Offer Sheet Thread

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Doubt it, it doesnt really make sense to offer sheet second liners, especially a winger, its way easier to draft than a franchise center like Matthews, such players are seen half a decade, thats why its worth going for it, you dont want become an ennemi from your peers unless its really worth it...

Oilers offer sheeted Dustin Penner, who was hardly a star. Ducks didn't match, so it can happen. If you're the Pens and in win now mode and want to improve on the wings then why not? Or, even the Oilers. It's more likely with him then with M & M, where a team has to fit a huge # under the cap while staying competitive AND give 4 first round picks.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I'd hate to be the Aho who says it won't happen, but that's just the Point -- it won't.

All the GMs are as thick as thieves and no one wants to risk the Trouba of finding out that any offer will be matched.

Any team that considers it, if any, Will Butcher their own prospects's lists, all of which would cause massive inflationary forces to prevail across the league.

It all sounds like a vain attempt to revive the Schmaltz of another era when teams were not shackled by the Cap and could actually get into bidding wars.

Also, the price to be paid for the best of RFAs would be outrageous, losing all those first round draft picks -- especially in the upcoming drafts, you could easily end up looking like a Boeser and even worse if your team finishes low in the standings over the next 5 years.

It would be worse than the fable of Hansel and Guentzel.

It all sounds like it could produce a bang, but no, it's quite the opposite, it'll fizzle and make sounds like Fiala and Pionk!

End of Rantanen.

You are such a corndog and I always love it.

Reactions: Runner77

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Oilers offer sheeted Dustin Penner, who was hardly a star. Ducks didn't match, so it can happen. If you're the Pens and in win now mode and want to improve on the wings then why not? Or, even the Oilers. It's more likely with him then with M & M, where a team has to fit a huge # under the cap while staying competitive AND give 4 first round picks.
Yeah but it was years ago and it turned out to be a huge mistake, GMs wont take such risks anymore for that kind of players, its too risky and makes other GMs go crazy, only special players are at risk these days IMO and it has to be a situation where you think you have a good chance it works such a team like Toronto that look to be in hot water right now, they might not be able to keep their 2 superstars while one of them is a local boy... The fans are going to go crazy if they cant sign Marner, imagine we have an elite center like Matthews while having lets say a young superstar in the making like Lafreniere and that we cant afford both since they are asking for the moon, you have to pick one and you finally let the french top gun go, expect a huge riot...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I doubt there are any offer sheets this year. But the chances of it happening certainly aren't zero.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Just to f*** with Toronto , I would offer sheet Matthews the maximum allowed by the league. 7 years / 16 millions per year. Im sure Toronto will match it but it will throw a wrench in their cap management strategy

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Just to **** with Toronto , I would offer sheet Matthews the maximum allowed by the league. 7 years / 16 millions per year. Im sure Toronto will match it but it will throw a wrench in their cap management strategy

If TOR matches 16M for Matthews, their Cap structure would be sent into a tailspin and I seriously doubt they can also retain Marner without gutting their team. For sure, at that point, Gardiner and Hainsey aren't re-signed, Marleau likely needs to be flipped for little in return and Kapanen is in risk of needing to be traded, or Nylander.

TOR becomes a 3, 4 or 5-player team and likely never has the required depth to win a Cup, despite having talented layers.

That said, perhaps PHO has a legitimate reason to offer sheet Mattews to a 16M contract.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Just to **** with Toronto , I would offer sheet Matthews the maximum allowed by the league. 7 years / 16 millions per year. Im sure Toronto will match it but it will throw a wrench in their cap management strategy

Then what, they offer sheet Kotkaniemi in 2 years just to f*** our structure?

I don’t know. I can see Arizona offer sheeting Matthews out of necessity however...

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Then what, they offer sheet Kotkaniemi in 2 years just to **** our structure?

I don’t know. I can see Arizona offer sheeting Matthews out of necessity however...

Well if it comes to that, I would prefer to have Matthews than Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So true. Offer sheeting Mathews is almost a must. If they match they’re screwed, if not, we have a top 5 center for 7 years and a ton of young cheap depth in the meantime to work with. Just imagine Mathews, Weber and Price on the same team. Would be killer.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This may be the year, there are a pile of star players coming off entry levels this year.

M&M in Toronto
Laine and Conner with the jets
Rantanen in Col
Point in TB
Aho with the canes
Tkachuk with calgary

slightly lesser guys like Werenski, colin white, Timo Meier, konecny and many more.

It is likely that the top guys (Mathews, Marner, Point, Laine, Rantanen) are all waiting for someone else to set the market price so its likely quite a few guys get to July 1st.

Then all it takes is one GM and a player looking to make something happen.

Take Matthews as an example, he is quite happy to stay in TO but we reach July and still no contract. Arizona comes calling and offers 7 years at $13.5 million (he would sell hockey in the desert) Matthews may sign that contract as there is no downside, either he is back home in Arizona or like shea weber years ago he pushes his existing team to match giving him the money he wanted all along.

If there is one the dam could burst, Assume the above happens and the Leafs match- someone like Lou is waiting in the wings to try to sign Marner to a offersheet the Leafs can't match after the matthews deal. Same senario can play out with the jets who will have lots of high end RFA's

I will say this, if there are no offersheets this year then they may as will remove it in the next CBA as it will never be used again. This year is the perfect storm.

Most teams still have their 1st round picks to make an offer sheet.

The bolded part makes no sense and serves only as hyperbole. RFA rules exist for systemic reasons, used or unused, they are part of the technicalities that try to balance out opportunities for all parties.

They are dealing with a league that is becoming too static, with less team movements, especially for top players, with trades being harder to make and a dried-up free agency.

What you are suggesting would only further the problem, that's why it makes no sense.

They will actually be looking at the opposite. To open-up the markets by removing safeties on garanteed contracts and maybe look at modifying the RFA scheme, but to make it little more attractive. That's the real battle of the next CBA, garanteed contracts and agency restrictions.

Reactions: Chili

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
So true. Offer sheeting Mathews is almost a must. If they match they’re screwed, if not, we have a top 5 center for 7 years and a ton of young cheap depth in the meantime to work with. Just imagine Mathews, Weber and Price on the same team. Would be killer.

Wouldn't be enough to win.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I see Arizona doing an offer sheet, no doubt. LA, NYR and certainly Montreal should be looking at this option. Its the best way to screw with your competition. Imagine the liberal tears of outrage on HNIC and Sportsnet? Ron and Don would need therapy if the Leafs lose AM.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I see Arizona doing an offer sheet, no doubt. LA, NYR and certainly Montreal should be looking at this option. Its the best way to screw with your competition. Imagine the liberal tears of outrage on HNIC and Sportsnet? Ron and Don would need therapy if the Leafs lose AM.

Offer sheets are actually quite liberal. Their effect is to add bargaining power to labour.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wouldn't be enough to win.

Drouin Mathews Shaw
Domi KK Gally
Lehkonen Danault Armia
Byron Poehling Evans

LD (Tatar trade) Weber
Mete Petry
Kulak/Benn Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

That’s a pretty deep team. Add Romanov, Brook, Suzuki, Ylonen etc etc and our 1st this year and I think our prospect cupboard is pretty stacked too. Certainly not going to draft better than Mathews in any of those years with that above team.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
Montreal is simply not an interesting destination for free agents.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The bolded part makes no sense and serves only as hyperbole. RFA rules exist for systemic reasons, used or unused, they are part of the technicalities that try to balance out opportunities for all parties.

They are dealing with a league that is becoming too static, with less team movements, especially for top players, with trades being harder to make and a dried-up free agency.

What you are suggesting would only further the problem, that's why it makes no sense.

They will actually be looking at the opposite. To open-up the markets by removing safeties on garanteed contracts and maybe look at modifying the RFA scheme, but to make it little more attractive. That's the real battle of the next CBA, garanteed contracts and agency restrictions.

I think you missed my point with the bolded section . My point was that currently the offer sheet mechanism is not used, If it is not used this year when there are so many high end RFAs- many who have stated they won't negociate in season it will never be used. So change it which is essentially what you are saying.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The idea of the offer sheet is more intriguing than the actual practice of it for sure. It should be something that teams use, but as has been mentioned many times, GMs are scared of retribution. The huge list of assets out there this summer may make a difference though.
MB, with all that cap space, should explore the possibility of placing a call to a team like TB or Tor for example and ask what kind of deal they'd be willing to do in order to prevent me from offer sheeting their player or to help them make room. Perhaps some sweetheart deals could be had.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Montreal and toronto wont make a big trade. Cause they are in the same division.. So an offer sheet could be a good idea. Maybe bergevin will have a bad reputation in toronto but whos care. And if toronto need to overpaying a guy like marner or matthews, indirectly it helps us. (Maybe reach a guy like gardiner, cause toronto will let him walk...

Reactions: MTL-rules

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With all the outstanding young RFA's potentially becoming available after this year and the precedent Nylander has set for them by sitting out this year waiting for the contract he thinks he deserves, what are the odds we see an offer sheet next year. Most of the old guard GM's are gone and the "code" towards not stealing other teams players isn't as prevalent. We have a good chunk of cap space....just curious to others thoughts on this subject.

There are some massive names out there.

FORWARDS
Auston Matthews, C, TOR

Patrik Laine, RW, WPG

Mitchell Marner, RW, TOR

Sebastian Aho, C, CAR

Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL

Matthew Tkachuk, LW, CGY

Brock Boeser, RW, VAN

William Karlsson, C, VGK

Kyle Connor, LW, WPG

Brayden Point, C, TBL

Teuvo Teravainen, LW, CAR

Jake Guentzel, LW, PIT

Timo Meier, LW/RW, SJS

Travis Konecny, RW, PHI

Nick Schmaltz, C, CHI

Kevin Fiala, LW, NSH

Anthony Beauvillier, LW, NYI

Pavel Buchnevich, RW, NYR

Andre Burakovsky, LW/RW, WSH

DEFENSEMEN
Charlie McAvoy, D, BOS

Zach Werenski, D, CBJ

Ivan Provorov, D, PHI

Will Butcher, D, NJD

Jacob Trouba, D, WPG

Nikita Zadorov, D, COL

Esa Lindell, D, DAL

Neal Pionk, D, NYR
Been tried many times before....doesn't work. For example, how would you like to be paying Nylander 7 million a year for next 7 years and gave up your next 4 first round picks for the right to pay him that kind of money?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad