Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
On the topic of more positive news

I don't read the SUN but someone posted this in the comment section of Yost's blog and it certainly paints a bit of a nicer picture

I thought that the most important points made in the Garrioch article were;

Spezza does not want to go to a traditional Canadian hockey market like Vancouver as he wants out of the media focus. Spezza is cooperating with the Sens in finding a "right" team for him to go. Almost certainly he will be signing with the new team.

Some teams are interested in Spezza as a #1 center (St. Louis, Nashville) and others as a #2 (Anahiem). Regardless of where he goes Murray will get his price as the interest in Spezza is very high. (Important to keep in mind that the top player coming back is not nearly as important as the pick and the prospect to Murray.)

Murray will not deal with Florida or the Rangers. Both have expressed interest in Spezza. He wants to send him West. I still think Florida has the raw resources to make the best offer.

Although I can't say I'm thrilled about the notion that our GM puts more value on the picks and prospects rather than the roster player on the potential return for a PPG top line centre

It certainly gives the impression that the budget-driven management is going to last for a little while (I was hoping a year or two tops)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm not sure that's positive. I'd rather read the news that Spezza has re-signed here.

Also, I don't really like the part where it states the pick and prospect is more important.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The worst part, for me, is excluding Eastern teams from the bidding. So f$^& what if we have to play Spezza a bunch of times? His time here was done, it doesn't change anything.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure that's positive. I'd rather read the news that Spezza has re-signed here.

Also, I don't really like the part where it states the pick and prospect is more important.

What disappoints me is that he won't deal with teams in the east. Best return is qhat we should be looking for, regardless of where it comes from.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Spezza staying is apparently simply not an option so best not to dwell on it

I like that interest is high and that the word is that Spezza will re-up with the team he's traded to: that means the return could be solid

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
And a lot better than what some people on the Trade Board seem to think he'll get :shakehead:

*Hopefully*

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
And a lot better than what some people on the Trade Board seem to think he'll get :shakehead:

*Hopefully*

My secret wish is we get a large haul. Partly because it's good for the team, but another so that we can throw it in ppl faces. Reading through the Spezza threads on the trade board has been a bit maddening.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
On the topic of more positive news

I don't read the SUN but someone posted this in the comment section of Yost's blog and it certainly paints a bit of a nicer picture

Although I can't say I'm thrilled about the notion that our GM puts more value on the picks and prospects rather than the roster player on the potential return for a PPG top line centre

It certainly gives the impression that the budget-driven management is going to last for a little while (I was hoping a year or two tops)

if thats true, i don't blame spezza one bit, given the way many fans treated him here. pathetic

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If Spezza does not want to join a team where there's a lot of pressure, does that suggest also why he'd want to leave Ottawa?

All Canadian cities and a lot of popular teams will have that pressure, but some players don't handle it as well as others, and I'd be fine if that was why he'd want to leave as opposed to lack of team money, poor contract offer, competing for the cup, etc.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Beside Toronto, he would not be a good fit for other Canadian teams IMO beside TO, and we all know Murray wouldn't trade him there.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
With all his amazing prospects the loss of Hemsky and Michalek should mean nothing.

I've been hearing how sick BMs farm is for the last few years... So let's see it

Nothing but depth... not one of those guys are an impact player... I like Stone but other then that it's all bottom six talent.

Change the record.

How did we get Ryan? the farm system
How did we get Turris? the farm system
Where did Karlsson come from?

Still not satisfied with the past few drafts? Zibanejad, Ceci, Lehner, and Lazar all have the potential to be impact players.

And then theirs the whole second tier of prospects that may or may not make it. If two or three of those(Pageau, Stone, Puempel, Prince, Dzingel, Claesson, Grant) have a decent career, I don't how you can complain.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
If Spezza does not want to join a team where there's a lot of pressure, does that suggest also why he'd want to leave Ottawa?

All Canadian cities and a lot of popular teams will have that pressure, but some players don't handle it as well as others, and I'd be fine if that was why he'd want to leave as opposed to lack of team money, poor contract offer, competing for the cup, etc.

Probably more of a reflection of where those teams are as far as contending for the cup. Canadian teams (aside from Montreal at this point) have a lot of work to do to get into the talk of elite teams.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He is probably tired of all the unnecessary bashing he gets from on of the smallest canadian markets

it is actually incredible how fast people are to point the finger at ownership,management and players but not at themselves.

People booing Spezza for the playoff opener was pathetic (he was pissed and told murray he wouldnt mind a trade after that playoff run) and the amount of heat he got this year was probably the tipping point when the whole team was pretty bad outside of a few players....hell Spezza had a pretty good back half of the season after coming back from injury.

I think the fans turning on Spezza has a large part as to why he wants out.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It's a combination of all I'd say

I think most players would rather play in an environment with less pressure and Spezza has some control over where he ends up

But I have to think the fact that team isn't spending is a consideration for him as well: he's going to be 31, his prime is closer to ending than starting

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

*Hopefully*

It's amusing to see the trade board - a big market team wants to trade a player and the valuations are crazy.

Spezza on the block? "The case for Jason Spezza" as if Ottawa fans needed to step in and explain why he's a valuable player. I haven't read the thread though so there's a chance I'm off. That was just my impression seeing the thread title.

As for balking at 5.5 Million for Hemsky - I'm really sad. We were willing to go really high for a guy like Clarkson but not Hemsky who was doing wonderful with Spezza and would have provided us with 2 solid lines and a good chance at a playoff spot for next season.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Only difference between Spezza and Heatley is Spezza is cooperating, so far. Cant wait for him to be gone. He's deserved every bit of criticism he's got.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Only difference between Spezza and Heatley is Spezza is cooperating, so far. Cant wait for him to be gone. He's deserved every bit of criticism he's got.

And I can't wait for Sens fans to be desperate for a legit top line center several seasons after SPezza is gone.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Spezza and a conditional 2015 second (if he doesn't sign) for Forsberg, Aberg and the 11th. There are some decent players left at 11, I'd love Ehlers, Fiala, Kapanen, Virtanen, Ritchie, Fleury, etc...

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada
And I can't wait for Sens fans to be desperate for a legit top line center several seasons after SPezza is gone.

And I can't wait to see him rip it up elsewhere and I would love to see him lift a Cup. The Spezza hate is ridiculous and has been for many ****ing years. He deserves better.

The whining his haters will do in the next few seasons will be funny.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
And I can't wait to see him rip it up elsewhere and I would love to see him lift a Cup. The Spezza hate is ridiculous and has been for many ****ing years. He deserves better.

The whining his haters will do in the next few seasons will be funny.

If a team like Anaheim gets him, you have to figure they're right up in the conversation with Chicago and LA.

Im kinda hoping that teams like Anaheim and St Louis get in a bidding war over him

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He is probably tired of all the unnecessary bashing he gets from on of the smallest canadian markets

Unnecessary bashing? Did you see him this year?

If he shouldn't get criticized for his terrible effort level, pathetic defensive play and failure as a team leader, what constitutes grounds for criticism? The guy was terrible for a large portion of the year and was a major reason why we missed the playoffs this year.

If he can't stand the criticism in a small market like Ottawa, how is he ever going to survive in a bigger city with much more pressure?

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

You don't need a superstar center to be successful, look at the ECF. Top 4 D is much more important nowadays in a low scoring league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad