Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Pt II: It's the off-season in November!... Wait. That's normal for baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
So what is wrong with the Skydome that they need a new stadium? Its only 30 years old?

Too big a stadium. In seasons where they're not contending, going to games with 15,000-25,000 people in a 45,000 person stadium creates a bad atmosphere, which likely lowers interest, and drives attendance down even more.

If they built a ~35,000-38,000 person stadium, they'd have a more consistently good atmosphere, and due to tickets being scarcer, they could probably charge more per ticket. Plus it's a bit of a bland concrete building with a very poor view of the lake/city.

The location of the current stadium is pretty much perfect though, which they can't replicate. If they go down by the water, it could be a very scenic location, but wouldn't be on the subway line.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Too big a stadium. In seasons where they're not contending, going to games with 15,000-25,000 people in a 45,000 person stadium creates a bad atmosphere, which likely lowers interest, and drives attendance down even more.

If they built a ~35,000-38,000 person stadium, they'd have a more consistently good atmosphere, and due to tickets being scarcer, they could probably charge more per ticket. Plus it's a bit of a bland concrete building with a very poor view of the lake/city.

The location of the current stadium is pretty much perfect though, which they can't replicate. If they go down by the water, it could be a very scenic location, but wouldn't be on the subway line.

This is all correct, and also from ownership side the luxury box situation sucks since they're good for views for a football game but not a baseball game. Can improve on that greatly with a new stadium.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
FAQ: The Blue Jays' plans to demolish Rogers Centre, obstacles and what's next - The Athletic

Where would the new stadium be located?

Citing unnamed sources, the Globe reported, the new stadium would be baseball-specific — the current structure is multi-purpose — and about half the size of the existing Rogers Centre. It would be built “on the foundations of the southern end of the current facility and adjacent parking lots,” while the northern part of the structure would be used for residential, business and commercial property as well as public space. One need not look any further than up the street to Maple Leafs Square to imagine how a sports facility can anchor a bustling residential and commercial neighbourhood.

Currently, the Marriott City Centre hotel is located in the northern part of the Rogers Centre.

This image below, courtesy of Canada Lands Company website, outlines the area known as the Toronto Stadium Lands lot, which includes the footprint of the stadium, as well as land to the north, south and east of the building.

TorontoStadiumLands_Overlay.jpg

As mentioned above, an alternative site is one in Toronto’s Port Lands neighbourhood. That area is primed for redevelopment.

What could get in the way?

This will likely not be a quick process. There will be a lot of red tape involved, as the project will require approval from multiple levels of government. Further complicating the process is the limited amount of physical space. The current stadium is located across the street from Roundhouse Park, a national historic site that includes the Toronto Railway Museum, Steam Whistle Brewing and the entertainment and gaming facility, The Rec Room.

The Globe wrote the entire process is expected to play out over the next five to eight years.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
FAQ: The Blue Jays' plans to demolish Rogers Centre, obstacles and what's next - The Athletic

Where would the new stadium be located?

Citing unnamed sources, the Globe reported, the new stadium would be baseball-specific — the current structure is multi-purpose — and about half the size of the existing Rogers Centre. It would be built “on the foundations of the southern end of the current facility and adjacent parking lots,” while the northern part of the structure would be used for residential, business and commercial property as well as public space. One need not look any further than up the street to Maple Leafs Square to imagine how a sports facility can anchor a bustling residential and commercial neighbourhood.

Currently, the Marriott City Centre hotel is located in the northern part of the Rogers Centre.

This image below, courtesy of Canada Lands Company website, outlines the area known as the Toronto Stadium Lands lot, which includes the footprint of the stadium, as well as land to the north, south and east of the building.

TorontoStadiumLands_Overlay.jpg

As mentioned above, an alternative site is one in Toronto’s Port Lands neighbourhood. That area is primed for redevelopment.

What could get in the way?

This will likely not be a quick process. There will be a lot of red tape involved, as the project will require approval from multiple levels of government. Further complicating the process is the limited amount of physical space. The current stadium is located across the street from Roundhouse Park, a national historic site that includes the Toronto Railway Museum, Steam Whistle Brewing and the entertainment and gaming facility, The Rec Room.

The Globe wrote the entire process is expected to play out over the next five to eight years.

I’m surprised there’s actually that much green space around there. When I was down in Toronto last year and went to a game, the tower, and the aquarium, I recall it just seeming like concrete and steel and glass everywhere.

That being said, the stadium is really ugly. I’m older than it is, and it felt like it was built before my time. Not only that, it’s dark and depressing inside of it.

Imagine a stadium on the lake front, and for instance one of RF or LF is a plexiglass (or whatever) wall looking out onto the lake.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I’m surprised there’s actually that much green space around there. When I was down in Toronto last year and went to a game, the tower, and the aquarium, I recall it just seeming like concrete and steel and glass everywhere.

That being said, the stadium is really ugly. I’m older than it is, and it felt like it was built before my time. Not only that, it’s dark and depressing inside of it.

Imagine a stadium on the lake front, and for instance one of RF or LF is a plexiglass (or whatever) wall looking out onto the lake.
There isn’t a lot of green space. That green area you see is the train museum and the back side is mostly just dead space.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well glad you had a great time either way. It’s really been built up around there.

I enjoyed it. It was weird though being surrounded by people and knowing if I blinked I was losing my gf and her nephew to the crowd.

Even though it was a school trip, we were left alone to do whatever, so we got to go to like Little Italy, Chinatown etc. which made it more enjoyable.

I could never live there though. I just don’t like people enough to deal with it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Shi reporting things are heating up with Jays and Springer.

Springer, Walker and Richards would be a nice little offseason.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
“That impacts the market for another Blue Jays target in George Springer, with whom they’ve progressed beyond just talking. Same thing with Michael Brantley, but while his left-handed bat and offensive profile are perfect for the batting order, how he fits defensively is less seamless. Since he’s limited to left field and DH, that means pushing Lourdes Gurriel Jr. out of a spot in which he just started settling in.”

Bruh, we are going after both Springer and Brantley eh?

Ight Shapiro. Do your best

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I wouldn't be against Gurriel+ for a signed Lindor which moves Grichuk to LF and then sign Springer. Pending the plus, and Lindor's contract of course.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I wouldn't be against Gurriel+ for a signed Lindor which moves Grichuk to LF and then sign Springer. Pending the plus, and Lindor's contract of course.
I dont think Gurriel will ever be the big piece in a trade for a signed Lindor. Gurriel is young, but not that young. I think we'd be looking more at trade chips like Pearson if we're getting a superstar SS in return(who's signed). If you're willing to trade someone like a Pearson, you may as well go after an ace IMO, not a position player. Not that I'm looking to trade Pearson, I'm just thinking realistically. The cost for a signed Lindor will be expensive.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
“That impacts the market for another Blue Jays target in George Springer, with whom they’ve progressed beyond just talking. Same thing with Michael Brantley, but while his left-handed bat and offensive profile are perfect for the batting order, how he fits defensively is less seamless. Since he’s limited to left field and DH, that means pushing Lourdes Gurriel Jr. out of a spot in which he just started settling in.”

Bruh, we are going after both Springer and Brantley eh?

Ight Shapiro. Do your best
I think it's one or the other. I'd love to have another lefty bat like Brantley, but Springer simply brings more to the table. Springer would be a massive upgrade on defense and offense. Hes a great player. It's crazy how deep the lineup could get with just a few signings and with the kids a year better.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I dont think Gurriel will ever be the big piece in a trade for a signed Lindor. Gurriel is young, but not that young. I think we'd be looking more at trade chips like Pearson if we're getting a superstar SS in return(who's signed). If you're willing to trade someone like a Pearson, you may as well go after an ace IMO, not a position player. Not that I'm looking to trade Pearson, I'm just thinking realistically. The cost for a signed Lindor will be expensive.

There's no way Cleveland gets a Pearson-level prospect for Lindor

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There's no way Cleveland gets a Pearson-level prospect for Lindor
For a 5+WAR SS? They'll get pretty close to that, and more players on top. Historically, you'll get 3-4 prospects in return, with the focus being 1 blue chip prospect, like Pearson, and you'll be lucky if one of those prospects works out.

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
For a 5+WAR SS? They'll get pretty close to that, and more players on top. Historically, you'll get 3-4 prospects in return, with the focus being 1 blue chip prospect, like Pearson, and you'll be lucky if one of those prospects works out.

That would have been true a couple years ago. They are not getting a pearson level prospect even for a signed Lindor in this age of teams holding their top prospects.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The key word is historically. Recent history suggests otherwise.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Marte got 2 mid tier prospects last offseason.

1) Keep in mind that Lindor is a 1 year player (the ability to potentially re-sign him at full price is a negligible benefit)

2) Pearson is worth more by himself than any other offer they will receive.

3) Their deadline hints that they value quantity and Mlb ready so guys like Espinal and Tellez could have value.

Reactions: Forgotusername

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
End Of An Era, Mike Wilner Gone From Blue Jays Broadcast Team, New Stadium Talk & More
Here’s what puzzles me the most.

Every day there are multiple reports of 1 Blue Jays interest in class A free agents and trades for big salaried stars. The like of which we have not seen in years.

The curious part is that I am told by many close to the action that Shapiro, at this moment in time does not have a budget for the upcoming season.

Why is that?

There appears to be some friction between those responsible for shareholder value and one Edward Rogers. Some believe that the family wants to win badly and recognizes this is the time to strike. The story goes that those with offices on Jarvis are putting up quite a fight.

Is it possible that the likes of super-agent Scott Boras and USA based media members are stroking the appetite of Mr. Rogers to get him to win the battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->