GDT: Off-Season Thread V: 'So about that defenseman trade' Edition

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Our defense's biggest weakness is moving the puck. As a result it hinders our entire team's ability to score. I don't believe Fowler is the D we need, but he's the most accessible.

And Fowler can move the puck, but I don't think he's as good at it as some around here seem to think. DDK can move the puck, but I wouldn't say he's exceptional or great at it, he's above average and I feel Fowler is around the same level. We need an elite puck mover imo. Adding anything else is just going to be a marginal improvement at best. I feel like adding Fowler to the Wings would just change them from a playoff bubble team to a lock to be a 6-8 seed and still get ousted in the first round. Ideally we need someone of Fowlers caliber and then another top 3 d, because by my calculations the only top 4 quality defenseman that the Wings have currently is DDK and Green. Hopefully Kronner is healthy and can play at a 2nd pairing level but I'm not holding my breath

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Wings could just really use another top 4 guy that can make an above average 1st pass. A #1 would be great, but if you add another guy like DD but a slightly better passer, you've significantly upgraded the D. Right now Green is the only above average passer on the team. Kronwall and Smith were always more skaters than passers. DD has hit or miss moments. Ericsson is a time bomb waiting to happen, and Marchy is decent but still very much a bottom paring guy at this point.

If you march out:

Fowler-Green
DD-Smith
Kronner-Marchy

You have a skater and passer on every pairing. Right now our offense struggles because our D cannot exit our zone quickly. The Wings have plenty of offense on the forward side of things, but the forwards have to cheat back defensively so much that we never get odd man rushes. You get a better passing D going, and suddenly guys like Helm, Larkin, AA, Tats, Nyquist, etc are springing so much, that their D has cheat back.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
^ Ericsson will never sit though, for some ungodly reason, if we did happen to get Fowler or someone else Smith will be in the press box, occasionally swapping in for Marchenko/injuries.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It isn't a surprise, but Jimmy Vesey won't be playing in Detroit :

"We did our best," Red Wings assistant general manager Ryan Martin said. "We spoke to his agent about depth and opportunity. He said he preferred to play closer to home."

The list of teams the 23-year-old Boston native is rumored to have interest in includes Chicago, New Jersey, the New York Rangers, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Buffalo and his hometown Bruins.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm unsurprised that we spoke to him about 'opportunity' and he crossed us off the list.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm unsurprised that we spoke to him about 'opportunity' and he crossed us off the list.

yeah, how'd that sales pitch go?

Vesey: I'd like to be able to make the team out of camp.
Holland: Well, it's a competition, and you have to outplay the vet, but if there are five or six injuries, there might be some room for you to earn a call-up at some point.
Vesey: ...
Holland: next season.

click

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"Preferred to play closer to home", but Chicago is farther away and made the list...

I almost said something about that, but he could be inserted into their top 6 and is a very recently successful franchise that has a shot to contend this year (regardless of how I think they have regressed)... I'd definitely consider them if I were him. Chance to make that money compound.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I almost said something about that, but he could be inserted into their top 6 and is a very recently successful franchise that has a shot to contend this year (regardless of how I think they have regressed)... I'd definitely consider them if I were him. Chance to make that money compound.

not to mention a good chance at the whole winning a cup thing. Win a cup in his first year or two, then go looking for a big pay day wherever the first opportunity he gets. Wouldn't be the worst plan he could have.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
a little puke who hasent done jack in any league that matters who wants to tell multiple organizations that HE is in charge... umm no thanks, let him become an actual man first

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
not to mention a good chance at the whole winning a cup thing. Win a cup in his first year or two, then go looking for a big pay day wherever the first opportunity he gets. Wouldn't be the worst plan he could have.

Why go to Chicago? Tampa is a better contender with lowest taxes (when everybody is bidding same) and you could stay at East.

At Chicago, you play low-scoring defence as a rookie with Toews (proably too tough minutes) or go to bottom6 with other kids. Panarin is locked with Kane. Not anyhow ideal room for him.

Krejci's wing probably the best possible place to score high goal amounts = most money in the future. He has feeded many players to +25 goal seasons...

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
a little puke who hasent done jack in any league that matters who wants to tell multiple organizations that HE is in charge... umm no thanks, let him become an actual man first

He is in charge. He gets to pick where he goes and what team he plays for. He will most likely get the same contract no matter where it is but he waited and now gets to set his own destiny.

I will never understand the vitriol against people who take their career into their own hands. It's a business and a calculated decision that has + and -.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
^ Ericsson will never sit though, for some ungodly reason, if we did happen to get Fowler or someone else Smith will be in the press box, occasionally swapping in for Marchenko/injuries.
He'll sit as soon as we have 6 better d-men, something that has yet to happen since 09 or so. If we trade for Fowler, Smith is probably gone which would be a win-win and a major reason to wish Holland makes a trade happen.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why go to Chicago? Tampa is a better contender with lowest taxes (when everybody is bidding same) and you could stay at East.

At Chicago, you play low-scoring defence as a rookie with Toews (proably too tough minutes) or go to bottom6 with other kids. Panarin is locked with Kane. Not anyhow ideal room for him.

Krejci's wing probably the best possible place to score high goal amounts = most money in the future. He has feeded many players to +25 goal seasons...

Just stopped in to read on how Wings offseason was going and see the Vesey talk in here and wanted to chime in a little

There is talk that Q plans to move Hossa (Naturally its all just speculation) onto Kruger's wing and use them for primary defensive shutdown role and Hawks believe that Panarin is ready to carry 2nd line

Many think Schmaltz will get the express ticket onto NHL roster with trade of TT and Hawks going out to sign him out of NCAA. If that happens you could see something like this if Vesey signed for Hawks top 9

Vesey-Toews-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Schmaltz
Panik-Kruger-Hossa

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He'll sit as soon as we have 6 better d-men, something that has yet to happen since 09 or so. If we trade for Fowler, Smith is probably gone which would be a win-win and a major reason to wish Holland makes a trade happen.

Last season Kronwall, Quincey, Green, Dekeyser, Marchenko, and Smith were all better and that didn't happen. In my opinion. But I know you like Smith less than most and E more than most, so I could understand if you disagree with that sentiment

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also what does the future hold for Jurco at this point?

I was fan of kid and really hoped he would put it together but so far it seems his development has stalled. I imagine his time in Detroit organization could be coming to end if he doesn't show more this coming season

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I was fan of kid and really hoped he would put it together but so far it seems his development has stalled. I imagine his time in Detroit organization could be coming to end if he doesn't show more this coming season

I don't think Jurco is here much longer. He hasn't really been the same guy since he got hurt in Boston. Though he had a few good stretches last year, but if his back isn't better he isn't going to be in the NHL much longer either.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think he sees more room in the top9 in Chicago than he sees in TB, especially with Hossa getting older. Line up with Kane on one line or Toews on another...I think it's a winning situation for him either way.

Agree about Boston being a good spot if he's purely looking for ice time and the opportunity to drive up his value. I don't see them being the contenders Chicago and TB are, though.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I really don't know what to think. Jurco has some size and has shown that he can score, but somehow, he just can't finish in the NHL. I think in Detroit, he's either a 4th lin RW or he'll be sent on waivers, going somewhere like Anaheim and getting more ice-time then, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad