OT: Off Topic Thread-It's raining...AGAIN......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Even with an occasionally leaky basement, I will take rain and 70 over blazing sun, humidity and 99 degrees any day of the week.

...and yes, I'm still sitting here waiting for my appointment. Does that 10 minutes rule we had in school regarding late teachers apply to the adult world?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Even with an occasionally leaky basement, I will take rain and 70 over blazing sun, humidity and 99 degrees any day of the week.

...and yes, I'm still sitting here waiting for my appointment. Does that 10 minutes rule we had in school regarding late teachers apply to the adult world?

The weather here has been strange all day- first the sky darkens like we're going to get a t-storm, then it clears up & the sun shines for all of 30 seconds. Repeat.

Weird. But it proves the old saying about New England weather- "if you don't like it wait a few minutes and it will change" :nod:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Just out for a walk. It started pouring (luckily we had umbrellas) and then the sun came out while it was raining. I looked around but no rainbow.

Going to the Sea Dogs game tonight so I hope no more rain.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I love the smell of a new thread

ApocalypseKilgore1.jpg

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
The last time the British royal family was interesting was when Charles II was chasing his mistresses around. All downhill since then.

Or when the paparazzi were running around France snapping pictures of Kate widdout no clothes on!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For Artemis

Regarding your post in the last OT thread regarding Elizabeth & Mary Tudor:

I will grant you that Elizabeth was a very capable Queen, quite possibly the best non-constitutional monarch England ever had. However her refusal to marry condemned the Tudors to extinction with the result that the throne went to the feckless Stuarts when she died. The first duty of any king/queen is to continue the dynasty & she failed to do that by her own choice.

You are spot on about Mary though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The last time the British royal family was interesting was when Charles II was chasing his mistresses around. All downhill since then.

Or when the paparazzi were running around France snapping pictures of Kate widdout no clothes on!

I like the cut of your jib...:laugh:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

I will grant you that Elizabeth was a very capable Queen, quite possibly the best non-constitutional monarch England ever had. However her refusal to marry condemned the Tudors to extinction with the result that the throne went to the feckless Stuarts when she died. The first duty of any king/queen is to continue the dynasty & she failed to do that by her own choice.

Well, as a Stuart ( Actually a Stewart) I take exception to that!! :rant:

That said:

Land of Hope and Gloria,
Land of my Victoria.... :bb:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just out for a walk. It started pouring (luckily we had umbrellas) and then the sun came out while it was raining. I looked around but no rainbow.

Going to the Sea Dogs game tonight so I hope no more rain.

I want a Cecchini report - I have a man/girl crush on him that reserved only for Sobotka and Knight and Kate08

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Last topic weren't some of the female members complaining about creepers? Better the HF perverted creepers than

halloween-michael-myers-clothesline.jpg

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I don't know - if she'd married, she would have had to cede power, and I don't think there were really any capable candidates to cede power TO, not for the best interests of England. I think she ended up doing what was best, given the (non)options.

The same criticism could be leveled against Charles II, whose wife was barren.

And who knows, Elizabeth - or Charles - could have ended up with idiot children, or Elizabeth could have died in childbirth, the latter of which especially would have left England in chaos.

All of which of course underlines the silliness of monarchy as a system of government. It's a total genetic crapshoot. :laugh:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Tsar Nicholas II would agree!

Too true, though if Catherine the Great's son hadn't changed Russian law so female issue couldn't rule, we might have papparazzi chasing around the Russian royals today. (Nicholas's two oldest daughters were very intelligent and capable).

Amazing that seemingly insignificant actions can have such massive effects on history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad