Speculation: Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Again, this comes down to personal values. You need speed to win in the NHL. You could argue that Boston and Chicago were the two fastest teams in the NHL top to bottom. It's something we need more of, and its something Ennis has and ROR doesn't. I'm going to drop it at this point because it's an argument based on opinions and neither of us us going to change the others mind.

I've never seen boston stated as one if the fastest teams in the league. They were filled with two way players that knew all three zones...

In fact they traded one of their top speed players in seguin for a slower two way monster in erickson.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
it would be great to have an 80 pt shutdown center...

you NEED a player like that.... you don't need super duper danglez

franchise "center" gives the impression of "elite" offense... and no one will confuse Oreilly for an 80-90 pt center.

Arent you contradicting yourself in the same post????

ROR is not a franchise center.....talk about this when he even has a 70+ pt season.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Again, this comes down to personal values. You need speed to win in the NHL. You could argue that Boston and Chicago were the two fastest teams in the NHL top to bottom. It's something we need more of, and its something Ennis has and ROR doesn't. I'm going to drop it at this point because it's an argument based on opinions and neither of us us going to change the others mind.

You could also argue that having a ton of solid, defensively responsible forwards is important, and we have literally 3 of those on our roster ATM (Ott, Porter, Kaleta, with Flynn as a possible fourth). A TON of our defensive problems last year stemmed from not having forwards come back to give defensemen good outlets to clear the zone.
And Boston was hardly that fast of a team...unless guys like lucic, horton, jagr, krejci, and chara suddenly all became speed demons and i didn't notice. But they're littered with 2 way players up and down their roster. Their bottom 6 can chip in offense and keep the puck out of their net. Ours can't. And yes, Ennis is fast, and can score, but he's a black hole in his own end. Also, can't kill penalties. ROR would be a significant addition there.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

not really.
I think you'll pretty much just make stuff up in support of your argument.

No one in their right mind thinks "super duper speed" is more valuable than hard, physical, 2 way play come playoff time...

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Brindy
Pahlsson
Zetterberg
Staal*
Bolland
Bergeron
Kopitar
Toews

Checking centers are fundamentally important to contenders.

*Staal is the worst shadow/goal preventer of the list (a belief I've held since before his -999 season this year), and surprise, he's the one on the team with the best two offensive centers in the league.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Speaking of strong two way play and getting back to the roster build.

I'm trying to figure out where Larsson would fit best. I know Porter had a decent showing as our 3rd line center after his call up. He also had good chemistry with Ott/Flynn. But.....

We could recreate the Amerks top line from the playoffs by sticking Larsson between Ott/Flynn with Ott replacing Girgs. It would give us a pretty solid defensive line with possible offensive upside. The offensive upside would depend largely in Larsson and Flynn's development. Then slide Porter down to the 4th line where he is a better fit.

Another thought was try Larsson on Grigs wing. See if he can could handle a Hecht-like role on a scoring line.

Thoughts

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Speaking of strong two way play and getting back to the roster build.

I'm trying to figure out where Larsson would fit best. I know Porter had a decent showing as our 3rd line center after his call up. He also had good chemistry with Ott/Flynn. But.....

We could recreate the Amerks top line from the playoffs by sticking Larsson between Ott/Flynn with Ott replacing Girgs. It would give us a pretty solid defensive line with possible offensive upside. The offensive upside would depend largely in Larsson and Flynn's development. Then slide Porter down to the 4th line where he is a better fit.

Another thought was try Larsson on Grigs wing. See if he can could handle a Hecht-like role on a scoring line.

Thoughts

w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
x Scott, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ott-Larsson-Flynn
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
I keep hearing Miller to St.L rumors.. I just don't see a fit with Halak, Elliott and Allen. Anyone else feel Miller / Vanek have taken the team hostage ?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
x Scott, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ott-Larsson-Flynn
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott

You prefer him at center then. That's my preference as well, particularly due to the fact that we don't have centers that bring what he does on the roster.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
x Scott, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ott-Larsson-Flynn
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott

Quick question, did you just forget Foligno, or did you purposefully leave him out of the lineup?

And I agree with you that having Larsson at center is probably the best idea. I think I may leave him in the AHL to begin the year however and let develop some more chemistry with Girgensons as well as some of the other young players he will be playing with in the future.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Quick question, did you just forget Foligno or did you purposefully leave him out of the lineup?

oops

w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Foligno-Porter-Kaleta
x Scott, Flynn, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Foligno-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp