OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic Thread: Work sucks, I know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well my "lol" was referring to Mike's gif, not the subject.

And as we can see, even with that small thing, it's been misconstrued as me laughing at the subject. Hence why I won't participate in the question. Especially on a forum like this. Just not the right place for it.
Then stop posting about it. No one is forcing you to discuss it.

Reactions: NeelyDan and Alicat

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I think it’s an interesting, thought-provoking question and I’d love to engage in thoughtful discussion on the subject.

Given the rules that govern this board and how quickly conversations get shut down because some people can’t help but cross the known line, to me, that’s the issue more than the content of the question or any associated stigma.

There’s been a ton of current events that I’d love to discuss here as I think this crew has a good mix of familiarity and anonymity (if that makes any sense). But we just…can’t.

It’s a great question for a message board, but probably not one with rules that we’ve agreed to abide by here.

I won’t belabour the point, other than to say a senior moderator of this board responded.

Tomorrow will be lighter. I’ll leave this here:

Bell Let’s Talk

A snippet:

One of the biggest hurdles for anyone struggling with mental illness is overcoming the stigma attached to it. Talking is an important first step towards lasting change. The annual Bell Let’s Talk Day and awareness campaign has become the world’s largest conversation about mental health, encouraging Canadians and people around the world to talk and take action to help reduce stigma and promote awareness and understanding so everyone can get the help they need.

Just not the right place for it.
For you. And that’s okay.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Then stop posting about it. No one is forcing you to discuss it.

I'm replying to @NeelyDan's responses to me. Is that okay with you?

And I had to respond to you because you misconstrued my post.

And people wonder why some posters on here, won't touch this subject at all. It shouldn't be a surprise.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

And people wonder why some posters on here, won't touch this subject at all. It shouldn't be a surprise.

It was safe until you needlessly involved yourself in a mildly irresponsible manner. A lol belonged nowhere near this topic, and if it couldn’t be avoided., it needed qualification.

I disagree with you faulting the topic. That is what creates stigma.

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

You are posting on an open thread.

Grow up

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I won’t belabour the point, other than to say a senior moderator of this board responded.

Tomorrow will be lighter. I’ll leave this here:

Bell Let’s Talk

A snippet:

One of the biggest hurdles for anyone struggling with mental illness is overcoming the stigma attached to it. Talking is an important first step towards lasting change. The annual Bell Let’s Talk Day and awareness campaign has become the world’s largest conversation about mental health, encouraging Canadians and people around the world to talk and take action to help reduce stigma and promote awareness and understanding so everyone can get the help they need.

For you. And that’s okay.

You asked a question. I answered your question with my POV. My intention was to pass on by as you suggested folks do who didn’t want to reply, but you seemed to truly want insight as to why some folks may not think this is the best forum for that discussion. So I engaged and provided my opinion. No need for talk about tomorrow being lighter - just because folks aren’t responding the way you’d hoped doesn’t make the ensuing conversation less valuable, IMO.

Senior moderators participate in conversations that eventually get shut down all the time. I’d bet a mortgage payment this would go into religion and right to die laws and would get shut down eventually.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You asked a question. I answered your question with my POV. My intention was to pass on by as you suggested folks do who didn’t want to reply, but you seemed to truly want insight as to why some folks may not think this is the best forum for that discussion. So I engaged and provided my opinion. No need for talk about tomorrow being lighter - just because folks aren’t responding the way you’d hoped doesn’t make the ensuing conversation less valuable, IMO.

Senior moderators participate in conversations that eventually get shut down all the time. I’d bet a mortgage payment this would go into religion and right to die laws and would get shut down eventually.

BINGO. You hit the nail on the head.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Today's been a heavy day for so many of us. I went to a funeral this morning and others have posted about other conflicts, worries and sadness they are experiencing.

I hope this guy makes you smile

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

I’m not coming at you, Kate.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It was safe until you needlessly involved yourself in a mildly irresponsible manner. A lol belonged nowhere near this topic, and if it couldn’t be avoided., it needed qualification.

I disagree with you faulting the topic. That is what creates stigma.

The LOL once again was the gif essentially saying without saying that Mike wasn't going to participate in the topic, hence the gif. Nothing malicious by it. This topic is already going off the rails. And you wonder why again people don't want to participate openly. I PMed you.

You are posting on an open thread.

Grow up

You're being rude for no reason, Susan.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Why is that? And why is it funny? We’re about tearing down stigma here
Well here goes, I have had a medical condition for some years now and suffered a setback this past October. I went into a deep depression over it on top of the physical reaction. I couldn't see any resolution and thought "this ain't for me no more" and i took two nearly full bottles of pain pills I had been prescribed but had hardly ever taken. My son found me the next day and I was taken by rescue to the hospital where I spent five days in ICU on a ventilator. I
spent another week in the hospital, then a week at the psych hospital. I was in a locked unit with some severely disturbed patients, and it was an eye opening experience as to the frailty of humans and their mental health. I worked with my therapist every day. His first question each day was "What is your goal for today" and my answer was always "To get out of here". At the end he said "your not crazy, you were trying to escape your physical pain". But we agreed I should have reached out to those around me but I could not see past my own pain. The pain and horror I caused my son and my family are still raw in my mind. But I'm still here and very fortunate. If anyone is going through anything at all like this, please reach out and talk to someone. I assure you that you have so many people on your side that are willing to listen and help. All you have to do is ask.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Today's been a heavy day for so many of us. I went to a funeral this morning and others have posted about other conflicts, worries and sadness they are experiencing.

I hope this guy makes you smile

I am unabashedly a 40-year old woman that loves Elmo. He makes me smile.

When he asked how people were doing yesterday on social, some of the responses were freaking incredible.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Well here goes, I have had a medical condition for some years now and suffered a setback this past October. I went into a deep depression over it on top of the physical reaction. I couldn't see any resolution and thought "this ain't for me no more" and i took two nearly full bottles of pain pills I had been prescribed but had hardly ever taken. My son found me the next day and I was taken by rescue to the hospital where I spent five days in ICU on a ventilator. I
spent another week in the hospital, then a week at the psych hospital. I was in a locked unit with some severely disturbed patients, and it was an eye opening experience as to the frailty of humans and their mental health. I worked with my therapist every day. His first question each day was "What is your goal for today" and my answer was always "To get out of here". At the end he said "your not crazy, you were trying to escape your physical pain". But we agreed I should have reached out to those around me but I could not see past my own pain. The pain and horror I caused my son and my family are still raw in my mind. But I'm still here and very fortunate. If anyone is going through anything at all like this, please reach out and talk to someone. I assure you that you have so many people on your side that are willing to listen and help. All you have to do is ask.

Incredible strength sharing your story. We’re glad you’re here!

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I admire your strength a great deal friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad