Off-Season Moves Your GM Regrets

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
didnt realize gorton gave him 6 years 5.5m per and a NMC this summer...

Was it particularly this offseason? Misread that. My bad.

If so, I think we had a great offseason, so I have nothing.

Maybe trading Brassard, but it wasn't a bad trade. Brassard's just not the center I would have traded...

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
ehhhh... OTT... not much

resume the offseason

Sign C. Kelly (UFA)
Trade for Brassard (Ottawa/Hull Native)
Sign Pyatt at Camp

hmmmm what's to regret...?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Any moves your guys GMs made this off-season that are beginning to look like bad moves. I'll start:

The Devils had a relatively quiet off-season but one move they made was that they let David Schlemko walk to SJ and signed Lovejoy to a higher AAV. Well now Schlemko continues to look like a really solid #4 defenseman while Lovejoy has regressed and is barely looking like a bottom pairing defenseman.

How about your teams?

Schlemko was a pleasant surprise last year, but I don't know how much better the defense would have been with him instead of Lovejoy. The thought with Lovejoy was getting a right handed D to help replace Larsson's minutes, especially on the PK.

Schlemko did a nice job on the 2nd PP unit last year which was quietly in the top 10.

Fixing the D wasn't going to happen overnight, so while it stinks to watch this current unit, I can't say it's completely unexpected.

2015-16 breakdown in minutes:
Larsson: 22:30/game, 18:59 at even strength, 0:10 on PP, 3:20 on PK
Schlemko: 18:38/game, 15:03 at even strength, 2:00 on PP, 1:34 on PK

2016-17 breakdown in minutes:
Lovejoy: 20:13/game, 16:44 at even strength, 0:05 on PP, 3:24 on PK
Schlemko: 17:12/game, 14:51 at even strength, 1:53 on PP, 0:27 on PK

Lovejoy was more to fill Larsson's PK role. Devils were maybe hoping Auvitu could step into Schlemko's 3rd pair/2nd PP unit QB role.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Trading Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard. Our owner handicapped Dorion by making him pay the 2nd round pick so New York would pay for the signing bonus, but even straight up it's a bad trade for Ottawa. Zibanejad is breaking out in NYC while Brassard hasn't looked great at all in Ottawa

I agreed with this until I realized you were a Sens fan. Zibanejad looked fine the first couple of weeks but the only thing he broke lately was his leg.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Was it particularly this offseason? Misread that. My bad.

If so, I think we had a great offseason, so I have nothing.

Maybe trading Brassard, but it wasn't a bad trade. Brassard's just not the center I would have traded...

Should've done Stepan for Zibanejad and 2nd....

Or were you going for Hayes?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I imagine the only regret Kekalainen has at this point is that he didn't find a way to trade Tyutin and Boll instead of having to buy them out. :dunno:
for the sake of discussion I'd say picking PLD at 3. Not having a great draft+1 year which means nothing but could end up being regretful. Is Logan Brown doing well? I would say we could have had Puljujarvi but right now he's playing average and I would rather have Gagner over him in our current line up. Long term obviously not but **** long term if we win this year haha.

Basically the biggest thing that is a possible Maaaaaaaaaaybe is the 3rd overall choice which likely was a great pick regardless

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Trading Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard. Our owner handicapped Dorion by making him pay the 2nd round pick so New York would pay for the signing bonus, but even straight up it's a bad trade for Ottawa. Zibanejad is breaking out in NYC while Brassard hasn't looked great at all in Ottawa

Well, he's breaking something in NYC anyway... :sarcasm:

Get well soon Zibby

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Well when we signed Radulov it was considered a huge mistake by most of the non Hab fans on this board so that must be it.:sarcasm:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Was worried about the guys the Flames didn't bother to qualify but now seeing how guys like Colborne and Jooris are doing, good call management.

Still like the Flames off season

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Well, he's breaking something in NYC anyway... :sarcasm:

Get well soon Zibby

Haha, this crossed my mind right away.

Stepan for Zib wouldn't have happened if the whole "Left handed centre for Ryan" thing was really a big part of the trade, along with the money. On top of which, he costs almost the whole big 2 million we were trying to avoid paying - per year. Kreider for Zib +2nd would've been more feasible in terms of those two points, but he's signed long term at a great deal so probably a non-starter for the Rangers.

Regardless, Zib still has more points, despite playing almost half the games.

Safe to say the Brassard project was a fail. He was brought in for two reasons:
A) Play with Ryan - that hasn't worked out, for either of them.
B) Inject our team with a more defensively minded center. I think all our centers are already that in Turris, Pageau, Lazar/Kelly. Zibanejad was no slouch defensively himself.

Brassard seems more like a liability than a shut down centre when out there. Zibanejad atleast would win us some games single handedly when he was here. Even if he didn't get Ryan to produce.

/rant

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Was worried about the guys the Flames didn't bother to qualify but now seeing how guys like Colborne and Jooris are doing, good call management.

Still like the Flames off season

Well...signing Niklas Grossmann turned out to be a mistake but he only played (terribly) in a couple of games before going back home.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
for the sake of discussion I'd say picking PLD at 3. Not having a great draft+1 year which means nothing but could end up being regretful. Is Logan Brown doing well? I would say we could have had Puljujarvi but right now he's playing average and I would rather have Gagner over him in our current line up. Long term obviously not but **** long term if we win this year haha.

Basically the biggest thing that is a possible Maaaaaaaaaaybe is the 3rd overall choice which likely was a great pick regardless
Well, there's also the fact that Rene Bourque is doing improbably well in Colorado and we could have kept him, but... nahhh. We got the better value signing. It's all good. :D

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Not ending the last practice ten minutes earlier.

That's all I got...but it cost them a lot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
ehhhh... OTT... not much

resume the offseason

Sign C. Kelly (UFA)
Trade for Brassard (Ottawa/Hull Native)
Sign Pyatt at Camp

hmmmm what's to regret...?

missing out on numerous Free Agents to improve the team
e.g. Seidenberg, Eric Staal, Gagner, the list goes on

Lose Zibanejad a 23 y/o 50pt C and a 2nd hoping for a Center that would help and hasn't ... yet (30 games in)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad