Off-Topic Chat Thread

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
would i get infracted if i tried to turn this thread into a top ten guitar-rock albums of the 60s poll?

I believe you might, yes.... worse still if you then decided to compare oh, lets say Pink Floyds Piper at the Gates of Dawn... Meddle or even Dark Side of the Moon, the Yes Album, Fragile or Close to the Edge, ELP Brain Salad or Tarkus or whomever whatever with post progressive rock bands & albums released over the past 20yrs be it the 2018 releases of the brilliant Mythic Sunships Upheavel or The Somali Yacht Clubs The Sea, Porcupine Tree or God is an Astronaut etc etc declaring them superior to the best from the 60's, 70's... and a damn good case easily made however.... I'm afraid simply light the fuse on further accusations of ageism, the impossibility of cross-generational comparisons so no... my advice would be dont start with it.... HOWEVER..... as Mike Bossy did post playing career host (might still, any Montrealers here?) CHOM FM's Electric Lunch, progressive rock of the 60's & 70's... I'd be willing to bet well versed & knowledgeable on such matters.... and as this threads "all about Mike" I'm sure he'd appreciate just such a debate, honored in fact.... go for it. :)

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Anyone here who likes old New Orleans R 'n' B/funk like Professor Longhair (my avatar), Earl King, Dr. John, the Meters, etc?

I don't know why it is, but the older I get, the simpler and more 'groovy' (rather than melodic) music I like. Maybe it's because nowadays I mostly listen to music when I'm tipsy, heh heh, and in that state of mind you just rather listen to Little Richard or James Brown than Focus or Yes (but I like them too).

I like that album, but no. Just no.

Abbey Road is in my top 3 albums of all-time... firmly.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Does anyone here like random and weird statistics? I mean the kind that does not really have any meaning but feel pleasing to a guy that finds kinda beauty in numbers and such. I started thinking about this after Flames scored 9 against Columbus this season, after giving up 9 against Pens earlier. Another Flames poster found out that Habs scored 10 and allowed 10 in another game in 2016. I mean that's not a record really but just something to do with numbers that I find pleasing and pay attention to :laugh:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
would i get infracted if i tried to turn this thread into a top ten guitar-rock albums of the 60s poll?

This reminds me of something I bring up with new people I meet, I call it the desert island question.

Suppose you are on a desert island for the rest of your life and all of your needs are met, except for social ones, no cell, no tv, cable ect..

What you do have is one kiss ass juke box stereophonic system that you can choose, the only caveat is that you can only have the entire playlists of 5 artists and that you can play them randomly and you have to listen to all of the titles.

The best example I can think of is that if one picks, say the Rolling Stones, they must listen to dancing in the streets and emotional rescue and not just their early catalog.

Most people pick large catalogs and have their one or two favorite bands of all time, usually a teen and adult time period frame but then it gets difficult mainly because we live in an excess society and it's hard to limit ourselves.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Does anyone here like random and weird statistics? I mean the kind that does not really have any meaning but feel pleasing to a guy that finds kinda beauty in numbers and such. I started thinking about this after Flames scored 9 against Columbus this season, after giving up 9 against Pens earlier. Another Flames poster found out that Habs scored 10 and allowed 10 in another game in 2016. I mean that's not a record really but just something to do with numbers that I find pleasing and pay attention to :laugh:

... those are the only ones I really pay attention to actually.... like for example.... did you know that the 1929/30 Boston Bruins still hold the record for Winning % in Regular Season Wins?.... Astonishing .875... winning 38 in a 44 game RS Schedule..... Dit Clapper, Eddie Shore & Co.... or Mike Babcock who we all know as a great Coach right?.... well, as a Player-Coach in 87/88, in a 36 RS Game Schedule with the British League's (granted not the greatest league but still) Whitley Warriors he scored 34 goals, Assisted on 98 while wracking up 88 PIM's and if we add the 5 Playoff Games to his stats where he scored 4 Goals, Assisted on 11 others while receiving 21PIM's well.... pretty crazy... or that Theo Fleury holds the record as the only player to ever score a Shorthanded Hat Trick in a single game..... that Wayne & Brent Gretzky hold the record for most points in the NHL by brothers.... Wayne with 2857.... Brent with 4. :(

Reactions: Tarantula and Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
... those are the only ones I really pay attention to actually.... like for example.... did you know that the 1929/30 Boston Bruins still hold the record for Winning % in Regular Season Wins?.... Astonishing .875... winning 38 in a 44 game RS Schedule..... Dit Clapper, Eddie Shore & Co.... or Mike Babcock who we all know as a great Coach right?.... well, as a Player-Coach in 87/88, in a 36 RS Game Schedule with the British League's (granted not the greatest league but still) Whitley Warriors he scored 34 goals, Assisted on 98 while wracking up 88 PIM's and if we add the 5 Playoff Games to his stats where he scored 4 Goals, Assisted on 11 others while receiving 21PIM's well.... pretty crazy... or that Theo Fleury holds the record as the only player to ever score a Shorthanded Hat Trick in a single game..... that Wayne & Brent Gretzky hold the record for most points in the NHL by brothers.... Wayne with 2857.... Brent with 4. :(

That Gretzky brothers trivia is one of my favourites. As well as this a bit tricky question of "How many goals did Gretzky score in his worst season?"

1 goal, in his first season in some junior league as a 6 year old or something. I read a Gretzky biography sometimes in the late 80's or early 90's where this was mentioned as a good trivia question. It didnt say professional season,right? ;)

Esa Pirnes is a quite well-known (in Finland) Finnish player, long career in Finnish League, NT, and Europe. Short NHL career, but he had two chanches to score his first NHL goal in a penalty shot with Kings around 2003 or so, failed with both attempts.
Esa Pirnes at eliteprospects.com

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Alcohol Anonymous and the likes freak me out a bit, and I've known a lot of addicts in my life that went to such rehabs, including crack addicts.Crack is the only drug which has no redeeming quality to it, it just sucks the life and soul of whoever falls prey to it and spits out a crack-hungry zombie in its place.I saw some people coming out of an AA-like rehab after several months looking brainwashed, like they entered a sect and came out to spread the message robotically.The "higher power" stuff.We said nothing since it's still better than being a crack head.

I could write forever about this stuff, or just about alcohol and drugs stories from my past in general.

Edit: I see now that the AA discussion dates from last year.Oops.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Esa Pirnes is a quite well-known (in Finland) Finnish player, long career in Finnish League, NT, and Europe. Short NHL career, but he had two chanches to score his first NHL goal in a penalty shot with Kings around 2003 or so, failed with both attempts.

One was against an 18 year old Marc-Andre Fleury in Fleury's NHL debut. I remember that game fondly...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That Gretzky brothers trivia is one of my favourites. As well as this a bit tricky question of "How many goals did Gretzky score in his worst season?"

1 goal, in his first season in some junior league as a 6 year old or something. I read a Gretzky biography sometimes in the late 80's or early 90's where this was mentioned as a good trivia question. It didnt say professional season,right? ;)

Esa Pirnes at eliteprospects.com

Colorado is the only team to have won every SC Final Series in which theyve played..... Tom Barrasso holds the record for most points by a Goaltender All Time with 48.... Randy Carlyle, Rob Blake & Nik Lidstrom all won the Norris with - Ratings..... Ray Bourque holds the all time record for Shots on Goal with 6,206; next highest is Jagr at 5,424.... that Larry Robinson holds the all time +/- Rating (full career) with an amazing +730. Orr second at +597 and only 5 others topping +500.... Bobby & Brett Hull had the same P/PG..... Ryan Donato has a higher P/PG than any other player in NHL History... Joey Juneau has the most points of any Rookie with an aeronautical engineering degree..... you want more Kahvi? :)

Reactions: Kahvi

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... ok... one more... if Wayne Gretzky had never scored a single
goal in his entire career... he'd still be #1 in Points ALL TIME. :eek:

Reactions: Kahvi

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Alcohol Anonymous and the likes freak me out a bit, and I've known a lot of addicts in my life that went to such rehabs, including crack addicts.Crack is the only drug which has no redeeming quality to it, it just sucks the life and soul of whoever falls prey to it and spits out a crack-hungry zombie in its place.I saw some people coming out of an AA-like rehab after several months looking brainwashed, like they entered a sect and came out to spread the message robotically.The "higher power" stuff.We said nothing since it's still better than being a crack head.

I could write forever about this stuff, or just about alcohol and drugs stories from my past in general.

I once posted a write-up on the moderators board about AA and how dubious and outdated their method is. I see if I can still find it.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Another one about Finnish players. Back in the early 90's the only way to follow NHL daily was to open teletext every morning to check scores and Finnish players stats. This is a thing I bet every Finnish NHL fan here remembers. Anyway, Jarno Kultanen was one of those random players that had a short NHL career, with 102 games and 2+11 points with the Bruins over 3 seasons. But he did get 3 assists in his first game, so 1 game 0+3 and 101 games with 2+8

The reason I remember this that I did check the scores on that morning and was really surprised to see Kultanen with three assists in his first game

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I once posted a write-up on the moderators board about AA and how dubious and outdated their method is. I see if I can still find it.

Yes, post it if you find it.Sounds interesting.

Still, AA worked for some people with a severe problem.I can respect that if some people found their crutch there so they can walk in life again.

There are also a lot of people addicted to benzodiazepines like rivotril or ativan and the likes, over-prescribed by incompetent doctors instantly to anyone with a complaint of anxiety.This stuff is like alcohol and very addictive.Hardly an appropriate medication for someone with anxiety (unless it's a one shot deal during a big panic attack) or worse, someone with an alcohol problem (unless it's temporary during the taper off period).

Last edited:

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, post it if you find it.Sounds interesting.

Still, AA worked for some people with a severe problem.I can respect that if some people found their crutch there so they can walk in life again.

There are also a lot of people addicted to benzodiazepines like rivotril or ativan and the likes, over-prescribed by incompetent doctors instantly to anyone with a complaint of anxiety.This stuff is like alcohol and very addictive.Hardly an appropriate medication for someone with anxiety (unless it's a one shot deal during a big panic attack) or worse, someone with an alcohol problem (unless it's temporary during the taper off period).

I've had my fair share of alcohol problems and I've promised myself to never ever touch benzo. That stuff is devilish from what I've read.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Ah, ok.... looks like prolly Theo changed the title to "OT" so fair game and.... interesting selection vs..... Fairport Convention one of the more influential bands of the 60's with their roots in Celtic, English & Scottish, Irish folk (also influenced by the likes of Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell & the Byrds, the Strawbs & Pentangle etc) music as opposed to their more famous British Invasion counterparts with their roots in American Blues, Rockabilly & Bop etc. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull fame names the album youve linked as one of his favorites all-time, influencing his writing & compositions to some extent....

Richard Thompson, early Lead Guitarist with Fairport Convention had earlier (1964) formed a band called Emil & the Detectives, teaching his schoolmate, a 15yr old Hugh Cornwell how to play bass, though Hugh eventually picked up the guitar and formed The Stranglers, a cross-over Punk/New Wave band that made a fair amount of noise in the 70's & 80's and who influenced a considerable number of acts like the Clash & others.... Quite the diversity, real hothouse type effect generated by various members of Fairport Convention over the years for sure.... a band that last time I checked was still playing live, active & fairly heavy schedule throughout the UK. Been around now for 51yrs.

Versatility was key to this entire generation of musicians on both sides of the pond, had to have an open ear & open mind with bands like Fairport Convention (and others) giving birth in many ways to all thats followed, themselves of course borrowing from the past, multi-genres, reinvention... Heres my favorite Stranglers tune, eclectic, eccentric, quirky.... the original followed by a more recent re-make with Hugh backed by a Mariachi Band..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAsI3U2EaE / www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy8Y3R4dXyc .....

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This reminds me of something I bring up with new people I meet, I call it the desert island question.

Suppose you are on a desert island for the rest of your life and all of your needs are met, except for social ones, no cell, no tv, cable ect..

What you do have is one kiss ass juke box stereophonic system that you can choose, the only caveat is that you can only have the entire playlists of 5 artists and that you can play them randomly and you have to listen to all of the titles.

The best example I can think of is that if one picks, say the Rolling Stones, they must listen to dancing in the streets and emotional rescue and not just their early catalog.

Most people pick large catalogs and have their one or two favorite bands of all time, usually a teen and adult time period frame but then it gets difficult mainly because we live in an excess society and it's hard to limit ourselves.

Well I'd choose the rolling Stones for such an exercise, no doubt. For the record, dancing in the streets was not part of the stones' discography.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, that was a Jagger/Bowie deal...in the 80's the Stones split up ("we were on a break!") and did some solo stuff...after a very successful Tattoo You tour in 1981...they wouldn't tour again until Steel Wheels in 1989 (which I think had some concerts available via pay-per-view in the States)...they released probably their worst effort (Dirty Work) in 1986 but didn't even back it with a tour. I think the only song from that album that was ever even used in concert was "One Hit" which comes with one of the most 80's music videos of all time...come to think of it, I may have heard a live version of "Harlem Shuffle" by accident once upon a time, but that could have been a bad dream...

They put out Undercover in 1983, but it was really just garbage out takes of previous recording sessions...probably the album I have listened to the least as I forget it exists and I recently passed it with "Their Satanic Majesties Request" which is their lone attempt at psychedelic rock...I didn't understand it the first few times, but recently, I've started to get it...it needs context...

If you work your way into Emotional Rescue and don't mind the late 70's/early 80's club music that they tried to churn out ("Hot Stuff", "Hey Negrita", "Miss You"), it's pretty acceptable...if you skip from their peak (which I'll grant all the way up to IORR because of how strong that album starts) right up to Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You, it catches you a little off guard. Mick starts experimenting with different voice work and intonation pretty hard during Black and Blue (1976 - an album I hated until just recently, now very much enjoy)...

Black and Blue has a reggae influence (classic "Start Me Up" was first recorded in 1975 as a reggae song, before being used to kick off Tattoo You...and every sporting event in history apparently) and Billy Preston influence...Mick starts to investigate the falsetto (tail end of "Cherry Oh Baby", "Melody" and then plenty of "Fool to Cry") and this gravely growling ("Hand of Fate", "Melody", "Crazy Mama" and only the music video version of "Fool to Cry", but not the studio track, IIRC)

Thus...you end up with some different albums over the next few...punk/faster tunes (which Keith hated) during the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sessions, disco, plus the rock/southern blues/American county influences that they never quite leave behind)...

Considering how much ground they cover and how much diversity they offer, I'd take the Stones for this exercise quite easily...if that wasn't evident already haha

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm not really a classic rock guy but ftr let it never be said that i'm a beatles hater. it goes totally without saying that that's an incredible catalogue.

george was the cute one right?

3a4ce1dcf6414a3c305ea36473339bfb.jpg

(@3:25)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, that was a Jagger/Bowie deal...in the 80's the Stones split up ("we were on a break!") and did some solo stuff...after a very successful Tattoo You tour in 1981...they wouldn't tour again until Steel Wheels in 1989 (which I think had some concerts available via pay-per-view in the States)....

... thats right... and the Steel Wheels Tour & most that followed handled by Michael Cohl and his partner.... Bill Ballard..... Harolds son.... At that time I had office space directly across the hall from CPI in a rambling old loft style building down around King & I think it was Dufferin in Toronto & saw Billy fairly frequently in the hallway & in the adjoining bars, coffee shops etc. Interesting guy. Far from a Silver Spooner or Empty Suit.... CPI formed in 73 or so, loan provided by Harold, foothold in the Gardens obviously so they had a direct channel to all of the 'A' List bands, working with the Who, Pink Floyd etc. Not just in booking them into MLG's, but globally... and it didnt get much bigger than the Stones, Cohl I believe still handling all of their tours since.

Many will remember Bill Ballards play for the Leafs & the Gardens in the wake of Harolds death, late 80's when reputedly he "hauled off & kicked Yolanda in the stomach" according to Yolanda & Harold (absolute nonsense, Yolanda for those unfamiliar Harolds erstwhile "companion", a Trailer Park bottle blond ex-con with a mouth on her like a Sailors) & so on & so on. Harold loved Bills business & his friends in it, often regaling many a well known musician during all afternoon orgys of food & booze at the old Hot Stove Lounge at the Gardens & Harold, well, he ate & drank enough for 4 or 5 fully grown men. Never mind the gluttony of an Orson Welles or whomever. My. God.... As for Bill, lost his battle for control of the club & building to Stavros.... unfortunately died about 4yrs ago. Good guy. Smart as a whip. Wouldve actually made for a great owner of the Leafs, manager of the building. Hell of a lot better than what the long suffering fans in Toronto have had to put up with since.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad