Speculation: Off Season Wish List

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wish list: (sung to the tune of 12 days of Christmas)

On the twelfth day of next season Ken Holland gave to me...
Yamamoto scoring, P J maturing,
Ten Bouchard point goals, A top right defenceman, Ethan Bear consistent
An NHL fourth line, Dylan Hollaway playing, Kevin Lowe's rings.........
Three 3rd line forwards , A 2nd left defenceman
One starting goalie and a left winger for McDavid!

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
1LW - McDavid - Puljujarvi
2LW - Draisaitl - 2RW
3LW - McLeod - Yamamoto
Khaira - 4C - Archibald

1LW = High IQ shooter - replaces RNH on the power play if he walks
2LW/2RW = Defensively responsible, fast and big bodied wingers. Right side could be Kassian if Holland can't find takers
3LW = Benson, Holloway or Ennis/Kahun
4C = Right-handed center who is defensively responsible and good at faceoffs

Nurse - 1RD
2LD - Larsson
3LD - Bouchard

1RD = Bear or Hamilton (pipe dream)
2LD = Klefbom or Kulikov
3LD = Koekkoek / Jones / Lagesson

1G
Smith

1G = Anyone good

Reactions: Geardedandbearded

Bcsw721

Nov 17, 2015
My off season dream

Buy out Neal
Trade Koskinen (somehow)
Trade Bear

Not re-signing RNH and Barrie

Get a LW to play with Macdavid
Try to sign Hamilton Getzlaf and a number 1 goalie.

New Coach as well

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
So, honest question then. If we give up a ton of picks and or prospects to get rid of all the terrible contracts, how are we obtaining real NHL players? Buying half a team on free agency, assuming names you want even make it there?

Edit: Russel only costs 1.25 now so he's not nearly as bad.

Yeah, we would have to acquire actual solid players that can play right now and work with guys like Holloway ready to play on the big team.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
First and foremost, we need a #1 goalie that can start 55-60 games. If Smith wants to return, sign him to another 1 year deal but I suspect he may want to retire or he'll sign with a true contender like Boston for that last kick at a cup as a backup. I don't want magic beans like Driedger either. I'd like to try to get Gibson in a trade but I can't see that happening. Mrazek, Grubauer and Rask are some UFA options until Ilya Konovalov comes over and plays in the AHL for a couple seasons. I'm really hopeful he's the goalie of the future.

Second, I'd let RNH walk but first I'd see what teams he's interested in and see if there's a mutual interest to try and trade his rights to. I'd rather get a 5th or 6th for his rights than nothing at all. I'd see what Murray wants for Rakell. Him flanking McDavid and JP would be a strong top line.

The rest, I don't know yet. I need time to look at who's available but goaltending is #1 at the top of my wish list and letting Useless-Hopkins go.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
John Klingberg. I don't know that the Stars would trade him, but they may have to choose between him and Miro — and if they do, they're taking the younger guy.

Klingberg's a two way beast, and would comfortably slide in as the number one defenseman Edmonton hasn't had since Pronger. I'd happily move Bouchard and this year's first. I'd probably move more.

Haven't heard any rumblings whatsoever about this, but among defensemen, he'd be my first and most obvious target.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
You have to assume a loss in the first round results in massive off season changes, no?

I don't think this team can put up with another year of shuffling bottom 6 forwards and no real D upgrades. Same song and dance every off season, we bring in some has been or MAYBE 2nd liner/2nd pair D guy and everyone rejoices like we are now competitive. Seen it too many time I don't fall for it anymore.

As far as I'm concerned nobody should be safe this summer. Nobody.....

antropomorphia

May 9, 2021
Not going to lie, I don't even know where to start with this roster. Holland has his work cut out for him.

Forward:
I have McDrai, Puljujarvi, and Yamamoto penciled in for next season (possibly McLeod but he has left me underwhelmed). The rest are expendable.

Defense:
Nurse, Larsson, and Bouchard. Possibly Barrie, but considering we have no forward depth whatsoever I would allocate as much money as possible to bring in good middle 6 forwards.

Goalie:
Smith. Koskinen is a goner for sure.

___________-McDavid-Puljujarvi
___________-Draisaitl-___________
___________-_________-Yamamoto
McLeod-___________-____________

Nurse-__________
______-Larsson
______-Bouchard

Good luck Kenny.

Jesus, when you lay it out like that it looks even worse.

The man has his work cut out for him, goddamn.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Going to be a wild offseason with that I have no doubt. I would go

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Puljujarvi
X1(Tyler Bertuzzi)-X2(Philip Danault)-Yamamoto
X3(Janmark)-X4(Haula)-Kassian
Chiasson-McLeod-Archibald

Nurse-Bouchard
X5(Klefbom)Larsson
Jones-X7

X8(Mrazek)
Smith

I’ll go through each signing/trade I would make

X1-Rumors are floating that Det may not want to pay Tyler Bertuzzi, you ask Detroit whatever they want they can have that isn’t crazy
X2-Sign Philip Danault, he plays over his head at 1C in Montreal, but would make a fine defensive 2C here, has a strong ability to win draws.
X3- Sign Mathias Janmark
X4- I’d assume if Nashville is beaten out Haula will go to market again, wanted him last year.
X5- hard to predict with Klefbom, but you take him back if he’s able, if not you’ll have to likely go the trade route with limited Ld available. If not you could see who might be left after a couple weeks in UFA, must plug that hole if Klefbom doesn’t come back. Could also see Broberg getting a shot.
X7- Who cares, depth option in UFA after a month or so.

X8- IMO this is a no doubt Mrazek. Holland tried to sign Mrazek 2 years ago instead of Smith, was rumored to have shown interest in him around trade deadline if I recall. Carolina looks to be staying with Nedeljkovic, Mrazek will want a spot that can offer a shot at 1G. I’d go Dreidger but I have not doubt Holland will go Mrazek

I very likely still have millions left over too, depending on how you got rid of Koskinen/Neal. I’d look at some 1 year deals with that, with both Puljujarvi, Nurse, others potentially all looking to cash after next season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
People need to get real here.

__?__ McDavid - Puljujarvi
__?__Drai - Yammamoto/__?__
__?__Mcloud-__?__/Yammamoto
Archibald-Kharia/Has-Kassian
Benson - Has - Neal

Nurse - Bear/Bouchard depending on situation.
_?_ - Larsson
Jones/Russell-Bouchard
Jones/Russell
**Who knows when/if Klefbom will be back.

Smith
Stalock
Kos (Please just waive him to the minors. With him in the AHL and Stalock in the NHL we're saving a few hundred dollars in cap space.

Reality check time

• If we're very lucky, we might be able to dispose of one of Kos or Neal's contracts without buying them out. Let that sink in. Tell that to yourself now. Learn to accept it so that if free agency is over and we've still got both of those contracts on the books, you won't have to be so bothered by that face.
  • Hopkins might be back. Depends on how much $$$ he's looking for. If it were up to me I wouldn't want to pay him a penny over 4M per season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-signed for 5X5M.
  • We have absolutely no reason to believe that Klefbom will be anywhere near ready to play when the next season begins. There's even a chance he might not be playing next season. And no, there's no reason to believe our team is insane enough to just put Broberg in there while we wait for Klefbom to come back.
Silver Lining

• 1.333M cap hit from Pouliot buyout is off of the books.
  • Cap hit from Sekera buyout goes from 2.5M to 1.5M for the next 2 seasons before going down to 0.
  • Kyle Turris' cap hit is small enough that he'll only be costing us a few hundred thousand towards the cap being buried in the minors.
  • Chaisson's 2.15M cap hit is off of the books.
  • Russel is making a cost effective 1.25M next season

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You have to assume a loss in the first round results in massive off season changes, no?

I don't think this team can put up with another year of shuffling bottom 6 forwards and no real D upgrades. Same song and dance every off season, we bring in some has been or MAYBE 2nd liner/2nd pair D guy and everyone rejoices like we are now competitive. Seen it too many time I don't fall for it anymore.

As far as I'm concerned nobody should be safe this summer. Nobody.....

Flat cap for how many more seasons in a league where most teams are already strapped for cap space?
This off-season is going to be the same as the last.
Holland is going to sign a handful of guys to the most cost effective contracts he can.
Keep what works and part ways with what doesn't.
If we don't re-sign Hopkins we have the cap space for a legit top 6 forward and mayyybe a 2nd pairing left handed d-man, but there's no reason to believe that any signings beyond that will be depth signings.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
We’re not filling 7-8 holes in the roster with UFAs and if we do, we’re going to scraping the barrel.

Expect to see some promotions from Bakersfield and the prospect pool, especially if Tippett is not around. Willing to bet McLeod, Bouchard, Marody, Holloway are all in the line up opening night. Benson I think is gone.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
First, fans should know that
1 There is a lot of teams now, 32 teams. UFAs will have an incredible easy way to chose good conyracts.

2 What leverage has Holland to attract great players to edmonton? Not that much. Fans cant demand the world.

3 In this new diluted league, there are more not NHLers ghan ever in the league. There is just a handful of geams that can fill a top6 with good enough players.

4 The 31 team league gas offered, to snag the best UFAs, redicolous comtracts and term, rssulting in almost always looking bad in just ssome years. Common to be buyout material in a 3 year span.

5 The league has become such a skating league, that plYers has their peak at 22 - 27 years old. Then declining! That is not healthy forthe sport. And makes signing right players very hard. You have to find the rough diamonds all thd time.

6 It also makes more plauers than ever gokng in and out of the league. Young players doesnt have any room to grow in to the league.

With that said;
I think the resign list is first Larsson. Then Yamamoto to a bridge. Yes 4K is good for depth, and may Kulikov on a 1 year deal as well. I wanted Barrie to walk, but Im getting very unsurw about Bear. Thw guy was known for his offense, but where is that? A bit snall to be a defender, I want him as a 3rd pairing at the highest. Resign Barrie instaed.

Redogn Nuge and trade him. Nuge is just no edge or breaking through abillity at all. He is right now a 3C (Hey! We found orselfs the right3C! Right in frong of ouf eyes..) For that he is to damn expensive. Centers have great tradevalue. Trafe flr a good LW:er.
Rd too, so trade Bear as well, for ex a second LWer.

Yam is the weak link on a 2nd line, or a great 3rd liner.

Keep kassian, resign Shore, resign Haas. Holland and tippet dont like Nygård, so let him walk then. Resign Kahun for 3rd line duty, or as a forechecker. I think he can make a good season. Bury Turris.

Buyout Neal, bury Koskinen. Get a backup -worth backup.

Sign Edler if he is affordable as a vet.

Find a volumeshooter as so.eone suggested.

Trade Khaira if tou can cet a player for him. Not picks.

Nurse Barrie
Edler/Lagesson Bouchard
Kulikov Larsson

New shooting LW McDavid Pulj
New good LW Draisaitl Kassian
Shore MacLeod Yamamoto
Haas Glendining (we already know it will be) Archibald

Benson, Marody, Kahun.

We will not miss Nuge I thi k if two good wingérs is aquired instead.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I want the team to throw out a bunch of these 1 or 2 year prove it deals to players with high upside but have underperformed, kinda like what we did with Kahun this year or even Barrie to a lesser extent. If they work out then great we landed ourselves a player, if not we cut bait after a year or two. Kahun wasn't the best for us this year but he costed us a whopping 975k for 1 year so it doesn't matter.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
My off season wish list is we get rid of Kassian Neal Koskinen and Russell.

Give up all our draft picks if that's what it takes.

Then get actual nhl players.
Russell makes 1.5M next season so can hang around.
Kassian was fine in playoffs and we may need him against Cali teams+Flames
Koski and Neal need to go.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
My off season wish list is we get rid of Kassian Neal Koskinen and Russell.

Give up all our draft picks if that's what it takes.

Then get actual nhl players.
How are we planning to get actual nhl players if we're trading all the picks to get rid of Kassian/Neal etc instead of said nhl players?

Hurricane fans seem to be done with Hamilton if they lose that series so he'd be the number 1 get.

Hoffman-Mcdavid-JP
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yammo
Kahun-Mcleod-Arch
Ennis-Haas-Kassian (because noones taking his contract on)

Klefbom-Hamilton
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

SOMEBODY
Smith
Wait Canes fans are turning on Hamilton? He should instantly be the Oilers number 1 priority above all else. Send him a Pietrangelo esque offer (~9 mil per year for 7 years)
So, honest question then. If we give up a ton of picks and or prospects to get rid of all the terrible contracts, how are we obtaining real NHL players? Buying half a team on free agency, assuming names you want even make it there?

Edit: Russel only costs 1.25 now so he's not nearly as bad.
Agreed on the don't give up all the picks/prospects just to get rid of contracts we're only 1 year away from getting out of like Koskinen or easily bought out like Neal.

Also Russell might only cost 1.25 million next year but the problem here is the Oilers still have Kris Russell. Hopefully he gets buried in the AHL.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Russell makes 1.5M next season so can hang around.
Kassian was fine in playoffs and we may need him against Cali teams+Flames
Koski and Neal need to go.
Kassian woke up out of his 2 year coma for two games.

He can take a hike.

None of those players you mentioned should be back next year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kassian woke up out of his 2 year coma for two games.

He can take a hike.

None of those players you mentioned should be back next year.
Sure, lets give up picks or players to get rid of Kassian and Russell because we got so many others ready to replace em.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure, lets give up picks or players to get rid of Kassian and Russell because we got so many others ready to replace em.
There's a reason that Russell barely played in this series.

As for Kassian, he should be on a plane to Seattle. Two games of finally deciding to play don't change that one whit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad