OT: Off Topic 2018 part II - Warm enough for ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Lobster puts me in the hospital. along with shrimp and crab. (and tuna)

love white fish. nom nom

It's strange- I'm a notoriously picky eater but I'll eat just about any kind of fish (except sushi & calamari). This week I had whole belly fried clams and they were to die for. Best $15 I've spent in a long time.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A hot, drawn butter lobster roll is the only way to eat one imo.

I had my first one last summer and it was to die for.

I love muscles, lobster and crab plus white fish.

I do not like scallops and shrimp.

Never had clams before (ducksfor cover)

Now I’m hungry

Reactions: Strafer

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bah you guys don't know what's good for you. And I'm really surprised you don't know about the aphrodisiac qualities of seafood, specifically oysters :naughty:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Bah you guys don't know what's good for you. And I'm really surprised you don't know about the aphrodisiac qualities of seafood, specifically oysters :naughty:

I've tried virtually every kind of seafood and have yet to find one that I'd willingly ingest a second time.

If it makes it any better, I also think that all wine tastes like vinegar. So I clearly have an uneducated/uncouth palate.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've tried virtually every kind of seafood and have yet to find one that I'd willingly ingest a second time.

If it makes it any better, I also think that all wine tastes like vinegar. So I clearly have an uneducated/uncouth palate.

Some wines do taste like vinegar so you're not exactly alone there.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I thought the same .....about wine. But after a few lessons with my nephew/Godson Robert I learned that they all aren't like that. As well as a good tasting wine doesn't have to be expensive.

Go here and ask for him:

Benedetto – Boston Magazine

He just won 'Best of Boston'.
Tell him Uncle Wally sent you.

Reactions: Strafer and sooshii

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I thought the same .....about wine. But after a few lessons with my nephew/Godson Robert I learned that they all aren't like that. As well as a good tasting wine doesn't have to be expensive.

Go here and ask for him:

Benedetto – Boston Magazine

He just won 'Best of Boston'.
Tell him Uncle Wally sent you.

Ha! Yeah, I've been through quite a few wine tastings over my life. I worked in a ton of restaurants through and after college, even when I had my first couple of jobs in my chosen profession. Despite trying all kinds of wine and being told what to notice, I did not. It's not the wine. It's me. I just don't taste any difference. :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2018-6-22_18-16-33.png

Arlington’s five-and-dime shop to close after 64 years; patrons bid bittersweet goodbye - The Boston Globe

Balich 5 & 10 has been open six days a week for 64 years, gaining a strong, loyal support system of familiar faces, but the rise of online sales and new neighborhood development in the last several years has slowly drained the homey variety store of its business, and Balich says it’s time to retire.

“I don’t have that many millennials shopping here to replace the older people,” he said. “I have a nice, older clientele, but I don’t have the younger people to continue it.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
View attachment 126379

Arlington’s five-and-dime shop to close after 64 years; patrons bid bittersweet goodbye - The Boston Globe

Balich 5 & 10 has been open six days a week for 64 years, gaining a strong, loyal support system of familiar faces, but the rise of online sales and new neighborhood development in the last several years has slowly drained the homey variety store of its business, and Balich says it’s time to retire.

“I don’t have that many millennials shopping here to replace the older people,” he said. “I have a nice, older clientele, but I don’t have the younger people to continue it.”

It was a great community store. When I was just a kid Id spend time at my cousin’s house in the Heights.
We’d walk to Balichs. Buy a Matchbox car. Then an ice cream cone at Brighams a few doors down.
Different era but great none the less.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

The truth of that night back in '99 when Dallas won the Cup may never be known, but by all accounts the Cup was dented when Guy Carbonneau attempted to toss it off Vinnie Paul's balcony into the swimming pool, but missed.

Vinnie Paul was still frequently seen at Stars' games, and was even interviewed on air the night of Jere Lehtinen's jersey retiring.

Pantera’s Vinnie Paul Honors Jere Lehtinen during 1st Intermission | Stars Live

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So on the seafood topic, having been born and raised in Maryland, I am all about Maryland crab. Lump crab cakes (meaning huge chunks of crab meat barely held together by breading), cream of crab soup....yum.

That said, I've always wondered who the first person was to look at a crab or a lobster and say "that looks like it would be delicious!!" :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad