Off-Season Moves Your GM Regrets

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Gustavsson is probably only one

Agreed on that. I really wanted us to go after Hutton or Johnson. I guess we took too much time to sign that position. Gus has been what he always has been. Two good games, two stinkers. I didn't like it then and I like it less now.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I imagine the only regret Kekalainen has at this point is that he didn't find a way to trade Tyutin and Boll instead of having to buy them out. :dunno:

Davidson and Kekalainen said they regret not re-signing DMac without referring to him by name. Granted, the move didn't happen this offseason but the admission did.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Holland counting his chickens before they hatched w/ the Datsyuk contract and Stamkos.

Since it blew up in his face and didn't go as planned, he wasted the cap on a buncha scrubs in typical Kenny H fashion.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Holland counting his chickens before they hatched w/ the Datsyuk contract and Stamkos.

Since it blew up in his face and didn't go as planned, he wasted the cap on a buncha scrubs in typical Kenny H fashion.

Nielsen is good but I thought that was a ridiculous contract for a team at the stage it is. Hanging on hope to get in to the playoffs is my only way to see the reasoning behind it. Just delaying the rebuild that has to happen or using him as a mentor I guess. Just stood out to me as a bit of an odd deal. I like the player a lot I just question if it was best for the team. One could argue it either way I guess.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Haha, this crossed my mind right away.

Stepan for Zib wouldn't have happened if the whole "Left handed centre for Ryan" thing was really a big part of the trade, along with the money. On top of which, he costs almost the whole big 2 million we were trying to avoid paying - per year. Kreider for Zib +2nd would've been more feasible in terms of those two points, but he's signed long term at a great deal so probably a non-starter for the Rangers.

Regardless, Zib still has more points, despite playing almost half the games.

Safe to say the Brassard project was a fail. He was brought in for two reasons:
A) Play with Ryan - that hasn't worked out, for either of them.
B) Inject our team with a more defensively minded center. I think all our centers are already that in Turris, Pageau, Lazar/Kelly. Zibanejad was no slouch defensively himself.

Brassard seems more like a liability than a shut down centre when out there. Zibanejad atleast would win us some games single handedly when he was here. Even if he didn't get Ryan to produce.

/rant

I don't know where you got the impression that Brassard is a defensive-minded center, but he's certainly not. I can only speak for the time he spent with the Rangers, but I had always thought his defensive positioning was fine/slightly above average. Some lazy defensive plays here and there was his only problem on defense. But he's an offensively minded guy who usually looked pass first, but could snipe one himself if that's what the chance allowed.

Zibanejad may have singlehandedly won the Sens some games (was it him who scored against us in OT in our 2012 series?), but Brassard may have single handedly won the Rangers some playoff series while he was here, so I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

lolwut?

I don't think Darren Helm should have been re-signed, but Ott is making a minimum and is a capable NHL fourth liner. Thomas Vanek has been awesome and Frans Nielsen is third on the team in points despite playing the last ten games with Glendening.

Signings were fine, though I wish Helmer wasn't re-signed. Datsyuk trade was good too.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
lolwut?

I don't think Darren Helm should have been re-signed, but Ott is making a minimum and is a capable NHL fourth liner. Thomas Vanek has been awesome and Frans Nielsen is third on the team in points despite playing the last ten games with Glendening.

Signings were fine, though I wish Helmer wasn't re-signed. Datsyuk trade was good too.

To this day I can remember article on nhl.com that said something like with Lidstrom retiring can danny dekeyser take over the reigns as red wings continue to extend their playoff streak?

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Boedker looked like a bad signing to start the year, but he's really been playing very well the last week or two. Hoping it's a sign he's finally gotten used to his new team and is showing the player he really is. If he continues that level of play, then I'll say I'm just fine with all of our offseason moves. (and quietly ecstatic about the Schlemko signing. Not only is he light years better than Polak, Dillon has been night and day better having Schlemko as a partner this year.)

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Florida: Everything.

Not at all.

Getting Yandle was great.
Getting Demers was good.
Gudbranson - McCann trade was good.
Kulikov - Pysyk trade was awesome.

Nothing to complain about with signing Marchessault and Scevior

Trocheck and Huberdeau re signings were very good.

Ekblad re-signing was premature and if they had waited until further into the offseason until Hedman's deal it would have been less, but they would have had to bridge deal after the poor season he's having this year.

Smith is currently overpaid, but can still live up to it.

Reimer hasn't been great, we haven't seen Berra.

Overall it was a good offseason, but the in season with Gallant and Rowe and letting analytics takeover completely has been a nightmare.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Not at all.

Getting Demers was good.

Ekblad re-signing was premature and if they had waited until further into the offseason until Hedman's deal it would have been less, but they would have had to bridge deal after the poor season he's having this year.

Overall it was a good offseason, but the in season with Gallant and Rowe and letting analytics takeover completely has been a nightmare.

Pysyk kulikov is stating to look worse as pysyk is getting exposed the more minutes he plays.. solid 3rd pair guy but he's not kulikov who handles 20 mins easily.. demers isn't good he is very average... either he's really good or really bad.. needs to level out but so far jury is out.. Mcann was invisible and is now in ahl and not really doing anything great down there though he has picked it up lately so jury is out again.. Matheson handed top4 mins was a disaster

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wild off season moves I'm pretty happy with. Much happier now than when the Vanek, Staal, Stewart deals were made.

Not trading for RNH/Stepan is probably GMCF's best (non)move.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The Gudbranson trade is a major flop for the Canucks.

Gudbranson's contract is going to be ugly this next off-season.

He's getting outplayed by a 5'9" Rookie, although that rookie has played like a absolute monster for us. Plus we have Tanev, who is 10x better then Gudbranson.

I hope we trade Gudbranson at the deadline to someone that is willing to give us at least something in return.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not at all.

Getting Demers was good.

Music to my ears.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
-Allowing Borowiecki to not only have a contract, but express himself verbally to the media.
-Considering retaining Zack Smith
-Re-signing Neil
-Making Lazar play at the NHL level too early
-Not trading Anderson whilst keeping LEhner/Bishop

I could go on, but P.R. Dorion has a lot of messes to fix whilst placating an intensely emotional and "in the now" owner. I do not envy him this task.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The only move I can see Francis regretting is something that was a nothing move to begin with: signing Nakladal. He just didn't work out here.

Wiz buyout was the right call
Letting Nash, Terry, Malone, Gerbe walk was definitely the right call
Bringing back Ryan when it seemed like he was signing in Switzerland was big
Stempniak has been alright
Tennyson has been alright
Stalberg has been a great 4th liner/PKer
Leighton has been great in Charlotte and a very necessary emergency option
Bickell was fine before the MS diagnosis
TT took a while to get going but he's fitting nicely now
Claiming Dahlbeck off waivers was a necessity from an expansion draft standpoint

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2