Proposal: Offer sheet Cody Franson

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Franson would be a great fit on this team. He's big, he hits, and he produces offensively. He'd immediately be in our top 4 along with Subban, Gorges, and Markov

I hope Emelin isn't in that top 4 because of his injury. Because if you would honestly consider dropping Emelin for Franson, you are completely out of your mind.

And for all the people touting Franson's "hit" totals, let me ask, how does his hitting break down home and away?

It's a completely subjective stat that is *not* recorded officially by the NHL but rather its tabulated by staff person at each home arena and then the league just takes that info. Meaning, someone that works for the hosting team tabulates the hits based on whatever he or she determines to be a "hit." Some people might count rubbing someone out along the boards as a hit, some may not. Some may see two players collide and one falls down as a hit for the player on his skates, some may credit both players with hit, etc. The stat is very flawed and dramatically changes from arena to arena.

Since the league started keeping the stat, there has been strange anomalies around the league where certain teams oddly boasted a lot of the league's top hitters, thanks to the person they had in house that kept the stat. Paul Laus and several Florida Panthers, for example, had an incredible amount of hits for a few seasons.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He throws big hits, clears the front of the net. What else do you want?

Uh ... he does neither. I assure you, if he did either of those things, the Maple Leafs would have handed him $5 million a season and been thrilled to have inked him.

If he had any kind of mean streak and inclination whatsoever to use his size to his advantage, coupled with his offensive abilities he'd be very valuable and the Leafs would have locked him up long term.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
This board is so silly sometimes.

Franson would be a great fit on this team. He's big, he hits, and he produces offensively. He'd immediately be in our top 4 along with Subban, Gorges, and Markov.

He may not be nasty, he may not skate that great, and he may not be shut down defensively, but if he were those things, he'd be one of the best young D in the league.

He is what he is. A big right handed Dman who hits, puts up production, and is solid enough in his own zone.

Should probably watch him a handful of times before calling others silly.

hogtownhabsfan*

I think Mark Fraser is a better fit as a bottom pairing D for us.

The concern with Fraser is the facial injuries, and whether he'll be able to still fight, as well as the fact he played way over his head last year. Some guys can make a living playing way over their head year after year, see Josh Gorges before last season, but I'd be hesitant to give him anything long term.

He's a warrior though, but has a severe lack of mobility and somewhat I question his hockey IQ. And I'd certainly prefer Franson who's simply better at hockey if not the rugged warrior.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
For sure, but I'm thinking the guy might be done playing with an edge with the kind of injury he had...

The concern with Fraser is the facial injuries, and whether he'll be able to still fight, as well as the fact he played way over his head last year. Some guys can make a living playing way over their head year after year, see Josh Gorges before last season, but I'd be hesitant to give him anything long term.

He's a warrior though, but has a severe lack of mobility and somewhat I question his hockey IQ. And I'd certainly prefer Franson who's simply better at hockey if not the rugged warrior.

I forgot about his injury but it was just an observation more than anything else. We can use a solid #6 who is physical more than franson. Sure, franson will help us but the contract will be expensive so it's always nice to fill our needs first and then worry about luxuries.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I forgot about his injury but it was just an observation more than anything else. We can use a solid #6 who is physical more than franson. Sure, franson will help us but the contract will be expensive so it's always nice to fill our needs first and then worry about luxuries.

I'm with you on this though what we need is a guy like Carkner.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm with you on this though what we need is a guy like Carkner.

I like Carkner but I'd rather a little less of a fighter and a little more of a hockey player.

We need a guy who can block shots and clear the net. I understand Carkner can do that, but it's always nice to have a guy who can fill in for gorges or emelin temporarily for a shift or a game and Carkner can't.

Edit: I know we have Tinordi but gorges isn't really a physical D-man to begin with. Feel Emelin is solo for being intimidating and he's limited. Subban and Gorges hit but aren't intimidating. Subban is someone people need to be aware of but he's not "mean".

Analyzer*

I would say a pretty effective number 6 and a guy I would rather have than Drewiske in any role.

Hey, I'd take Carkner over Bouillon as well.

He's still not a dman you have in the lineup with no injuries if you want to be successful.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Hey, I'd take Carkner over Bouillon as well.

He's still not a dman you have in the lineup with no injuries if you want to be successful.

He's not a bad player. He can play a shift but he's strictly a #6 at best. We can't play ANY role and he can't move up lineup when injuries happen. He's a role player.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Mark Fraser is the guy from the Leafs we need. Dude is a big, mean, sob. And the Leafs have trouble re-signing him. MB should jump at the chance and offer sheet me, we don't have anybody like him.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Mark Fraser is the guy from the Leafs we need. Dude is a big, mean, sob. And the Leafs have trouble re-signing him. MB should jump at the chance and offer sheet me, we don't have anybody like him.

Skull fracture. Can't fight anymore. Still worth it?

hogtownhabsfan*

No, he wasn't, anyone watching him at all knows this.

He would have led our team in hits last year! :laugh:

I mean what do you want? Sure he's not Chris Pronger, but the guy is 6'5" 225lbs, and finished his checks.

The point is he's a really good player considering everything he brings to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad