OT: Off-Topic Thread:Can start to smell that muddy smell...Oh Yes it's Springtime!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I know it's emotional, but there was nothing wrong with that Times piece. There are people right here who said they are conflicted. They didn't say everyone was conflicted in that article. And stop trying to make it a New York vs Boston thing. There were a couple of national articles too. It was a totally thoughtful piece that if you step back from the emotion of it wasn't ******** on anyone.

And I support the DP in this case, so you can save that too.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
For what it is...a post-apocalyptic action flick, "Fury Road" is at the top of the food chain. "Nice visuals" and "non-stop action and stunts" is pretty much what I want out of an "action" movie, and yet you try to make it sound like a bad thing :laugh:

For people who are looking for a great action flick, go see "Fury Road". Those of you who want to see a Merchant-Ivory film, it may not be your cup of tea...

This is my problem with it. I have no trouble separating the Oscar movies from the popcorn fare. This is exactly the type of movie I expect from 90% of those released from May through Labor Day. The problem with this particular one is, everyone wants to say it's groundbreaking and the best ever at what it does. Not even close IMO. It's got great action and stunts and decent visuals. Does it do these things better than every other movie of its type that came before it? Nah. It does them well and it's a decent movie, but it's not head and shoulders better than them. For recent movies in this genre, Oblivion is probably at the head of the class for me if we're talking strictly visual appeal.

Mad Max a nice movie with some decent qualities that simply steals quite a bit from the original set of Mad Max movies, which is fine, along with elements of similar genre films like The Book of Eli and Waterworld. Nothing wrong with that, and it's an enjoyable movie. It's just not something groundbreaking IMO like most critics and audience members are trying to make everyone believe.

ps If you are looking for action, do yourself a favor and rent/buy "John Wick". Another great action movie with a thin plot, which doesn't really matter when the movie is moving at the speed of sound :D

Completely agreed. Loved that movie.....along with The Equalizer. Fun movies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is my problem with it. I have no trouble separating the Oscar movies from the popcorn fare. This is exactly the type of movie I expect from 90% of those released from May through Labor Day. The problem with this particular one is, everyone wants to say it's groundbreaking and the best ever at what it does. Not even close IMO. It's got great action and stunts and decent visuals. Does it do these things better than every other movie of its type that came before it? Nah. It does them well and it's a decent movie, but it's not head and shoulders better than them. For recent movies in this genre, Oblivion is probably at the head of the class for me if we're talking strictly visual appeal.

Mad Max a nice movie with some decent qualities that simply steals quite a bit from the original set of Mad Max movies, which is fine, along with elements of similar genre films like The Book of Eli and Waterworld. Nothing wrong with that, and it's an enjoyable movie. It's just not something groundbreaking IMO like most critics and audience members are trying to make everyone believe.

Completely agreed. Loved that movie.....along with The Equalizer. Fun movies.

Well, George Miller directed Fury Road as well as the other Mad Max movies, so it's not surprising that there are similarities. Miller pretty much invented the post-apocalypse genre with the Road Warrior and took it up a notch with Fury Road imo.

We will have to agree to disagree about the merit of Fury Road. It's not easy making a great action film, otherwise there would be a lot more of them and this film would be getting far less accolades. I liked "Book of Eli" a lot, but it is a completely different type of film than Fury Road, and mentioning Waterworld in the same sentence with any of the Max films (except maybe ThunderDome) is pure sacrilege.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I liked "Book of Eli" a lot, but it is a completely different type of film than Fury Road, and mentioning Waterworld in the same sentence with any of the Max films (except maybe ThunderDome) is pure sacrilege.

I'm not saying they're the same movie or even similar quality. I'm saying he lifted elements (and entire scenes - the damsel in distress traps were the most glaring) from those movies. It happens. It's tough to be completely original these days. We've pretty much seen it all.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
No spoilers but that Mad Men finale left me feeling meh. Typical Weiner, but I think if we elminated that dumb waitress plot we saw this season, and wasting time on Megan, we could of done a lot more. And that's fustrating. I did love what they did with Joan and Peggy. Also, Don and Betty have my heart forever.

As for GOT. I knew they were going down the Jeyne Poole line, and I am disgusted they did that to ___. No, it doesn't happen in the books, and I know the show isn't following them persay. But this didnt need to happen and I am disgusted by it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm so sorry for your loss Wally. *Hugs Wally*

It's so unfair- beating cancer and then having your heart quit. Sometimes the treatment really is tougher than the disease.

:(

A heart attack is not a heart that quit or a weak heart. It's a normal heart muscle with plaque in its arteries that ruptures and the body attacks it,closing off blood flow.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No spoilers but that Mad Men finale left me feeling meh. Typical Weiner, but I think if we elminated that dumb waitress plot we saw this season, and wasting time on Megan, we could of done a lot more. And that's fustrating. I did love what they did with Joan and Peggy. Also, Don and Betty have my heart forever.

As for GOT. I knew they were going down the Jeyne Poole line, and I am disgusted they did that to ___. No, it doesn't happen in the books, and I know the show isn't following them persay. But this didnt need to happen and I am disgusted by it.

Yeah, they've really turned her character into a punching bag on that show. Crazy.

Was also disturbed by this week's Outlander. No clue why they had to go down that path at all...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Well, George Miller directed Fury Road as well as the other Mad Max movies, so it's not surprising that there are similarities. Miller pretty much invented the post-apocalypse genre with the Road Warrior and took it up a notch with Fury Road imo.

We will have to agree to disagree about the merit of Fury Road. It's not easy making a great action film, otherwise there would be a lot more of them and this film would be getting far less accolades. I liked "Book of Eli" a lot, but it is a completely different type of film than Fury Road, and mentioning Waterworld in the same sentence with any of the Max films (except maybe ThunderDome) is pure sacrilege.

I like all of them . Including Waterworld.
cant wait to see this new Mad Max movie though. maybe this weekend.

Did you ever see 'A Boy and His Dog'?
Thats a bit out there.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Wasn't trying to be a wiseass but it's common to believe heart attacks happen to sick people with weak hearts. Heart attacks happen to fit people with seemingly healthy and strong hearts. Dave McGilvray of the Boston Marathon has heart disease and could have had a heart attack and still might if he hasn't changed his habits.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wasn't trying to be a wiseass but it's common to believe heart attacks happen to sick people with weak hearts. Heart attacks happen to fit people with seemingly healthy and strong hearts. Dave McGilvray of the Boston Marathon has heart disease and could have had a heart attack and still might if he hasn't changed his habits.

I agree with you in regard to both your and my own case/history.

My friends was ultimately caused by host-graft disease effects from stem cell transplant. Coupled with chemo effects. Just for clarity.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Live your life.

Dont 'pass the time'. But truly live it. Every minute of it. Its precious.

My best friend passed away last night. We've worked together over two companies for thirty years. Saw each other every day for thirty years. Shared everything in life you can imagine. Births, deaths, drunken weekends and aging.
He has had cancer since 2009. Fought it like crazy. Cant remember how many chemo therapies he went through. Stem cell transplants. Host graft disease. Everything. As of this July he would be in total remission for a year. Thursday we planned a guys getaway weekend to celebrate and raise as much hell as two old guys can raise.
Forty eight hours later Jim is dead. Gone.
A ****ing heart attack. After beating cancer , a ****ing heart attack. Hows that for a kick in the ass.

So kid, with all my heart I tell you live life. Live it.

Warm thoughts to you in your time of loss.

and ditto what you said...practice kindness, practice love and dont for get to share it

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I agree with you in regard to both your and my own case/history.

My friends was ultimately caused by host-graft disease effects from stem cell transplant. Coupled with chemo effects. Just for clarity.

It was heart failure and not heart attack?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I like all of them . Including Waterworld.
cant wait to see this new Mad Max movie though. maybe this weekend.

Did you ever see 'A Boy and His Dog'?
Thats a bit out there.

G-Dub, if you liked all of those, you are certainly in for a treat with Fury Road.

And I have seen "A Boy and His Dog", only a couple of years ago on Showtime or Cinemax I think. It was definitely out there and starred a young Sonny Crockett before he ever went to Miami and partnered up with Rico Tubbs :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Talk show fraud Bill Oreilly beat his wife and his teenage daughter witnessed him dragging mother down stairs by neck and there is a great story on revenge on her police officer BF using favors and money raised to the police department to get him.

Well it could have been worse Bill. You could have been suspected of deflating footballs.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hi everyone, just thought I'd check in after my long hiatus. I've had a lot going on. But things have turned the corner and I'm headed in the right direction again. Today was day one of my new job, which is part of it. I'm hoping to not be such a stranger here as well.

Oh, and Wally, I'm sorry for your loss. my sincerest condolences.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
For you Outlander folks - starting 2pm this Saturday on Starz - replaying the whole series leading up to the final episode -

The scene in the first episode where Frank passes Jamie's ghost is absolutely eerie - I LOVE IT!!!!

Clean out those DVRs -

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hi everyone, just thought I'd check in after my long hiatus. I've had a lot going on. But things have turned the corner and I'm headed in the right direction again. Today was day one of my new job, which is part of it. I'm hoping to not be such a stranger here as well.

Oh, and Wally, I'm sorry for your loss. my sincerest condolences.

Hey Trevor! Great to see you back in here posting. Hope all is okay with you!! Congrats on the new gig, I'm sure you'll kill it!

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Sorry about your buddy, Wally. That sucks.

On a happier note, I just returned from the Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Contest with a 1st Place trophy for Best Sauce!

:devdance:

Ow! patting myself on the back hurts! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad