OT: Off-Topic Thread:Can start to smell that muddy smell...Oh Yes it's Springtime!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
So what do you do when you hit your late 20's/early 30's and none of the things that used to interest you hold your attention anymore?

try Adderal, jk

Your young, do something exciting and learn about yourself!!!

head to Peru and experience some Ayahuasca.

save a a bunch of $$$ and travel to all our National Parks

quit drinking alcohol or start drinking alcohol - either will guarantee an abrupt change

go to or back to college

learn a new sport and play/do it obsessively (surfing, fencing, hockey ???)

start hanging out with different types of people and places

spend more time outside

do something that scares the s*** out of you

get a dog

stop watching tv, except Bs games obviously

do something extremely nice for someone else without expectation of reciprocation

volunteer your time somewhere - gain perspective

Most of all, its been my experience that finding a new passion in life or for life is very difficult if you are stubborn or short sighted. Anything is possible. The Universe will conspire to help you once you make a decision to try something new.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So what do you do when you hit your late 20's/early 30's and none of the things that used to interest you hold your attention anymore?

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'd been toying with going back to school for a few years so I decided last summer to go back for my Masters. It's been great so far. Not only am I learning and networking but I'm also expanding my social circle outside of hockey/sports which has been enlightening.

Not sure if class would be an option for you but that's all I got.

BruinsFuse

Sep 21, 2007
Halifax, NS
April 1st 2014, played my first round of golf of the season

April 1st, 2015....XBox golf only:(

It is looking like a VERY late opening for our courses this season. I have been told that I won't be back to work until sometime in May. Hard to believe we were golfing this time last year here. :cry:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I went back to school (again) this past fall to work on my 2nd masters so that I cn get certified to teach. I had been bouncing from one dead end job to the next since I graduated in the spring of 2012.

Quit drinking: check

The only TV I watch is hockey. I don't like any shows outside of some of the HBO stuff like True Detective and The Leftovers. I feel like I watch the same handful of movies, but there are only a few movies each year that come out which I genuinely enjoy.

I'm going to start hitting up some flea markets again this spring to collect some more classic video games. I'd love to travel if my wife could get some time off to do so.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I went back to school (again) this past fall to work on my 2nd masters so that I cn get certified to teach. I had been bouncing from one dead end job to the next since I graduated in the spring of 2012.

Quit drinking: check

The only TV I watch is hockey. I don't like any shows outside of some of the HBO stuff like True Detective and The Leftovers. I feel like I watch the same handful of movies, but there are only a few movies each year that come out which I genuinely enjoy.

I'm going to start hitting up some flea markets again this spring to collect some more classic video games. I'd love to travel if my wife could get some time off to do so.

that was like me.
i only watch hockey.
and i play roller hockey twice a week.
that was all i did.
got boring.

had to get out of the house.

you gotta start going on trips with the wife.
go hiking and camp outside.
spend a weekend somewhere diffrrent.
or if you want kids. have a kid. that will change everything.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Gotta get out of your comfort zone for self growth. Like George Constanza said,"I will do the opposite!"

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Is it possible you have some seasonal depression? Or is your diet horrible (lots of sugars/carbs)? I'm not advocating for meds or diets just curious.

If I don't go snowboarding a bunch and continue to walk my dogs for an hour daily outside the winter will turn me whacky. Being outside in nature doing something I enjoy has always helped to keep me feeling well no matter what (surfing, snowboarding, hiking, dog walks, etc). Also, cooking really is a calming influence for some strange reason. Everything from getting the groceries, cooking, photos of food (yes, I'm that guy), eating healthy.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Is it possible you have some seasonal depression? Or is your diet horrible (sugars, carbs). I'm not advocating for meds or diets just curious.

If I don't go snowboarding a bunch and continue to walk my dogs for an hour daily outside the winter will turn me whacky. Being outside in nature doing something I enjoy has always helped to keep me feeling well no matter what (surfing, snowboarding, hiking, dog walks, etc). Also, cooking really is a calming influence for some strange reason. Everything from getting the groceries, cooking, photos of food (yes, I'm that guy), eating healthy.

I definitely have some signs of SAD. Nowhere near as bad as it used to be, though.

I wish I had hockey more than one night a week.

I am pretty obsessive about diet and exercise. It absolutely makes a difference.
We did some skiing this winter. I'm thinking the warmer weather should help. We like going down to the Fisher Cats and sitting outside. Definitely have to do some camping this summer. She and I camped out a few times when we first started dating, but that was over 7 years ago and we keep saying we're going to go again, but never get around to it.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Just found out the company I work for is being bought by the investment managment firm that owns the St. Louis Blues.

Is it a conflict of interest for me to work here now?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Like what specifically.

I've definitely lost interest in a lot of the stupid stuff that used to amuse me, and a lot of the bigger hobbies I have, I've definitely found less and less time to dedicate to them (guitar/band, videogames).

My problem is, I work 5 days a week, but those hours and days vary week to week, so some days I'll have the weekend off which is great, or some weeks I'll have a random Monday and Thursday off, which sucks because I inevitably just sit around doing nothing because I'm tired.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Just found out the company I work for is being bought by the investment managment firm that owns the St. Louis Blues.

Is it a conflict of interest for me to work here now?

If they're heavily connected with St. Louis in general it certainly cuts down on the choices of local sports hero posters for your cubicle/office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad