Speculation: Offer Sheets

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
* Not Speculation. Question.

What are the dates of when offer sheets may be signed this year? Is there a date-specific window?

Much of what I have found still seems to use the pre-covid July 1st date.

(and suggest there be a sticky post on offer sheets here)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I did find one link that stated that for 2019-20 there was a deadline of December 1st for RFAs to have some kind of contract in order to play in the NHL. I'd be surprised if that was the date for this season, but presumably there will be some deadline to sign a contract in order to play.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
As far as I understand it RFAs can be Negotiated with with the start of free agency so July 1st (this year was Oct.9th) till Dec. 1st (don't know what it will be this year). The common misconception around here is that an offer sheet is just given by the team. Its not. A team may come to a deal with the player then that deal is offered to the players team as an offer sheet. His team has one week to match or receive compensation. The Players team does not need to fit him into the salary cap in that week, they may continue exceed the salary cap by 10% up until the season starts.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
RFA dates begin the same time as UFA.

That December 1st deadline (in a normal year) for RFAs to sign is a good question. I think if the anticipated start date to the season is Jan 1, than March 1 would be the current RFA signing deadline.

As @KrisBeKreame noted there is a 7 day window for teams to match. The closer to the beginning of the season the more dangerous an offer sheet is because the team has less flexibility if they are over the cap.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As @KrisBeKreame mentioned, RFAs can start signing offer sheets on the equivalent of July 1 (this year Oct 9th).

Practically speaking, it's really difficult to sign offer sheets while there are still comparable-quality UFAs out there, as the team gets locked in for 7 days without knowing if they're gonna get their guy.

Players who opt for arbitration are no longer eligible to sign offer sheets.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
As far as I understand it RFAs can be Negotiated with with the start of free agency so July 1st (this year was Oct.9th) till Dec. 1st (don't know what it will be this year). The common misconception around here is that an offer sheet is just given by the team. Its not. A team may come to a deal with the player then that deal is offered to the players team as an offer sheet. His team has one week to match or receive compensation. The Players team does not need to fit him into the salary cap in that week, they may continue exceed the salary cap by 10% up until the season starts.

I though a player signs the offer sheet, then it goes to team. Once player has signed an offer sheet from another team, his current team cannot trade him.

For instance, if Boston Bruins wanted Sergachev. Starting October 9th (July 1 in normal year), Sergachev can start working on contract with Bruins. Bruins offer a 7-year, $6.2 million AAV deal. Sergachev signs. Tampa Bay then has one week to respond and can no longer trade him. TB is given two options, (a) match the offer dollar and term (everything except trade/movement clauses) or (b) accept the compensation from the Bruins (in this case a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks). But TB cannot match if it puts their 2020-21 cap over the 10% cushion (110% = $89,650,000).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Matching offer sheets means the player can’t be traded for 1 calendar year from matching. This happened with ROR in 2013 after playing in Europe.

That December deadline also matters with players signing and coming over from Europe and needing to clear waivers.

Over sheet signing can occur on the day free agency starts. As you get close to camp teams lose space and the 10% buffer goes away at the start of the season.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I think i remember seeing and maybe someone else can add to this. The players original team can negotiate a trade with the team that signed the player to the offer sheet during the week they have to accept. So If they dont want to accept the picks as compensation and a deal could be reached it still goes in as an offer sheet.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I think i remember seeing and maybe someone else can add to this. The players original team can negotiate a trade with the team that signed the player to the offer sheet during the week they have to accept. So If they dont want to accept the picks as compensation and a deal could be reached it still goes in as an offer sheet.
I believe once the player signs the offer sheet, his original club cannot trade him. They can only accept or match.

So for my example above, if Bruins signed Sergachev, Tampa Bay could not then trade the player. They would have two choices....match the dollar and term....or accept the offer sheet compensation.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I believe once the player signs the offer sheet, his original club cannot trade him. They can only accept or match.

So for my example above, if Bruins signed Sergachev, Tampa Bay could not then trade the player. They would have two choices....match the dollar and term....or accept the offer sheet compensation.
I am on my phone and unable to look it up at the moment but I remember reading that the teams may negotiate a trade in leu of pick compensation. But yes not with another team and not for a year after the sheet was accepted.
In your example, Tampa in Leu of the 1st,2nd,3rd could work out a trade with Boston. Sergachev still gets the contract that was offer sheeted. Neither team could trade him for a year, Tampa if matched, Boston if accepted.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
The Big thing thought that we saw Last off season is that just because a team send the player an offer doesn't make it an offer sheet. The Player must want to accept it. Marner supposedly turned down a couple. For Players it may not be about money, I think guys in Tampa may not want to leave that team.

Reactions: Favin

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
The Big thing thought that we saw Last off season is that just because a team send the player an offer doesn't make it an offer sheet. The Player must want to accept it. Marner supposedly turned down a couple. For Players it may not be about money, I think guys in Tampa may not want to leave that team.
If I was Cirelli and NYR presented me with a good offer sheet I am signing it. He would have far better wingers than he will ever get in Tampa because he is not going to supplant Point.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I though a player signs the offer sheet, then it goes to team. Once player has signed an offer sheet from another team, his current team cannot trade him.

For instance, if Boston Bruins wanted Sergachev. Starting October 9th (July 1 in normal year), Sergachev can start working on contract with Bruins. Bruins offer a 7-year, $6.2 million AAV deal. Sergachev signs. Tampa Bay then has one week to respond and can no longer trade him. TB is given two options, (a) match the offer dollar and term (everything except trade/movement clauses) or (b) accept the compensation from the Bruins (in this case a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks). But TB cannot match if it puts their 2020-21 cap over the 10% cushion (110% = $89,650,000).

The original team cannot trade the player for an entire year.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Habs went for Sebastian Aho because they felt they had a better chance of the offer sheet being signed than with Brayden Point, so there's a point in favor of that argument.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I am on my phone and unable to look it up at the moment but I remember reading that the teams may negotiate a trade in leu of pick compensation. But yes not with another team and not for a year after the sheet was accepted.
In your example, Tampa in Leu of the 1st,2nd,3rd could work out a trade with Boston. Sergachev still gets the contract that was offer sheeted. Neither team could trade him for a year, Tampa if matched, Boston if accepted.

Yes. They could complete the offer sheet, and trade back the return. But the signing player cannot be included.

In our example, lets say Tampa Bay wanted Brandon Carlo and Jack Studnicka instead of the three picks. Sergachev signs with Boston, who sends 1st, 2nd, 3rd picks in compensation to Tampa Bay. Sergachev is then a Bruin. TB could then simply trade back those picks to Boston for Carlo & Studnicka.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
If I was Cirelli and NYR presented me with a good offer sheet I am signing it. He would have far better wingers than he will ever get in Tampa because he is not going to supplant Point.
Leave the team he just won the Stanley Cup with? The team with the best talent in the league? Sure, why not?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Leave the team he just won the Stanley Cup with? The team with the best talent in the league? Sure, why not?
images

Reactions: Morrison

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I could see either Cirelli or Serg interest with NYR but they don’t have the compensation for either guy unless it’s a huge overpay. Leafs had the cap to give Marner a good offer but Tampa will not have the true cap space unless they clear out 15 million to do bridge deals

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Rangers are in position to be the next best team for this decade. He won a cup with Tampa, but would have way more years of winning more with the Rangers. He fits their group age wise perfectly too.

And winning a cup with the Rangers, in a market like that...I dont see why he wouldnt want to go there.

Anyway yeah I know he had a good season but had what...9pts in 24 games in playoffs? That isnt bad at all, being 23. But Its not like he had 20 to where hes a must keep. Tyler Johnson had 4g 3a. Maybe they just keep him and he gets more PT because of no Cirelli, fired up for what happened recently and doesnt make anyone notice a difference between him and Cirelli anyway(at least for next year). Tampa may be better off getting the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. Then able to keep Sergachev and Cernak. While also not having to breakup their core on offense...that could help them for this season and going forward. May even give them room for keeping Blake Coleman next off season. So in the end, could be better off.

Also, if Tyler Johnson does stay and gets more PT(back as 2nd line center) he puts up more points again. Even if its not for playoffs, do that for regular season so he pads his stats. Then the next off season, that 3 x 5.5 contract looks much better to teams. Tampa ends up getting a return for him in a trade Instead of him clearing waivers like he did this year

Also, not saying Mitchell Stephens is on Cirelli's level but a year behind him in age and seasons played and put up similar numbers in the playoffs(3g 3a). Between him, Tyler Johnson, and Stamkos being healthy its not like theyll be way worse off. Theyll have gained a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as well. And Cap space for Blake Coleman if they want the next off season. While also keeping Serg and Cernak.

That may be their best bet. If they keep Cirelli and dump Killorn and Gourde as well as Johnson...they are much worse off for next season. Those guys were important players for them. Getting Stamkos back and not having Cirelli, but the rest...is a better option if they want to repeat

Last edited:

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Rangers are in position to be the next best team for this decade. He won a cup with Tampa, but would have way more years of winning more with the Rangers. He fits their group age wise perfectly too.

And winning a cup with the Rangers, in a market like that...I dont see why he wouldnt want to go there.

Anyway yeah I know he had a good season but had what...9pts in 24 games in playoffs? That isnt bad at all, being 23. But Its not like he had 20 to where hes a must keep. Tyler Johnson had 4g 3a. Maybe they just keep him and he gets more PT because of no Cirelli, fired up for what happened recently and doesnt make anyone notice a difference between him and Cirelli anyway(at least for next year). Tampa may be better off getting the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. Then able to keep Sergachev and Cernak. While also not having to breakup their core on offense...that could help them for this season and going forward. May even give them room for keeping Blake Coleman next off season. So in the end, could be better off.

Also, if Tyler Johnson does stay and gets more PT(back as 2nd line center) he puts up more points again. Even if its not for playoffs, do that for regular season so he pads his stats. Then the next off season, that 3 x 5.5 contract looks much better to teams. Tampa ends up getting a return for him in a trade Instead of him clearing waivers like he did this year

Also, not saying Mitchell Stephens is on Cirelli's level but a year behind him in age and seasons played and put up similar numbers in the playoffs(3g 3a). Between him, Tyler Johnson, and Stamkos being healthy its not like theyll be way worse off. Theyll have gained a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as well. And Cap space for Blake Coleman if they want the next off season. While also keeping Serg and Cernak.

That may be their best bet. If they keep Cirelli and dump Killorn and Gourde as well as Johnson...they are much worse off for next season. Those guys were important players for them. Getting Stamkos back and not having Cirelli, but the rest...is a better option if they want to repeat
Nonsense! Cirelli is a potential core player going forward, he extends their window. Those other guys are at the back end of their careers, losing them doesn't hurt nearly as much.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Tampa's one of the best run organizations in the league. Add in 0 state income tax, you have a good (but not overbearing) fanbase, are away from the limelight, and get to play in Florida during the winter and I think moving to NYR isn't an easy sell.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Is it possible to send out 2 offersheets at once as long as you have the compensation? Like if a team was to offer sheet Cermak at 4.3(2nd) and also sergachev at 1st and 3rd round money? Make Tampa choose where the money goes and still need to sign Cerelli

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
So

1)Leave the team that won the Stanley Cup in a division that looks much easier now that Boston 2 best forwards are hurt and lost Krug.
2) Sign with a team that missed the playoffs and is playing in toughest division by far in hockey.
3)Get taxed way more in NY then TB.
4)Leave sunshine state.
5)Whatever cash you gain at least this year if not next year too deduct 20% escrow.

If I am Cirelli it is going to take a lot of $$$$$$$$ to leave steps 1-5.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Tampa's one of the best run organizations in the league. Add in 0 state income tax, you have a good (but not overbearing) fanbase, are away from the limelight, and get to play in Florida during the winter and I think moving to NYR isn't an easy sell.

They've been surprisingly humble. A little too quiet. :squint:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Is it possible to send out 2 offersheets at once as long as you have the compensation? Like if a team was to offer sheet Cermak at 4.3(2nd) and also sergachev at 1st and 3rd round money? Make Tampa choose where the money goes and still need to sign Cerelli
Yes it is possible. Using TBL as an example, strategically I would think the best move would be to OS a high $ amt. on Serg. (but not so high they won't match) & (2nd rd. comp. $) Cernak simultaneously. As soon as they match Serg., OS Cirelli (your actual target).

In all likelihood TBL could thwart virtually any OS nightmare scenario by moving:

McD for future considerations...some team would bite
Palat for future "
Killorn for future "
Worst case scenario, they lose 1-2 1sts+ & move TJ and/or Gourde

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad