OT: Off Topic 2018 part V - Getting older is not for the timid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Now I can share the real reason I did not go to Los Angeles for the World Series.

3 months ago during a routine eye exam at my local hospital, the ophthalmologist said I needed cataract surgery on my left eye which was not unexpected as I had been told a few years back I had a developing cataract. Something told me to seek a second opinion so I got a referral to Mass Eye and Ear which is considered one of the best clinics on the planet and my PCP wanted me to see a certain doctor who is HIGHLY respected. I got the first appointment available and it was 10/25 and when I called last week to try and reschedule we were looking at March so .......

Before I even saw the doctor I had three tests done and when I saw him he told me to take a FOURTH test :help: and he said I was an interesting case. That was a little unnerving to hear.

44753659_10216334874777199_3169823354941079552_n.jpg

This Doctor has an impressive resume.

Scott Greenstein, M.D., FACS | Mass. Eye and Ear

What he found was I had dry macular degeneration in the left eye and the cataract was not the issue. He was astonished that my previous 2 eye doctors had missed this.

Short term it is not a big deal and he gave me a new script for glasses but told me over the next few years it will get worse and there is NO WAY to treat it. He said what makes my case peculiar is my right eve has now corrected itself to 20/20. He said I could do the surgery and give you a new lens but it would be useless (using a camera as an example ) if the film is no good.

He said it is most likely genetic.

Obviously in my line of work vision is important and to learn in a few years I might not be able to read is unnerving.

Mass Eye and Ear is rated in the Top 5 in the US and I have to accept the diagnose. :cry:

View attachment 149795
Just now seeing this. Sorry to hear, I'm sure it's scary, and especially in your line of work. But as has been said, there are medical improvements all the time, so who knows, it may be fixable or at least able to be improved in the near future. :)

All my life I've hated anyone messing with my eyes. Contact lenses... forget it. The old air puff test? Sorry doc, it'll take about twenty tries before you get me not to blink. I do well to put mascara on. :laugh:

Quite a few years ago I went to an eye doctor who offered the Optomap, which meant no eye dilation, hallelujah. When I moved to Tennessee, I found a great doc who also has the Optomap, as well as a machine to check your eyes that doesn't require an air puff. I will never go anywhere else. :thumbu:

Edit: CBS just did a story on the Optomap. I highly recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Thank the Maker Dooney and Bourke handbags have metal zippers or I would a broke*** Eightspokedb.....hate metal zippers....

But this one little bag is so preettttty.....
I have a pink one from years ago. I parted with it when we moved (moment of silence).

I like me some DB:thumbu:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I'm going to be doing some remote work for the church I worked for in Mass. I left almost two years ago.....the person who took over for me is trying to undo the info@ alias for the church from her own email. She couldnt get into the acct. My saved password didnt work either. I said...did you check with the D. of Op? Shes like...oh good idea I didnt ask him if he changed anything.

nice to see the communication hasnt changed there.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I’m more of a Kate Spade and Tory Burch girl than D&B.

It’s really a problem I have. At least I’m easy to buy gifts for.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I'm going to be doing some remote work for the church I worked for in Mass. I left almost two years ago.....the person who took over for me is trying to undo the info@ alias for the church from her own email. She couldnt get into the acct. My saved password didnt work either. I said...did you check with the D. of Op? Shes like...oh good idea I didnt ask him if he changed anything.

nice to see the communication hasnt changed there.

uh huh....and yep. he changed it.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I’m more of a Kate Spade and Tory Burch girl than D&B.

It’s really a problem I have. At least I’m easy to buy gifts for.
I am not a leather purse kinda girl...give me a great ballistic nylon small crossbody and I'm good. My favorite brand is a Seattle company named Tom Bihn....I was searching small east-west crossbody bags one night at work and their Side Effect popped up. 'Oh my' was my reaction and I was hooked.

If you become hooked don't blame me on your diminishing funds...just tell them Eightspokedb sent ya.....

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Sitting at Manchester airport about to leave for Las Vegas for work until Wednesday. Love the airport game, as I call it.
I know it well. Sounds like you just started travelling frequently. If you'll keep it up, you'll start to see some familiar faces in the terminal and at the gates. And you'll get to witness both the best and (well not quite) worst of humanity. Yesterday, we were a little late leaving Phoenix, meaning some peoples' connections got even tighter. Several times the flight attendants asked us to let them off to make their connects, and yesterday, everyone actually did. It was refreshing to see people sitting there while others rushed past. I guess sometimes it really is the little things. Have a safe flight.

Reactions: Kovi

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I am not a leather purse kinda girl...give me a great ballistic nylon small crossbody and I'm good. My favorite brand is a Seattle company named Tom Bihn....I was searching small east-west crossbody bags one night at work and their Side Effect popped up. 'Oh my' was my reaction and I was hooked.

If you become hooked don't blame me on your diminishing funds...just tell them Eightspokedb sent ya.....
Don't give @Kovi any ideas...

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
All purses on hold until we get the dining room table in place--for the 12 people we invited for Thanksgiving (before we bought a table. Ooops)

Reactions: Dr Hook

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
So sorry to hear about your Macular Degeneration Fenway.

My mother in law was diagnosed with macular degeneration a few years ago and somebody told her about a vitamin supplement called "Vitalux" which has lutein in it and has helped her eyesight.

I have also heard that some patients diagnosed with MD have had very positive results from CBD oil.

All the best to you Fenway and take care!

Reactions: Fenway and Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
All purses on hold until we get the dining room table in place--for the 12 people we invited for Thanksgiving (before we bought a table. Ooops)
Growing up we had a large dining room table that had half a dozen leaves that could be added to it. We had Thanksgiving at our house every year and it took every one of those leaves, but we got all the adults around the table. It could easily sit 16 people, as I recall. It wasn't necessarily a beautiful table, but very functional. Lots of good memories, which is the best part. Mom gave it to a family from church when she sold her house a few years ago. I would have taken it but it wouldn't exactly fit in my apartment. :laugh:

Reactions: Kovi and Chief Nine

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I know it well. Sounds like you just started travelling frequently. If you'll keep it up, you'll start to see some familiar faces in the terminal and at the gates. And you'll get to witness both the best and (well not quite) worst of humanity. Yesterday, we were a little late leaving Phoenix, meaning some peoples' connections got even tighter. Several times the flight attendants asked us to let them off to make their connects, and yesterday, everyone actually did. It was refreshing to see people sitting there while others rushed past. I guess sometimes it really is the little things. Have a safe flight.
Yup, me and my crew travel all around the country. Every week is, usually somewhere new.

Ive seen my share of shit, and also have a similar story that happened with a delayed flight where they asked everyone to stay seated because a lot of passengers had connecting flights... No one gave a f*** and my coworker and I missed our flight by like 2 minutes.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
But you still have a dining room set, amirite? There's a reason, we got it used. Nice, but still used.

We have one because my father in law got tired of seeing the twins ride their big wheels around in the room.

It’ll just be something to give away when we downsize. Along with the front formal living room that I have never sat in. I shit you not.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We have one because my father in law got tired of seeing the twins ride their big wheels around in the room.

It’ll just be something to give away when we downsize. Along with the front formal living room that I have never sat in. I **** you not.
That's why we decided to make that the Boston Sports Room. When the time comes, it'll be augmented by a TV that's too big for @Kovi 's liking. f*** that formal living room shit.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m a big fan of Vera Bradley and she has some beautiful leather cross body bags and totes.

My sister switched from the cloth ones to those and loves them.

Once I land a new job I’m going to the outlet in Wrentham to pick one of each up.

Reactions: eightspokedb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad