Speculation: Off Season - Or this is where we say goodbye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
As I said, we're not going to see much in way of change from last year until next year.
I'm thinking someone will have to be either traded or bought out due to our little cap space. If Backstrom somehow didn't re-sign, which I doubt it, the lineup would probably be nearly identical without Bouchard and Clark.

The off-season just got more interesting to follow. That should make GMCF's job a little bit harder.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm thinking someone will have to be either traded or bought out due to our little cap space. If Backstrom somehow didn't re-sign, which I doubt it, the lineup would probably be nearly identical without Bouchard and Clark.

And without Cullen as well. It's time for the rookies to step up.

The off-season just got more interesting to follow. That should make GMCF's job a little bit harder.

To be honest, this offseason is going to be a bit boring

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
When the Wild acquired Jason Pominville on April 3, the team seemed destined to use a compliance buyout this offseason on veteran Dany Heatley.

That’s now unlikely to happen.

He[Heatley] underwent surgery five days later and was given a four- to six-month recovery time.

“We have a few different ways we can get to the cap,” General Manager Chuck Fletcher said Monday. “We have options, but some things are easier done than others.”
Heatley injury has Wild dealing with tight salary cap

Billy Mays Here*

Starting to think Cullen is gone. Just hope Fletcher isn't dumb enough to get rid or Gilbert.

Billy Mays Here*

Well I don't expect it to be as exciting as last off-season, but I'm certainly expecting a move or two now that it seems buying out Heater isn't an option.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Considering how long the Wild have waited before to sign Zenon (2008 IIRC), Konopka sure has a certain value to other teams. No doubt. I honestly didn't think he'd be on the market but I remembered about something.

Jake Dowell will be on a 1-way deal next season so one of Rupp or Konopka likely has to go. Can't have those 3 with such a tight salary cap in that situation.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Didn't Russo say he MIGHT be a candidate? I don't think he'll be traded. No reason to trade Z at all, unless it's used to balance a bigger deal.

If I were GM, I'd trade Heatley to whoever wants him. He should still fetch either an okay prospect or a mid-round pick. I'd be in talks with Bouchard, ask what he wants. Trade Gilbert. No reason to have 4 million $ in 3rd pairing. Package him with Clutter and trade our way into the 1st round. Bring Gunnarsson over from Sweden, if he's not NHL ready, send him to Iowa and hand Prosser the last spot with the big boys.

Biggest needs are #2C and a top-4 D-man. Technically, Brodz can be used as a stop-gap, in case we fail to re-sign Cullen. Granlund should be given a shot, and so should Coyle. Hell, Torrey Mitchell might just work with two speedy wingers...

Take a long look at Justin Fontaine. If he's ready, we should at least CONSIDER trading Seto, as much as we need that kind of a guy.

All in all, I'm expecting to see something like this:

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Mitchell - Pominville
Granlund - Brodziak - Seto/Fonz
Veilleux - Konopka - Dowell
McMillan, Palmer

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Stoner - Prosser
Falk

Bäckström
Harding

EDIT: Just read Fel's post above. Out of the three, I think Rupp will be gone. Probably a low pick or a struggling prospect.

Last edited:

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Well I don't expect it to be as exciting as last off-season, but I'm certainly expecting a move or two now that it seems buying out Heater isn't an option.

They will maybe buy out Gilbert, obviously Bouch will walk and Backstrom will be re-signed for around $3M. Cullen if he does, around $2M.

Gilbert's play can be so easily replaced with any free agent d-man this summer. Gilbert also hasn't finished as a plus in his career since his first season I am pretty sure. He is one of the weak points on our team, and obviously the org does not have a ton of faith in him. He played 3rd pairing for a good majority of this last season. Not worth $4M. Best buyout option, really the only one after Heatley.

I really hope Cullen and Backs take home-town discounts, that would be a blessing. Cullen loves playing in his home state and Backstrom pretty much said he can't see himself anywhere else.

It's going to be a decently entertaining summer, and I expect us to move up in the draft. Fletch always has a trick up his sleeve, all of his trades are a puzzle and lead up to something else.

The Center Situation - I hope Coyle is tried at center, because I would love to see him at 2C.

If Backstrom isn't re signed who will the Wild go after in free agency? Some familiar names: Anton Khudobin (we got ripped off in his trade), Jose Theodore (ugh). Evgeni Nabokov, Tim Thomas, Ray Emery.

After listing those names, I really want Backstrom to stay.

Russo said in this article: http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/211926501.html

Trading block may look something like Tom Gilbert, Zenon Konopka, maybe Cal Clutterbuck.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
It's a given that Pierre-Marc is gone. As much as I love him, I can most definitely admit it.

He also said on a TV show recently this: "With the way it's going on right now, I probably expect to go to a new direction and live a new adventure with another team". - His own words (Link)

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
It's a given that Pierre-Marc is gone. As much as I love him, I can most definitely admit it.

He also said on a TV show recently this: "With the way it's going on right now, I probably expect to go to a new direction and live a new adventure with another team". - His own words (Link)

Yeah I heard about that. Sucks, I just got my Grandma into hockey this last season and her favorite player is Bouchard :handclap:

80 year old Wild fan

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
I'd like to point out that Fletcher has also to deal with the future of Justin Fontaine, David McIntyre, Carson McMillan, Steven Kampfer, Drew Bagnall, Kyle Medvec, Joel Broda, Jarod Palmer and Tyler Cuma this off-season.

EDIT: Oh and Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers as well but I think he's gone with Johan Gustafsson *potentially* coming to NA next season.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.975m)
Jason Zucker ($0.833m) / Matt Cullen ($3.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Mikael Granlund ($2.100m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Jason Pominville ($4.505m)
Stephane Veilleux ($0.588m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m)
Jake Dowell ($0.700m) / Justin Fontaine ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jonas Brodin ($1.444m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Jared Spurgeon ($1.750m)
Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Nate Prosser ($0.825m)
Justin Falk ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($3.800m)
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mark Parrish ($0.928m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,513,034; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,611,966

Yeah, so basically: Trade Heater for whatever we can get, trade Gilbert + Clutter for pick/picks and sign our UFA:s (minus Clark and Bouchard).

OpRedDawn*

If they can't sign Cullen, i'd sure hope that it's seto who would be the trade bait going forward. He's lost without Cully

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I figured we wouldn't be able to buy Heatley out. ****. I'm guessing that was the plan until his injury.

If they can't sign Cullen, i'd sure hope that it's seto who would be the trade bait going forward. He's lost without Cully

I have to agree with this. If Cullen walks, there's no way we can get rid of another top9 center (Brodziak) and Seto's a strong candidate to go instead.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Don't think it's a good idea to let the best Wild player in the playoffs go sign with another team.

Cullen I think will be in high demand. Veteran player, top 6 center. I figure someone might overpay for him. The question is, does Cullen go after the money or does he stay? It's a 50/50 chance.

Maybe for you but not for me.

Just wait and see till the end of the week, for example.

No 1st round draft pick, tight up against the cap, unless Minnesota trades one of their big guys (Pom, Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker), I don't think we're going to see much roster change and the 'big' free agents aren't going to come here. I know the free agency for other teams will be exciting with the compliance buyouts but Minnesota is pretty much set going into the next season with what we have now, minus a player or two on the bottom 6 and top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad