Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Pt II: It's the off-season in November!... Wait. That's normal for baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
As a fan, I love the idea.

As a private citizen, I despise the idea because 1) Rogers is going to add strings and 2) utilities costs will magically go up when the companies collude to cover this cost (and put more money in the pockets of Shaw, Bell and Quebecor)

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
As a fan, I love the idea.

As a private citizen, I despise the idea because 1) Rogers is going to add strings and 2) utilities costs will magically go up when the companies collude to cover this cost (and put more money in the pockets of Shaw, Bell and Quebecor)

Not to mention if you live in the core ... Construction chaos for years

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
As someone who has been to 200+ games at the Rogers Centre and has visited 14 other parks around the majors - the team could definitely use a new home or at least some renos for their current one. The Rogers Centre is just so bland and tired looking.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm fine staying where we are. We have a field, it has seats and most importantly it has a roof. I'm not too picky, its a stadium, it does its job.

Pretty much in every other sport no one cares what the stadium or arena looks like as long as it isnt falling apart and it gets the job done. I think baseball and its fan romanticizes their love for stadiums and its need to be unique or the best too much.

In the end i'm not going to say no to a new stadium. But i'm more concerned with the team on the field than the field itself. If the team wants to raise billions of dollars, i prefer to see it injected into the product on the field than the building.

Its an extreme example but look at the Pirates, they have arguably the best stadium in baseball but probably one of the worst products on the field. Same can maybe said for the Mariners and Marlins over the years. I would think those fans would prioritize a winning or a successful franchise to go see play vs sitting in a nice building to watch a crappy franchise.

It doesnt have to be two extremes; you can have both where there is an in between but for me personally, im fine with the Rogers Centre.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Just can’t see the Jays being able to draw top talent to Buffalo/Toronto. It’s just too hard of a sell. I therefore expect most talent to be landed via trade. I hope I’m wrong, but...
Have confidence,you’ll be wrong.:thumbu:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Braves stadium took 29 months.

Rangers new stadium was around 30 months and that included a roof. The roof caught fire during construction so i assume that took extra time.

Also, i didnt know the Rangers new stadium has a roof and more surprisingly turf.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If they want to build a new stadium in a different location which won't interrupt the team then cool. Hopefully it's nice, and has grass and a retractable roof if that's possible.

If they want to tear down our only current stadium to build the new one in the same location and force our young core to play in a non MLB stadium or not in Toronto at all for multiple seasons as we approach our window of contention. Not cool, very not cool. Please don't do that.

Zanks

Apr 8, 2017
Start building on the lakeside. Make it like Safeco (retractable roof, and just a beautiful building, and an awesome experience).

Continue Playing in the Dome.

Once new stadium is complete, have new development company demo the Dome, that's prime real estate, I get that it's Canadian land, not sure what to put there, but should be used for mixed use commercial and residential, right? Some sort of Amazon inducing tech campus thing

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If they want to build a new stadium in a different location which won't interrupt the team then cool. Hopefully it's nice, and has grass and a retractable roof if that's possible.

If they want to tear down our only current stadium to build the new one in the same location and force our young core to play in a non MLB stadium or not in Toronto at all for multiple seasons as we approach our window of contention. Not cool, very not cool. Please don't do that.

Saw some stuff online about how it would happen.

Basically they'll start building the new stadium just south of Rogers Centre (the plan includes the parking lot/storage areas south of Bremner) and they should be able to have it ready to the point where they can knock down the old stadium and build the rest of the new one in one offseason.

Its a bit ambitious but its been done with other stadiums before.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I’m shocked they’re going private funded and not trying to extort some money from the City.

I’m sure there will be something there.

Glad it would be the same location. Now that they’ve seen they can play in Buffalo it makes it easier to push ahead with that idea.

A lakefront site would be neat too.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Once new stadium is complete, have new development company demo the Dome, that's prime real estate, I get that it's Canadian land, not sure what to put there, but should be used for mixed use commercial and residential, right? Some sort of Amazon inducing tech campus thing
New Arena with 30,000 person capacity :sarcasm:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was sort of hopting for something on the lake if we were building a new stadium (but still easily accessible from Union), but as long as we get an outdoor stadium, preferably in the PNC Park, Camden and Progressive Field design I'll be happy. The Skydome was state of the art, but like the first of most things it aged terribly to a large soulless concrete structure that was too big for the type of attendance the Jays pull in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad