Eklund Rumor: Offer Sheets for Kucherov

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Offer sheet of $7M would definitely create problems for Tampa - compensation is a 1st,2nd,3rd pick. No way you would let Kucherov go for that. So you match and your already difficult cap situation gets more difficult.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Perhaps it could possibly, maybe, conceivably happen. Don't see how the Blues would possibly do this. Do they even happen the picks available to make this work, never mind the salary cap they would have to shed.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Only one of those teams has even close to enough cap space for Kucherov :laugh:

And the Devils might not have their 2017 3rd rounder which would eliminate most of the potential offers. Ranges in which a 3rd rounder isn't needed:

Less than $1,239,226: Nothing
Over $1,877,615 to $3,755,233: Second-round pick
Over $9,388,080: Four first-round picks

Pretty sure we can rule out the first two ranges. The last range would seem somewhat unlikely for both salary concerns* and/or giving up four first rounders.

*If an offer sheet is over five years in length, the total value is divided by 5 to determine which compensation range is given. So a hypothetical 7 year, 47 mil offer sheet would yield a (47/5) 9.4 million dollar compensatory package.

Albeit if the Devils were really going down that route, getting back its 3rd rounder from Carolina might not be impossible. Toronto gave up 2011 2nd (Calgary's) and 3rd round picks to Chicago to get back the Leafs' original 2010 2nd rounder. In theory, the Leafs could put out an offer sheet for Phil Kessel once they recouped that pick. They'd end up making a deal with Boston (without an offer sheet) nine days later.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Montreal has the picks. That's it. Nowhere close to salary cap room.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see cap space as a big obstacle for any of those teams. For instance St.Louis probably is sitting on multiple offers for Shattenkirk that they could pull the trigger on at any moment. The Capitals could make space too, but it would take them moving two or three players to make that space, and probably none as coveted as Shattenkirk.

I definitely think Kucherov would be the biggest offer sheet risk we've seen in years. They have no cap space in Washington, and meanwhile Kucherov looks like the real deal for team Russia.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't see cap space as a big obstacle for any of those teams. For instance St.Louis probably has a lot of offers for Shattenkirk they could pull the trigger on at any moment. The Capitals could make space too, but it would take them moving two or three players to make that space.

I definitely think Kucherov would be the biggest offer sheet we've seen in years. They have no cap space in Washington, and meanwhile Kucherov looks like the real deal for team Russia.

:help:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Perhaps it could possibly, maybe, conceivably happen. Don't see how the Blues would possibly do this. Do they even happen the picks available to make this work, never mind the salary cap they would have to shed.

It's not impossible that Kucherov ends up somewhere other then Tampa Bay, but it's unlikely that St. Louis tries to sign Nikita Kucherov to an offer sheet.

Let's say perhaps St. Louis does sign Nikita Kucherov to an offer sheet, Tampa Bay would have seven days to match the offer sheet. If Tampa Bay doesn't match the offer and wants compensation for Kucherov, instead of giving Tampa Bay a 1st round pick a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick maybe St. Louis could work out a trade with Tampa Bay as compensation for Nikita Kucherov.

So I'm just gonna throw this trade out here. Flame away

To St. Louis: RW Nikita Kucherov, and RD Brayden Coburn

To Tampa Bay: RD Kevin Shattenkirk, C Alexander Steen, a 1st round pick in 2017 and a 4th round pick in 2018

St. Louis re-signs Kucherov and Tampa resigns Shattenkirk upon being traded.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I apologize if I'm ignorant about an LTIR player I'm unaware of, but Hockeyscap says less than 900k in space

edit: lol nevermind mixed him with Kuznetzov (who's deal isn't even up)

Last edited:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Nashville Predators have the picks and the cap space.
Also probably the most sensible place for Kucherov as they are drooling for a first line winger to play with Ryjo and Neal.

Just dont think Poile would offersheet anyone ever, but he is getting towards the end of his career one would think and has still never won a cup, and is disgustingly close with the Preds right now, just a couple pieces needed.....

Poile also getting wild lately by trading the Jones/Ryjo and Weber/Subban deals very recently...

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Doug Armstrong can't even figure out how to trade Shatty...I don't see him being nimble and aggressive on a move like the one suggested by Eklund.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Devils don't have their 3rd round pick so they would have to offer enough for it to be 4 1st round picks if they want any chance to get him and that is not something that I can see coming close to happening.

Canucks and Blues don't have the cap space so...

Idiotic this thread is.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Can't see the prefix on your phone otherwise I wouldn't have come in here either. No idea why people continue going to his site. Fox news is more credible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad