Off-Season Roster Thread #2 -- Nothing to do but wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Wonder if KA tries to swing a deal for what have to be disgruntled guys in Talbot or Blackwood. I'd prefer the former, obviously.
Talbot is more proven and stable, would definitely choose him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I mean Talbot is pretty solid. I imagine teams like Washington and Toronto would be in the mix on him also among other teams which is likely to drive up the price.
Well, there is also Kuemper, Campbell, and like Murray can go to Toronto or Edmonton. Talbot would be a good Buffalo pickup, I didn't list him because I thought he wasn't available. But apparently he wants a starter role, and Minnesota now has a MAF.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There will always be someone who doesn't like something the team does. It's not like there is a single body of posters who always take a contrarian position just because. That would be like saying there are those who will unflappingly approve of everything the team does. No move is without some possible risk or detraction in the same way most moves have some boon and that's why they're being made.

I would have been perfectly fine with the Murray move yesterday given there was retention and the compensation. I would have applauded the Husso move. I would have been Ok with the Vanacek move. However, what I continue to not be fine with is doing nothing to address goaltending even though we have (had?) tons of draft capital and cap space. To sit here and allow his options to dwindle down (for the 2nd year in a row) despite it being a huge issue to resolve is disappointing to say the least.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Value is probably a '23 R2 i imagine? It's not like Minnesota should be desperate to move him.
If he wants to leave and get a starter role, he probably should. They can sign cheap Halak, Comrie or whatever. MAF will be the starter.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If KA had made the same Detroit/Husso trade and sign, I would be running in circles waving my shirt around my head and whooping it up. Would happily come on here and eat crow, and take the heat if Husso flamed out in Buffalo. Even if Husso does struggle as a 50+ game starter, his contract is not hard to deal with or suffer through. It all made sense to go after him, and using a 3rd rd pick to get the jump on other teams would be easy to justify for a team making 11 picks in this draft.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If KA had made the same Detroit/Husso trade and sign, I would be running in circles waving my shirt around my head and whooping it up. Would happily come on here and eat crow, and take the heat if Husso flamed out in Buffalo. Even if Husso does struggle as a 50+ game starter, his contract is not hard to deal with or suffer through. It all made sense to go after him, and using a 3rd rd pick to get the jump on other teams would be easy to justify for a team making 11 picks in this draft.
The only defence i can argue for Adams is that Husso wanted to sign in Detroit but not for us?

But I'm almost certain that Adams wasn't even in on these negotiations to begin with ...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Minnesota is pretty tight to the cap due to the buyout dead space they are carrying this year.
I took a look earlier today. It's actually nowhere near as bad as i would have thought. Guerin has done a great job since those 'WTF' buyouts last offseason, IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I took a look earlier today. It's actually nowhere near as bad as i would have thought. Guerin has done a great job since those 'WTF' buyouts last offseason, IMO.

With Talbot and the dead cap, they have $1.4M left to sign two forwards. That's pretty tight.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ominous phrasing
The draft choice at 41 was ominous to me as well (for Portillo obviously).

If they can't get something done this summer - then try to trade Johnson for a R2 pick or equivalent prospect (preferably RHS) & try to trade Portillo for whatever you can get.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
With Talbot and the dead cap, they have $1.4M left to sign two forwards. That's pretty tight.
Sure - but certainly do-able.

In my head i expected it to be worse for them. They don't need to be moving out key pieces of their team to clear space.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The draft choice at 41 was ominous to me as well (for Portillo obviously).

If they can't get something done this summer - then try to trade Johnson for a R2 pick or equivalent prospect (preferably RHS) & try to trade Portillo for whatever you can get.

Taking a goalie this year has almost no bearing on any of their other goaltending prospects. Goalies still remain a long, long development path with contribution at best at 3 years and typically 5. There is a lot of runway from today to 2027 expecting the new goalie to displace anyone else. In the meantime, they still need people at the pro level to stop pucks.

Sure - but certainly do-able.

In my head i expected it to be worse for them. They don't need to be moving out key pieces of their team to clear space.

They need two more forwards and even at league minimum, they have no room for recalls. It very much is very tight.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce