Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Streaming. It's hard to care about sports when leagues are so messed up due to COVID. I hardly cared when they restarted the playoffs. I watched the leaf games just to get my hockey fix but in the end I didn't feel it had the same atmosphere or level of importance compared to a regular-season or if they had started it way sooner.

In a one off season I love the North division. The pandemic has been ongoing for a year. I can understand it impacting short term viewership. This season it should in theory have bounced back.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Wow 2 yrs for 34 million, that's a horrible contract. Thank god the Jays stayed away from Turner at that number

Reactions: BigBlu

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wow 2 yrs for 34 million, that's a horrible contract. Thank god the Jays stayed away from Turner at that number

A .400 obp in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Might be a little rich but his skillset is aging gracefully. Even with a dip in power he’s as consistent of a producer as they come and is projected for 2-3 wins next season. I’d take the over on a full season though.

Reactions: Discoverer

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Looks like he really wanted Seattle or we really didn’t want him.

Edit:

Or perhaps his injury was more worrisome.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Jays may have seen something in paxton that was worrysome. Either that or has something else they are working on. That is a solid deal for seattle

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If nothing else, let's hope it makes guys like Walker and Odorizzi decide fast. Spring training is almost here and doubt guys want to get too far behind missing time.

Reactions: habamillions

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Teams most have a lot less money to spend than originally thought at this point of the offseason.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
This reads as sarcasm.

We could've gotten him for Tanner Roark money and didn't even make an offer?

Again unless a trade for Hendricks, Castillo, or Gray is in the works and they're close with Taijuan Walker...

what are we doing here?

Reactions: Kurtz

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This reads as sarcasm.

We could've gotten him for Tanner Roark money and didn't even make an offer?

Again unless a trade for Hendricks, Castillo, or Gray is in the works and they're close with Taijuan Walker...

what are we doing here?

A few good teams could have used him at that price, and he ended up signing what looks like a "build up value and flip him at the deadline" deal with a crappy team. As others have pointed out, it makes me really curious what the medicals look like.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It is funny I was going to say this 2 days ago but i didn’t so I don’t get the credit.

But I was going to say, if I’m him I go back to Seattle. Paxton should care about rebuilding value as he wants that next big deal. Don’t go to a team where you have to new build relationships and learn the ropes. Not enough time to get comfortable and acclimated.

Go back to Seattle where you are familiar with to a division with a few pitchers parks. If he comes to Toronto then he is screwed playing in Florida and against teams like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Seattle is a great place to rebuild value. Plus very close to home.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It is funny I was going to say this 2 days ago but i didn’t so I don’t get the credit.

But I was going to say, if I’m him I go back to Seattle. Paxton should care about rebuilding value as he wants that next big deal. Don’t go to a team where you have to new build relationships and learn the ropes. Not enough time to get comfortable and acclimated.

Go back to Seattle where you are familiar with to a division with a few pitchers parks. If he comes to Toronto then he is screwed playing in Florida and against teams like the Yankees and Red Sox.

And if he pitches well early on, he likely gets dealt to a contender who only has to pay a fraction of the salary.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa

I predicted him going back to seattle in mlb trade rumors prediction game. However that is only 1 of the few i got right haha

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It makes me wonder if that workout he did for teams showed him sitting a lot on the lower end of the 90s then mid 90s. He signed for essentially nothing with a non contender. Nobody was willing to take a flyer for more then that? Really curious to see what his arm looks like this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad