OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Detroit makes better Chicago deep dish than Chicago. That is all.
Detroit doesn't make Chicago deep dish, they make Detroit deep dish. Detroit deep dish has a lot more dough and doesn't go crust > cheese > toppings (I guess not toppings, contents) > cheese > sauce on top.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Detroit makes better Chicago deep dish than Chicago. That is all.

This is 100% correct. When it comes to deep dish, Chicagoans are some of the most deluded souls around. Funny thing is, one of the pizza places in Chicago that many Chicagoans think make the best deep dish, Pequod's (which is legit good), is a round version ripoff of Detroit-style. Meanwhile, Chicago legit does thin crust real well.

(dissenting opinions on this topic will be reported in an effort to cancel you)

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
What?

Ketchup on a pasty is Yooper as f***.

I generally dislike ketchup. Overall, it's an awful condiment. However, I do make a couple exceptions. It's my first-choice condiment for only two things, neither of which I have very often.... hashbrowns and pasties. Gravy on a pasty is amateur hour as far as I'm concerned. Spent two weeks every summer growing up in Curtis, MI. We always used ketchup on pasties.

I also use ketchup on my french fries, but that's only because savages often dictate that there is no mayo available.

Reactions: Ezekial

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I generally dislike ketchup.

Preach! Oh man. Depending on how much you're focusing on the taste of food and not just so hungry you might as well have a shovel, Ketchup can be a serious taste killer.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Detroit doesn't make Chicago deep dish, they make Detroit deep dish. Detroit deep dish has a lot more dough and doesn't go crust > cheese > toppings (I guess not toppings, contents) > cheese > sauce on top.

Detroit-style may appear to have more dough after baking, but it should be more airy. Chicago-style is dense. And far less interesting, especially the crust (obv).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Detroit-style may appear to have more dough after baking, but it should be more airy. Chicago-style is dense. And far less interesting, especially the crust (obv).
I like Detroit style deep dish more, most of the time, sometimes I get a huge hankering for "The Lou" from Lou Malnati's. I probably don't have to tell you, but in Chicago I see a lot more tavern style thin crust pizza ordered in comparison, Chicago Deep Dish is just unique to the city.
But Detroit style has that crispy airy buttery baked edges that is just unreal.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I like Detroit style deep dish more, most of the time, sometimes I get a huge hankering for "The Lou" from Lou Malnati's. I probably don't have to tell you, but in Chicago I see a lot more tavern style thin crust pizza ordered in comparison, Chicago Deep Dish is just unique to the city.
But Detroit style has that crispy airy buttery baked edges that is just unreal.

Yeah, the thin crust gets sold a lot more, no doubt. As it should be haha.

My in-laws are big Lou fans. It's not my cup of tea, but they also always get sausage on it, and, I'm sorry, Lou Malnati's has the most disgusting sausage I've ever had on pizza. Even worse than Sarpino's, though the last time I had Sarpino's was the first lol. Their sauce is also the opposite of my preference.

I make my own Detroit-style once in a while. Wholly authentic. Here's my recipe if anyone is interested.

Dough
1C water
1T olive oil
2.5 C bread flour
1t salt
pinch of sugar
dash of garlic powder
1.25t yeast

Sauce
28oz can crushed tomatoes
1T olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2t sugar
2t Italian seasoning
dash of onion powder
dash of red pepper flakes
season with salt and pepper

Toppings
8-12oz pepperoni
12-16oz brick cheese - ½ in cubes

Instructions:

Prepare dough by mixing ingredients (bread maker if available)
Punch down
Cover and let rest 10 minutes
Drizzle pan with olive oil
Spread dough in pan (divide in half if two)
Cover and let rest, 15-20 mins
Spread dough again, if necessary
Cover and let rest, 30-45 mins

Position oven rack at lowest position
Pre-heat oven to 500-550*

Heat olive oil in saucepan on medium heat
Stir in garlic and seasoning, until fragrant, about 30 seconds
Add tomatoes, sugar, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
Bring to simmer
Cook until reduced, thick, about 3 cups, about 20-30 minutes

Gently press dough down, use fork to pop big bubbles
Top dough with pepperoni
Add cubed cheese, especially around edge of pan
Add any other toppings
Dollop sauce on top of pizza, in three lengthwise rows if desired
Transfer pizza to bottom rack and bake 12-15 minutes
Cheese should be bubbly and edges black
Remove pizza from oven and loosen edges with a spatula
Let rest 10 minutes and then transfer to cutting board
Add more sauce if desired
Cut into squares with knife and serve

IMG_4070a.jpg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lou Malnati's does their sausage in a way that sucks balls too. it's basically just a whole patty on the entire base of the crust (it's not really a patty, they use fresh sausage and spread it out with their hands).
I don't order sausage pizza, ever. I will eat it, but if it has sausage I prefer it to have onions and mushrooms (and green peppers, but I'm not huge on green peppers either)
The Lou is a veggie pizza - Spinach mix (enhanced with garlic, basil & onion), mushrooms and sliced Roma tomatoes covered with three cheeses, on a garlic Buttercrust

Damn homie that is a top notch homemade Detroit pizza!

E: Sarpino's is absolute garbage. It's like Papa Johns but a Chicago chain, and in a city where there's a good independent pizza place every quarter mile, no reason to ever eat it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
All this deep dish talk completely ignores that New York pizza is the real champ.
Give me
Vito%20&%20Nicks%20-%20Pizza%20Both.jpg

Every time.
One of those is Italian beef and giardiniera pizza too, so f***ing good.

NY pizza is too floppy and greasy for me, personally.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Lou Malnati's does their sausage in a way that sucks balls too. it's basically just a whole patty on the entire base of the crust (it's not really a patty, they use fresh sausage and spread it out with their hands).
I don't order sausage pizza, ever. I will eat it, but if it has sausage I prefer it to have onions and mushrooms (and green peppers, but I'm not huge on green peppers either)
The Lou is a veggie pizza - Spinach mix (enhanced with garlic, basil & onion), mushrooms and sliced Roma tomatoes covered with three cheeses, on a garlic Buttercrust

Damn homie that is a top notch homemade Detroit pizza!

Ah yes. I have had The Lou, but it's been a real long time. My in-laws always get sausage on their Lou Malnatti's pizza. I just can't stand it in that large patty format. It's very bland sausage too. Anyway, I'm going to stop talking about that sausage now haha.

My favorite pizza sausage is on the Hot Doug's Atomic Sausage Pizza from Piece. Bless Doug Sohn (RIP Hot Doug's), that pizza is incredible. It's really the only time I choose sausage on pizza at all. Always pepperoni otherwise.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Give me
Vito%20&%20Nicks%20-%20Pizza%20Both.jpg

Every time.
One of those is Italian beef and giardiniera pizza too, so f***ing good.

NY pizza is too floppy and greasy for me, personally.

Giardiniera on pizza for the mfing win baby.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You Sumbiches are gonna make me get fatter. :laugh: I already fluctuate 7-15 lbs. over my ideal weight being that's it's a (Florida) winter layer + Complacency Belly + holiday weight. Now in addition to all the ads on FB for local eateries I gotta see homecooked pizza?

I'm willing to solve the NY vs. DET vs. CHI vs (x) pizza challenge. All contestants can deliver 2 or more large pizzas & I'll be the jury, judge & executioner of said pizza. Awards will be announced at the end.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
a few favorites:

Cioppino - best seafood dish

Jambalaya

Seafood Gumbo

Xtra Blackened Grouper (or Mahi/Swordfish) + Filet Mignon MR.

Seafood tacos

Priazzo Milano pie

Lasagna

Ceviche

Pizza (unless it has some BS on it, i.e, sardines, collard greens & goat cheese)

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Pizzapapalis makes a Chicago style deep dish. I was not speaking of Detroit deep dish.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Been meaning to ask. Bench, could I get you to send a couple dozen Juicy's from Matt's my way??? Asking for me.

Hey me too! Another reason I'm sad about no Minneapolis trip this winter.... missing out on my annual Juicy Lucys.

We've gone to Matt's a few times over the years, but isn't there another place up there that also claims to be the original?

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
At an old job we took a new hire (who had just moved to Michigan) to a Buddy's Pizza and we didn't really consider that he'd never been to one before. He ordered Pasghetti, hahaha. That one is on us (the non-new people).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hey me too! Another reason I'm sad about no Minneapolis trip this winter.... missing out on my annual Juicy Lucys.

We've gone to Matt's a few times over the years, but isn't there another place up there that also claims to be the original?

Blue Door, perhaps? There's a couple from what I can tell that claim to be the real deal.

Been meaning to ask. Bench, could I get you to send a couple dozen Jucy's from Matt's my way??? Asking for me.

Hey that's right down the road. If they shipped well, I'd gladly do ya a solid.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Blue Door, perhaps? There's a couple from what I can tell that claim to be the real deal.

Could be. I honestly don't remember, just thought there was some competition up there over who was "first."

We usually rent a house in the Groveland Park area, and end up going to Groveland Tap a lot. Nothing too terribly special, but a solid joint we've kinda made our homebase most years.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yeah, the thin crust gets sold a lot more, no doubt. As it should be haha.

My in-laws are big Lou fans. It's not my cup of tea, but they also always get sausage on it, and, I'm sorry, Lou Malnati's has the most disgusting sausage I've ever had on pizza. Even worse than Sarpino's, though the last time I had Sarpino's was the first lol. Their sauce is also the opposite of my preference.

I make my own Detroit-style once in a while. Wholly authentic. Here's my recipe if anyone is interested.

Dough
1C water
1T olive oil
2.5 C bread flour
1t salt
pinch of sugar
dash of garlic powder
1.25t yeast

Sauce
28oz can crushed tomatoes
1T olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2t sugar
2t Italian seasoning
dash of onion powder
dash of red pepper flakes
season with salt and pepper

Toppings
8-12oz pepperoni
12-16oz brick cheese - ½ in cubes

Instructions:

Prepare dough by mixing ingredients (bread maker if available)
Punch down
Cover and let rest 10 minutes
Drizzle pan with olive oil
Spread dough in pan (divide in half if two)
Cover and let rest, 15-20 mins
Spread dough again, if necessary
Cover and let rest, 30-45 mins

Position oven rack at lowest position
Pre-heat oven to 500-550*

Heat olive oil in saucepan on medium heat
Stir in garlic and seasoning, until fragrant, about 30 seconds
Add tomatoes, sugar, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
Bring to simmer
Cook until reduced, thick, about 3 cups, about 20-30 minutes

Gently press dough down, use fork to pop big bubbles
Top dough with pepperoni
Add cubed cheese, especially around edge of pan
Add any other toppings
Dollop sauce on top of pizza, in three lengthwise rows if desired
Transfer pizza to bottom rack and bake 12-15 minutes
Cheese should be bubbly and edges black
Remove pizza from oven and loosen edges with a spatula
Let rest 10 minutes and then transfer to cutting board
Add more sauce if desired
Cut into squares with knife and serve

View attachment 390157
That looks ridiculously delicious. Re: your aversion to sausage on most pizza. Find some mild Italian (or Hot 'n Spicy) that has fennel seeds in it. I buy small bags of fennel seed, put it in a mason jar & refrigerate. Makes an excellent before & after dinner palate cleanser, semi-sweet, slightly almost minty taste (& I don't even like mint). Also works well with gumbos/cajun cooking, Andouille Sausage etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad