals. The offer sheet would have to be either less than $6.3 million per year (1st and 3rd) or more than $10.503 million per year ( 4 1sts).

OH f*** YOU BERGEVIN

Lock up this thread

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Risk nothing, gain nothing. Also I fully expect us to lock up Caufield as soon as it becomes CBA permitted.

View attachment 588393

It's not for a franchise goalie. It's for a low (<25%) probability that he turns into a franchise goalie (by which i assume a perennial ~top-25% starter in the league). And the cap hit of the contract you're suggesting is also an asset.

Goalies are inherently - especially today - the hardest position to project. There's a lot of variation within the best goalies in the league on a year-to-year basis. There's a lot of fluctuation in a goalie's career too.

Knight hasn't done anything, to this point, to warrant being called a franchise goaltender. Next season will definitely be key for him, but as of now, he's much more likely to be the next Jack Campbell than the next Vasi/Shesty/Lundqvist/Price/etc.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
While I don't think it's a clown move to offer-sheet players, I don't foresee Florida not matching whatever the offer is. It's more effective to target good players on teams with some other good players, with cap restrictions, that they can afford to lose. FLA can't afford to lose Knight.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Goalies take longer to develop and there aren't any elite goalies available in the 2023 draft.

If Primeau underwhelms this season, should MTL consider offer-sheet to Spencer Knight next summer? He is a RFA and Bobrovsky is already signed for 3 more years after this season on a monster 10M caphit with a NMC. Also, FLA traded their 3x upcoming 1sts (2023+2024+2025). You would think waiving a 1st in their face may make them think twice. Also Florida is up againt the cap this season with only Hornqvist (5.3M) coming of the books as. a major salary.

We could roll the dice on say a 7.5 x 7 years. Even if they match, we do not lose an asset and now they would have 17.5M a year locked up in 2 goalies. If they do not match, We lose a 1st and a 3rd. Knight is easily worth a 1st I would say.

Not sure we want to go the offer sheet… If we want to have a chance I wouldn’t be offering 7 years I would offer 2-3 years, if they match a 7year deal they are set if they match 2-3 years they are just buying time…

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
We are no longer a clown organization doing offer sheets.
I think that's the wrong lesson there. Not committing to the move and throwing shade at the financial status of other teams however was very much clown organization behaviour.

Reactions: the

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There is nothing wrong with offersheets, the problem is when a team that is run by an imbecile leaves itself badly exposed to offersheets or when a team works on bad intel and tries to insult the billionaire owner of another team and openly challenges their cash flow and calls them cheap and poor.

Any FLA RFA is a good offersheets target. If the Habs can get back their 2024 2nd then surely they could target someone.

Spencer Knight is not so proven as a NHLer… there are some UFA goalies we can consider if need be.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Even with your misunderstanding of the offer sheet rules, giving such a contract to Knight would be a very very very high risk move. He's not even shown he can be a starter goalie yet.

Reactions: zeeto and Tyson

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I wouldn't offer sheet him but I was thinking about acquiring Knight other day. I was thinking about being third team if Miami went after Chrychun. Where Habs drafted a lot of extra prospects last three drsfts. Plus we have extra picks going forward. We should have youth Phoenix likes. If it gets near deadline we can dangle caproom to Florida as incentive also. Montreal moved 5 or 6 expiring contracts by then. Habs need top young goalie

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is that a yes or a no?

Actually, serious question, he has good goalie skills or not? I'm not good with evaluating goalies.

I've never been a big fan of Spencer Knight. He's fine but it he just looks above average at everything without an elite quality that tells me he's going to be a true #1. The comparisons to Price were always way off base.

You'd be better off targeting Askarov from Nashville since they already have Saros.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

View attachment 588393

Caufield could have been extended back in July. I think they sign him mid season.

1st, 2nd, 3rd depends on timing. If we are rising up and have confidence we are not giving up a top 10 pick, then you consider it but if not, you don't.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Knight has alot to prove before he is considered a future #1.
The pedigree is there but he hasn't shown that much.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Would I offer sheet Spencer Knight? Heck no. Do I think Offer Sheets are some sort of taboo we should never violate?

WWSPD is my answer. What Would Sam Pollock Do. Sam was brilliant but also ruthless. You're darn tootin' he'd be using offer sheets.

Reactions: Barriwhite
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad